Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. i did a search for this cuz i figured it would have been posted. didn't find anything really. so here is my question........

what is the top speed the IS 300 can cruise comfortably at??
and what is the max speed this thing can do if pushed to the limits.
in both these cases i'm talking about a stock IS.
Thanks.

ps. just got a new one, plan to find out myself but i'm breakin' it in for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
Grazniek said:
hey. i did a search for this cuz i figured it would have been posted. didn't find anything really. so here is my question........

what is the top speed the IS 300 can cruise comfortably at??
and what is the max speed this thing can do if pushed to the limits.
in both these cases i'm talking about a stock IS.
Thanks.

ps. just got a new one, plan to find out myself but i'm breakin' it in for now.
The IS cruises comfortably at pretty much any highway speed. I normally cruise at 80 MPH. The car at that speed on 5th gear still has enough low end torque to pass people. Downshifting to 4th would put the car right at the peak torque. The car is electronically limited to a little over 143 MPH. I've got it up to 140 and the ride is still smooth at those speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,585 Posts
cruising speed is directly related to road conditions...

In Houston, we have nice 16 lane bahemouth highways, that at 4am are desserted... you can safely and comfortably cruise at 120 the whole way home....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
120!! nice

now only if we had roads like that here in va or at least legally have a radar detector

i've taken my car up to 120mph before only once and the car seemed very stable at those speeds
 

·
Penetration Specialist
Joined
·
23,688 Posts
Inochi3 said:
i've taken my car up to 120mph before only once and the car seemed very stable at those speeds
I got it to 135 and it was smooth sailing. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,968 Posts
You are taking your life and the lives of others in your hands when you go way up into the 100s, so be careful. Even if the car is smooth and feels good, you could still blow a tire or something, and easily loose control.
That being said, I was driving the other day and the normal speed on the highway I was on was about 80-85. But there was a section whwere it was open road and I noticed I was going a good amount of mph. The car was so smooth I couldn't believe it. So before I brought it back down I went even a little higher. Just for a few seconds. I dont like living crazy and I dont care for driving fast just to go fast.
..Pic removed..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,968 Posts
Wino_II said:
Two things...

1. 105 degrees :eek:
2. Does your CD player not work?
Temp went up to 114 when I got where I was going.
I was playing MP3s off my Pocket PC
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
The top speed is NOT electronically limited, simply a lack of horsepower. It takes more and more horsepower to get going faster than 140+. That's why a 200mph is a BIG deal. Gotta be at least 500hp+.

Anyway, I've had my car to about 145. It was freaky there. But I suppose it was smooth. Not like an AMG Mercedes at that speed, but smooth enough...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
HoustonLex said:
cruising speed is directly related to road conditions...

In Houston, we have nice 16 lane bahemouth highways, that at 4am are desserted... you can safely and comfortably cruise at 120 the whole way home....
are you kidding me, 16 lane highways???!?!! we need some of that in the east over here, on I-495! (A traffic hell)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top