Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

10. BMW 750Li Hybrid: $2,641

Flashy, fast or luxurious cars tend to be expensive. It should come as no surprise then that they’re also among the most expensive cars to insure.

This list, provided by Insure.com shows us the most expensive cars to insure. Whether they’re more likely to get into an accident because of their high-powered engines, more likely to be stolen, or they’re just expensive to make and maintain, these cars cost quite a lot to insure.

How can a hybrid cost so much to insure? When it’s a BMW 750Li Active Hybrid, which has a twin-turbo V8 and starts at $101,000 it’s easy to see why this big BMW lands in 10th place on the list.
See the full list at AutoGuide.com

·
Deus Vult
7,023 Posts
Nothing shocking about that list.

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
How about they do "attainable to the average person" most expensive cars to insure. Say sub 50k initial MSRP.

I still want to know why the IS300 is so damn expensive to insure. I pay $2270/yr with a clean record. Full coverage with $1000 deductable. Yeah I know, right?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I never understood why the IS is so expensive either, I think the IS changed what classification of car it was categorized under like 2 or 3 times, that lead to its high insurance cost. But i might be wrong

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
The IS is more expensive to insure because of the typical "IS" driver. Younger, heavier footed drivers. Doesn't have to do as much with the MSRP of the vehicle, more has to do with the average cost of a repair after an accident. If most IS vehicles are being damaged while driving fast, the average cost of repair goes up. There aren't as many "sitting at a light and getting rear ended" as there are "speeding on a road and hitting something", causing more damage. You know what I'm saying?

Also, one of our more expensive cars to insure is the first gen Scion tC. This vehicle is more expensive than the IS300 to insure. Why? Think about who drives those vehicles. They have a younger demographic than the IS300 (which is barely possible.) Which equates to more losses per vehicle.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The IS is more expensive to insure because of the typical "IS" driver. Younger, heavier footed drivers. Doesn't have to do as much with the MSRP of the vehicle, more has to do with the average cost of a repair after an accident. If most IS vehicles are being damaged while driving fast, the average cost of repair goes up. There aren't as many "sitting at a light and getting rear ended" as there are "speeding on a road and hitting something", causing more damage. You know what I'm saying?

Also, one of our more expensive cars to insure is the first gen Scion tC. This vehicle is more expensive than the IS300 to insure. Why? Think about who drives those vehicles. They have a younger demographic than the IS300 (which is barely possible.) Which equates to more losses per vehicle.
This is pretty much it. The average driver of vehicle is a biggy. I've been pricing out insurance for a possible future vehicle change. I have what I guess you would consider "mid range" coverage on the Z. On an E46 M3, with full coverage and the lowest deductibles possible through the same company, my payment would go up three bucks a month. And in the same relation, the Z (bright red 300hp rear drive sports car) was still cheaper to insure than my Speed3.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I know why Jay. I just can't fathom that its more expensive to insure than a ZR-1
Because the average ZR1 driver is an old guy finally able to afford the car he has wanted since he was knee high to a duck. I would love to see an actual comparison of ZR1s raced and track driven vs ZR1s that are third or even fourth cars, driven for a three month period when it is sunny and perfect outside, going from the garage to the local Cars and Coffee and back. So while repairs may be more expensive on the ZR1, the average ZR1 has a lower risk of being in an accident. Insurance is all about risk.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Whats the deal with the cost to insure the Turbo vs Turbo S? Am I missing something?

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
I know why Jay. I just can't fathom that its more expensive to insure than a ZR-1
Who says it's more expensive to insure than a ZR-1?
When I change my 2003 IS300 to a 2010 ZR-1, the price tripples.
Even a 1994 ZR-1 almost doubles the price.

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
For laughs I had my insurance lady check a year ago. It was $23 cheaper
That's nutz. Something doesn't add up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts