Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right now I believe your DNA is collected and put into a database if you are CHARGED with murder. The Toronto Police Force want to change that rule so that ANYBODY ACCUSED OF ANY CRIME will have their DNA taken and stored in a database. So this potentially means... you could be accused of a crime... be found innocent... but still have your DNA stored in a Police database. The Police Chief says this would make fighting crime easier since everybody's DNA would be recorded. Others say... why should people have their DNA recorded like a criminal if they didn't do anything wrong.

Thoughts? I don't see why the Police should have my DNA... just because they want it.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
random.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I view that as invasion of privacy in some sorts. Thats just totally unnecessary. A lot of people would be against this for sure.

I understand their reasoning towards this, however just beacause its reasonable does not make it right.

·
Registered
159 Posts
well its not like they are going door to door taking peoples DNA. You have to commit a crime..and its true when somebody commits a crime they are more likely to do it again. I completely agree with this.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its not like they are going door to door taking peoples DNA. You have to commit a crime..and its true when somebody commits a crime they are more likely to do it again. I completely agree with this.
I don't think you understand... you don't have to commit a crime for this to happen. You just need to be accused of a crime... so you could still be innocent and have this happen to you.

This means I could goto the police today... and say you stole my car yesterday. Even tho you didn't do that... you'd still fall under this process.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't think you understand... you don't have to commit a crime for this to happen. You just need to be accused of a crime... so you could still be innocent and have this happen to you.
I'll rephrase. If i was accused of a crime and they did take my dna..what is the worst that could happen? I know myself im not a criminal and i'm not going to attack anyone. They can hang on to it if they want i don't care. But it is true, it would make crimes easier to solve.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Easier access to frame people i'd say.
Also, finding DNA in a crime scene is such hard evidence towards that individual, but now that they have such an easy access to everybodys DNA, to me, if they find DNA in a crime scene, it looses it's value i guess???

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
dna from birth.
you want to commit a crime why should i want to condone that.
Imagine if every stupid 15 year old who broke a car window to steal a radio was caught because the trace amount of blood on the glass was directed to him.
Who is going to loose the kid or society as a whole because we wanted to have the ability to hide and get away if we did something wrong .

but why is this posted in a car club?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
dna from birth.
you want to commit a crime why should i want to condone that.
Imagine if every stupid 15 year old who broke a car window to steal a radio was caught because the trace amount of blood on the glass was directed to him.
Who is going to loose the kid or society as a whole because we wanted to have the ability to hide and get away if we did something wrong .

but why is this posted in a car club?
...because it's a Canadian section of the forum... which is a hang out for Canadian owners... and this is Canadian news.

Think of this area as if it was a pub for Lexus owners... and once in a while they are going to think thoughts that are not explicitly about their car.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Easier access to frame people i'd say.
Also, finding DNA in a crime scene is such hard evidence towards that individual, but now that they have such an easy access to everybodys DNA, to me, if they find DNA in a crime scene, it looses it's value i guess???
One of my biggest concerns would be mis-use of the system. In an ideal world all the cops out there to serve the public to the best of their abilities. But we all know not all cops fly-straight.

The more information circulating out there about you... the more vulnerable you are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts