Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there have been any recent offerings for an improved torque converter. Did the search fuction and have checked around at the sites I'm aware of and have not noticed anything new and or improved. I'm just thinking that since some of the tuners now offer a real shift kit/valve body upgrade that the next step would be something a little better than the Dragon converter that most people have some complaints about.

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey..i went to suprastore.com...they have tons of stuff for IS's there..including a torque converter. the only catch is that i've heard bad things about there shipping and all that...so... take your chance i guess..? but they have tons of good stuff for the 2JZ...pulleys, cams, etc.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only dealt with them for a Blitz rad cap. They were fine with that small transaction although I e mailed them a few times regarding the converter you mentioned. They never replied.
I have been doing some research on this topic and have contacted a company that offers a 9" converter with a 2.5-1 torque ratio. I will let you know how I make out with this converter if you wish. I'm trying to stay away from the purple dragon if possible :roll:

·
Registered
328 Posts
yea

yea keep in touch about the converter....SRT's price for the dragon...a bit rediculous

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do that. The converter that I am having built is actually a little more than the dragon costs but will be well worth it. Will update when installed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
toyomoto and ESk

whats your opinion..im guessin toyomoto headers?...how are they (if u have them)...and the ESK...is it worth it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't regret any of the N/A mods. I may not have spent money on some since FI is in my sights, but I didn't really expect to mod the IS when first purchased. It was my driver and my 1999 GSX was my toy.
I have the Toyomoto header and it's fine. The quality/gain of the race pipe doesn't seem as good as the xerd though. The ESK is the best thing since sliced bread for auto cars. I know that there are actual valve body upgrades now replacing the need for the ESK but not everyone will want or seek those. I personally will be getting the valve body upgrade after I install my new converter. I also have a trans cooler installed for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
rontezza1 said:
I personally will be getting the valve body upgrade after I install my new converter. I also have a trans cooler installed for obvious reasons.
which new torque converter are you getting? i'm on the market for one as well and have been looking around...

and what obvious reasons do you have a trans cooler installed? please explain, curious to know...

dont know of anyone with one other then kanine21 on the auto...

·
Registered
328 Posts
esk..

so your that impressed with the ESK?...im lookin into it...but i heard mixed reviews...as for everything else, nice job on the NA setup.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Re: esk..

SpectraIS3 said:
so your that impressed with the ESK?...im lookin into it...but i heard mixed reviews...as for everything else, nice job on the NA setup.
I wouldnt reccomend an older used ESK, just cuz of so many mixed reviews and an instance where a unit melted....

stay tuned for their new upgraded version if and when it comes out according to TBKO's website...

·
Registered
328 Posts
yea

yea, i kno...youd think someone would try to improve it or make something else....it would be sweet to have a really good auto shift kit upgrades for us '01s..and perhaps....'02 and up that made mistakes... 8)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my ESK is the "old" one I think. That thing is switched on 5 minutes after I start the car - every time. Since I read the melting incidents I have been checking the box and it seems to warm up quite a bit but has not melted as of yet. It's hard to drive w/o the ESK on once you use it. The stock shifts are just tooooo smooth for me. IMO

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
rontezza1 said:
I personally will be getting the valve body upgrade after I install my new converter. I also have a trans cooler installed for obvious reasons.
which new torque converter are you getting? i'm on the market for one as well and have been looking around...

and what obvious reasons do you have a trans cooler installed? please explain, curious to know...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I installed the trans cooler due to the upcoming TC upgrade. The new higher stall, smaller diamerter converter will heat things up more so than stock. Plus the car will be driven harder again making things a bit more toasty in there. Just some added assurance to keep things cool. I used the a B&M(16,000 GVW) unit I picked up from Jeg's at a very reasonable price.
As for the TC, I will post Brand, specs, and cost real soon. I really want to give a before and after performance eval before I let out the exact details. If I lived in a warmer climate, I would have this information a lot sooner. Brrrrrrr
Damn north east winters!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I've always wanted a nice T/C too, but I've heard bad things about them from other members on the forums. If someone finds a good one that doesn't fail or give huge amounts of noise, that'd be great.......

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Re: esk..

tsopranoMB said:
SpectraIS3 said:
I wouldnt reccomend an older used ESK, just cuz of so many mixed reviews and an instance where a unit melted....

stay tuned for their new upgraded version if and when it comes out according to TBKO's website...
TBKO discontinued the ESK as everyone knows it. The new shift kit may not even be called an ESK as the idea around it is so different.

For those of you who have not read or heard about it yet, the new TBKO shift kit will be a combination of electronics and some hardware. The hardness of each shift and shift points will be programmable so that you can change it on the fly. i.e. if you have your grandparents in the car (or something) and don't want hard shifts, just change it electronically, then after they get out, on the way home, turn it up and shift away with hard shifts that bark gears :wink:

Last I checked, the software was in development so it is a work still in progress.

-SXiS

·
1,717 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
tsopranoMB said:
rontezza1 said:

I have had one for about 2 years if your intrested in one PM me

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
rontezza1 said:
I installed the trans cooler due to the upcoming TC upgrade. The new higher stall, smaller diamerter converter will heat things up more so than stock. Plus the car will be driven harder again making things a bit more toasty in there. Just some added assurance to keep things cool. I used the a B&M(16,000 GVW) unit I picked up from Jeg's at a very reasonable price.
As for the TC, I will post Brand, specs, and cost real soon. I really want to give a before and after performance eval before I let out the exact details. If I lived in a warmer climate, I would have this information a lot sooner. Brrrrrrr
Damn north east winters!
I bought and installed the same B&M Tranny cooler. I did it just to be safe, especially since my sights are on FI as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.