Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people....I just moved into an apartment and I have absolutely no tools with me, so some friends and I are going to re-paint my calipers on Sunday and I need to know what tools are involved to remove the back calipers. I did them 2 years ago and I forgot what I used...a lot has went on within those 2 years. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
to remove the calipers for painting you just need a socket set... can't recall the size, maybe 15 mm? It'd be advisable to get a breaker bar b/c them sob's are on TIGHT!!!

I assume you don't want to fully disconnect them, as doing so would require brake line removal which would also entail blleding your brakes later.

Jack-stands would be a must in this case too.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
JoSchmo_IS300 said:
I did them 2 years ago and I forgot what I used...
I just don't know what to say...
Get a friend to help man.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Breaker bar to take off the caliper? How much do you weigh? :lol:

Just remove the wheels and paint the calipers on the car. They will come out fine and you dont have to worry about letting them dry completely before reinstalling them. Wire brush them nice before you paint them to remove loose debris/oxidation.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
unless you're that much of a perfectionist, you really don't have to take the calipers off...like everyone else has stated above, just paint them on your car. you just need some paint (i'd recommend G2), masking tape, newspaper (but not really necessary if you're using brush-on paint), some various brushes of different sizes (i'd recommend white nylon brushes from an art store), brake cleaner, wire brush (to scrape rust, if needed), caliper stickers (optional, but i think it looks a LOT better w/them), and of course the usual stuff (jack, jack stands, wrench, your wheel lock :lol: , etc.). good luck!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
you know how's there's brushes that are bristles(horehair...common type)

what about the foam brushes...wouldn't they work better?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
ali1983khan said:
you know how's there's brushes that are bristles(horehair...common type)
i didn't go with any of those camel hair, horse hair, etc. brushes since i read how some ppl had to deal with bristles coming off & sticking to the paint.

i definitely used small foam brushes though, in addition to the white nylon brushes...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
yeah....i was thinking that the foam brush would be better since there's no bristles to get stuck on the caliper......

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Have both kinds of brushes handy. They each have their annoyances; regular brushes tend to shed hair, while foam brushes can "warp" & "crack".

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
baadhabit said:
you guys are making this out to be harder than it really is. if you use the G2 paint set it comes with a bs brush, just use that. no need to go out and buy addition stuff.
nah dude, i think you really need at least 1 smaller brush. that G2 brush is too large for some of the smaller areas...you'll get frustrated with trying to paint in the smaller areas. if you're going to the trouble of painting your calipers, you might as well do it as hassle-free as you can. just my opinion... :wink:

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
this one has my vote for dumbest post of the year.

Not only is this question fairly stupid to begin with because all it involves is paint and a brush...
BUT the person has already painted his calipers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.