Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since when did Toronto become so afraid of the snow and winter? Every time there's the slightest snowfall the media breaks out their various "Storm Centers" speaking to us as if the world is going to end? 2cm of snow fall on the ground and the City grinds to a halt! :confused: A few cm of snow and people may actually even stay home from work! It's just snow!

When the Grey Cup (CFL) was hosted here... people from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, etc. were laughing at us because people were complaining about temperatures just above freezing as being "horrifically cold". They laughed even harder when Grey Cup pre-game festivities were moved indoors.

It's just snow! We used to play in this stuff as kids right? I don't remember things being so bad when I was younger... but every winter... the fear of snow seems to get stronger and stronger many people.

Is it like this in other parts of Canada? Should drivers be made to take mandatory courses to familiarize them with winter driving?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That being said... I hope everybody is careful this weekend. There's no need to be scared of the weather... but everybody should be careful and use common sense. If you indeed don't have any control when driving... then stay home. But otherwise... just be careful.

I was out tonight and yes it was slippery... but it was still manageable. With the snow mode on... I really didn't have issues driving in the few inches of built up snow and slop that was on the roads.

Most people I saw were driving pretty reasonably... although there were some that were driving TOO SLOW on the left lanes of roads/highways. What resulted was people getting squirrely trying to get around them.

The biggest issue I saw was people drifting in and out of lanes. Even if the road is covered in snow... you should still have a sense of where you are! If there's three lines of traffic on the highway... then follow one of those lines! Don't just drift around at your own free-will. :pissed:

Hmm... also while not on my side of the highway... I saw multiple incidents of cars involved in accidents and a number of cars turned the wrong way on the opposite lanes of the 401.

They say 25cm will fall by tomorrow morning. So have fun shoveling... and drifting! :p

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I travel back and forth between Calgary and Toronto a lot. I have to agree, Torontonians are wusses when it comes to snow. And, yes, it's true, you guys provide a lot of entertainment for the rest of Canada when it comes to the white stuff, LOL. Oh no!! 10cm!! Call in the reserves!!!! :p

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Wimps? Why don't you go for a drive right now. Go on. Go.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what??? I AM going to try driving outside now...

And here's what my car looks like! :shocked:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I agree with you crester on one side. we are canadians so we should be ready for this type of weather.

On the other hand denis is right..go for a drive..that shit is BAD! it took me over 45 min to get to toronto today.

The media will say anything to get attention. the would cry over 2cm of snow. they must be really shittin themselves today! 25CM!!!

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
You know what??? I AM going to try driving outside now...

And here's what my car looks like! :shocked:

Crester come pick me up and we'll go out for some wings and beer.

Judging by that pic of your car, you should be here by Tuesday. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
the weather is bad, but this is the time of the year where you can take your car out to have fun!!
i just had fun drifting around the lotttt lol
its amazing
got stuck from turning into a small road as well, but managed to get out by just reversing and driving back and forth a couple times
I had fun, even though its bad outside

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Toronto media uses the snow alerts like George bush uses the terror alerts.
Although London England does actually come to a complete stop with any snow on the ground. I remember as a kid having to take 30 minutes to collect snow in every corner possible just to make a kiwi sized snowball.

On a similar note i took my wife's FWD car out with her toyo garrits and those things are the shyt. I passed everything and stayed planted straight over all rifts , I am impressed. On a sad note my over priced Michelin alpin sports could not even get my LS out of my driveway and took ages to get back in but it is unplowed with no traffic in front of my house.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
hmm, all that heavy snow can't be good for your shocks .....

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Drive safe! Don't want to see any part-out threads because of the storm.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm like the neighbourhood snow plow... hahah
OEM bumpers can take beatings...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I was out all day sunday no drama but trac control was off,love it problem is in toronto drivers skills are so poor even on dry, so what scares me are the idiots around me

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I was out all day sunday no drama but trac control was off,love it problem is in toronto drivers skills are so poor even on dry, so what scares me are the idiots around me
Here Here!

·
Registered
152 Posts
with all that snow, i couldn't help myself but go out and have some fun...you're right, lot of idiots out there.

i did get stuck in a small plaza for 1/2 hour, rocking trying to get out of there. :p but other than that, i had a lot of fun drifting around town :)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While it looks like there are drivers on our forum with both common sense and skills... it doesn't look like that applies to Toronto in general. I just heard on the radio that the OPP is claiming over 1700 accidents have been reported!!! They just re-opened the 400 in the past few minutes after a multi-car collision there too.

So it looks like my original question and point still apply. So what do you think?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I stayed home yesterday, mostly because I didn't want to be driving out with other people on the road.

You know Canada's Worst Driver? I've watched some episodes. You can't imagine how bad some people are. In this weather it'll be even worse. I trust myself, but I sure as hell can't trust other people on the road.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toronto media uses the snow alerts like George bush uses the terror alerts.
Although London England does actually come to a complete stop with any snow on the ground. I remember as a kid having to take 30 minutes to collect snow in every corner possible just to make a kiwi sized snowball.

On a similar note i took my wife's FWD car out with her toyo garrits and those things are the shyt. I passed everything and stayed planted straight over all rifts , I am impressed. On a sad note my over priced Michelin alpin sports could not even get my LS out of my driveway and took ages to get back in but it is unplowed with no traffic in front of my house.
You know... before I was looking forward to possibly purchasing those Michelin Pilot Alpins for my next set of winter tires. I heard they allow you to have near summer tire performance in the dry... while still giving you some protection in the snow.

But after all your bad-mouthing of the tires... I'm having second thoughts. I have a friend with an STi who has Pilot Alpin PA3's... and he also bitches about their performance. :pissed:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm, all that heavy snow can't be good for your shocks .....
It's a new technique for lowering cars. Instead of getting lowering springs... you just put a lot of snow on the car until it weighs it downwards. Eventually the springs will remain at that height. :p

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I stayed home yesterday, mostly because I didn't want to be driving out with other people on the road.

You know Canada's Worst Driver? I've watched some episodes. You can't imagine how bad some people are. In this weather it'll be even worse. I trust myself, but I sure as hell can't trust other people on the road.
I have a friend who's worthy of being on that show. She is the sweetest thing in the world... but her driving skills are disastrous. It actually reached a point one time where I was out with her and I actually had to get her to pull over because I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up driving home! The worse part was... she didn't even have any idea how bad her driving was. But the drivers around her sure did. :blush:

Sweet girl... but driving is not something she should be doing. But then again... she passed all her driving tests on the first try! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts