Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still deciding what to do for the winter...

right now im thinking of getting 17" all season tires for the car....I won't be driving that much during winter anyway...

I have just moved last year..doesnt know any shops around...know any places to look for good deals on tires??

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was thinking about all seasons too. Please help us, need input. Is all season enough for T.o? I heard Potenza RE950's are good. Anyone have them?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'd still suggest winter tires. Just because it's not worth messing up your IS300 to save a few bucks. Toronto can get crazy amounts of snow in the winter.

I'd get 16 inch winter tires. Their much cheaper than the 17" ones. Of course you will have to get 16" rims as well, but it's still worth it. (Use the money you save not buying 17" winter tires and having to install & balance at every turn of the seasons). If you don't drive much in the winter, then you can look at it this way: your winter tires will last a few more seasons...

As for which tires, I'm going for 205/55/H16 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's... They are a bit more expensive, but well worth it. Goto www.tirerack.com to do some research on different tires and then call around locally for the best prices, or buy through them...

Good luck!

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: IS300 Fanatic ]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just ordered a set of Toyo Garit HT's with BSA (model 210) rims 205/55HR16 from wheels-direct.com. They are in located in Scarborough, Ontario. I was going to go with the Pilot Alpins (only $20 more in total) which are apparently a bit quieter, but was told that the Toyos are much better in performance on snow and ice. The dealer told me that they fitted a lot of IS300's for last year's winter with the Toyos and apparently, most of the guys and gals in Quebec are running Toyos. I figured, if its good enough for l'hiver in la belle province, its good enough here in Ontario. Picking them up on Saturday.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought the TOYO Garit HT last winter 17" and they performed great in the SNOW & ICE from our Crappy Toronto Winter.

Cost me roughly $1000 for the 4 tires.

I dont recommend you guys buying all season tires...they really dont perform as well as winter tires.

Hey LUD I live in Ssauga too. Did you buy your 5 speed @ Erin Park?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My advice is to go with snow tires. The IS300's summer performance tires are dangerous in the snow. All season tires will cost as much as snow tires and will not offer that much of an improvement over the stock tires. I ended up getting a winter package last year from a place called Steelcase in Markham. I waited until the first snow fall and the selection was kinda limited (hint: get them now while there is lots to choose). Don't bother using the stock rims as the 17" tires are more expensive than the 16" snow tires. Also, going down a size gives you extra traction in the snow. Be very careful about rim selection. The brakes on the IS are fairly large and many aftermarket rims will not fit. I got my package from Steelcase because Don Valley Lexus helped them source some aftermarket RX300 aluminum rims that fit the IS300. The whole thing ended up costing around CND$1,500 installed. The thing I like about having them mounted on separate rims is that I can change them myself in my garage.

JordanK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts