Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think so too. I have more pics put for some reason my camera phone isn't sending them to my email.

Wonder if insurance comp will pay out the book value?

I appraised my car at Edmunds.com and I'm hoping for at least 15k.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
unless you had some type of rider on the ins policy *doubtful*, then yea, the most they are going to pay is bluebook value. What happened to that thing tho? Looks like you nailed a brick wall.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
It looks that way, but you never know with the insurance co.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
um i hope you arent serious...

good luck trying to get full blue book value. one of my IS's was "totalled" last year. 10 months later i still havent seen a penny (other than medical). my lawyers are suing my insurance company (state farm) and the insurance company (the hartford) of the guy who hit me. by the time its all over ill be getting way over blue book. but its been on hell of a hassle. my situation is different from yours a bit, but no matter... just make sure that your car is totalled. there is absolutely no way that car should be fixed. and if the insurance adjuster thinks differently, get yourself a good lawyer.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Looks totalled from me, it probably could be repaired but it would cost the insurance company too much so its not worth it.

You probably wouldn't want it anyways if it was repaired, after major accidents like that the cars are never quite exactly the same again.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
apologies to the people who have seen this picture a million times already... but this is also a "totalled" IS

compare that to the picture you have posted and obviously yours is beyond repair.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
scruffyburritos said:
um i hope you arent serious...

good luck trying to get full blue book value. one of my IS's was "totalled" last year. 10 months later i still havent seen a penny (other than medical). my lawyers are suing my insurance company (state farm) and the insurance company (the hartford) of the guy who hit me. by the time its all over ill be getting way over blue book. but its been on hell of a hassle. my situation is different from yours a bit, but no matter... just make sure that your car is totalled. there is absolutely no way that car should be fixed. and if the insurance adjuster thinks differently, get yourself a good lawyer.
yes, ive read your story before. Im sorry you are having difficulties getting your money. I however have never had problems getting money for a claim from my insurance company. I hope you dont think that what you are going through is the norm.... because it is not.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Totaled all the way. Hope you have that gap insurance on your policy

-Shawn

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
HoustonLex said:
yes, ive read your story before. Im sorry you are having difficulties getting your money. I however have never had problems getting money for a claim from my insurance company. I hope you dont think that what you are going through is the norm.... because it is not.

oh i know its not normal... nothing about my situation is normal.

but im just saying, this person could end up in a similair situation if they dont make sure that car gets totaled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the gap policy?

Well looks like I'll have to deal with the royal screwing by Allstate
Adjuster is not going to total it. He said in order for insurance companies to total the car, the estimate has to exceed 60% of the value of the car minus non safety repairs.
Agent says the car's NADA or ADA value is 19000. It's a 2001 with 68k miles.

I don't know what to do. I'm having savage buyers place bids on it.
I'm not sure if using a 3rd appraiser will get my car claimed totaled in order to get my full amount from the insurance company.
The shop says it is definitely totaled, but the insurance company is screwing around with the appraisal.
ugh I hope this doesn't lead to hiring a lawyer.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
the car looks totaled to me. looking at the picture i would think the damages are more than $12,000 and assuming the value of your car is $19,000, then that is more than the 60% rule by your insurance company. and why would they have to exclude the non-safety repairs in figuring out the 60% rule? they should take the total cost of bringing back the car in it's shape and condition prior to the accident and compare that with your blue book value. in my opinion your adjuster looks like he is playing god. if i were you, i would request for another adjuster. you may also want to get an opinion from different body shops and take the highest estimate.

i had a 2003 IS. i had to file a claim to replace two of my front wheels and tires, headlights, grill, repaint the hood, replace the front bumper and the added labor from the body shop. the cost was over $5,000. yours looks A LOT LOT worse than my car.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Your car is definitely TOTALED. I got in a front end fender bender about 2 months ago and my damage was about 1/5th of that. My repair bill was $4,500. Just a painted OEM hood is more than $600 add in $400 for both headlight fixtures (not the light JUST THE FIXTURE), $400 for a new bumper, $500 for a radiator, $400 for an air conditioning condensor, need I go on????

·
Registered
536 Posts
rxis said:
What is the gap policy?

Well looks like I'll have to deal with the royal screwing by Allstate
Adjuster is not going to total it. He said in order for insurance companies to total the car, the estimate has to exceed 60% of the value of the car minus non safety repairs.
Agent says the car's NADA or ADA value is 19000. It's a 2001 with 68k miles.

I don't know what to do. I'm having savage buyers place bids on it.
I'm not sure if using a 3rd appraiser will get my car claimed totaled in order to get my full amount from the insurance company.
The shop says it is definitely totaled, but the insurance company is screwing around with the appraisal.
ugh I hope this doesn't lead to hiring a lawyer.
Just a thought: Maybe they are appraising the damage and using the cost of generic repair parts to come up with their estimate? Make sure their estimate is for genuine Toyota/Lexus parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The adjuster said that they can take the front part of another is300 that had rear end damage and replace my front end with it. It is "common" according to the agent. Man what a mess. I can't believe this is even happening. I've been a good customer for 3 years with 3 cars.

Who do I speak to about another adjuster? The claims rep? I doubt they would even comply with my request.
Can I have the car towed for another estimate and have my insurance pay for it?

I'm assuming that they will drop me from coverage if I don't do things their way.

May the Lord help me. Seriously.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
rxis said:
The adjuster said that they can take the front part of another is300 that had rear end damage and replace my front end with it. It is "common" according to the agent. Man what a mess. I can't believe this is even happening. I've been a good customer for 3 years with 3 cars.

Who do I speak to about another adjuster? The claims rep? I doubt they would even comply with my request.
Can I have the car towed for another estimate and have my insurance pay for it?

I'm assuming that they will drop me from coverage if I don't do things their way.

May the Lord help me. Seriously.

chop shop your car? they want to frankensteinize your car? hell no! i would not let them do that to my car if i were you. your adjuster told you that he will get some parts from the junk yard to replace the damages to your car? :lol: if he insist, kill him.

just call your insurance company and request for another adjuster. this is the same thing i had to go through when i filed my claim on my first IS300. i don't know about your insurance co., but some insurance companies the adjusters are not their employees. and you can request to have a different adjuster appraise the damages to your car.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
ISteve said:
Just a thought: Maybe they are appraising the damage and using the cost of generic repair parts to come up with their estimate? Make sure their estimate is for genuine Toyota/Lexus parts.

i concur. you can also ask the body shop to list the parts they need and you can take the list directly to a lexus parts department.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts