Lexus IS Forum banner

Took a IS300 for a test drive...

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Griznant 
#1 ·
Ive been thinking about getting a used IS300 in the next few months (hoping i could find one for a cheaper price.) So i went into the lexus dealership to do all my little checks; headroom, legroom, compartments, backseat room, dials, comfort. The backseat room was pretty bad, but then again, im the only person paying for the car, so screw the passanger

The dealer rolls the car out and i sit in the drivers seat, at 6'4 i had enough room for my head/legs to be comfortable but i would have liked a little more. After taking a few turns and pushing it on the straightaways i was in love. I dont think there was one aspect about this car i would change. On the way back to the dealership i wanted to play with the seat/steering position. As i adjust the seating i notice that the seat isnt even all the way back.....I roll the seat back and <gasp> :D i have that extra room i was talking about. It was like a gift from the gods to put the icing on the cake. So i was Sold. BTW, it was raining during the test drive and this car STILL handled and braked better then any car i have driven in good weather.

The ride was just what i was looking for, performance feel & at the same time luxury when your just cruising around.

So ill be getting one VERY soon, and ill post some pics when i do, muHahahah

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you.

It took me 1 test drive, 1 1/2 months of waiting and MSRP to get the first one. 8)

#4 ·
Welcome aboard...and about those brakes...WATCH IT. People tend to tailgate and they have no idea that when you hit the brakes you MEAN it. I got rearended this summer that way. One of the car magazines compared the brakes to those of a Porsche.

#5 ·
Those brakes don't mean much if you drive on summer tires in snow.
That's how my old IS met the Bus.

#6 ·
vlad_a said:
Those brakes don't mean much if you drive on summer tires in snow.
That's how my old IS met the Bus.
:lol: Yup... uh...sorry... You are absolutely correct regarding snow and summer tires. They do NOT mix.

#8 ·
Kweli said:
Yah, i asked the dealer what tires i was driving on, he said "it doesnt really matter b/c with this car you need to buy a set for winter" (canada here)

colours - white/black/grey
Yup...that's the truth. I got by on the summer tires because our climate is mild...2 days of a little snow the past 3 winters (I took the bus)...but I'm changing to Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons this week. We get a lot of WET in Seattle.

#9 ·
FYI
Most all-season tires do not perform better in wet/dry conditions then high-perofrmance non M/S tires. Their only advantage is ability to provide some traction in snow vs no traction at all.

#10 ·
vlad_a said:
FYI
Most all-season tires do not perform better in wet/dry conditions then high-perofrmance non M/S tires. Their only advantage is ability to provide some traction in snow vs no traction at all.
Yeah...I gotta get to work no matter what...and the bus takes almost two hours (2 changes) to get 11 miles! ...and then there is the fact that I will feel more confident on the new ones...

#15 ·
Putting the seat back gave me WAY more leg room (my legs were more straight instead of an L like the lexus logo :lol: )

Headroom did remain the same (like 2 inchs from my head to the sunroof, not alot, but still enough)...Im mostly legs

Anyone else drive a lexus thats over 6'3?

#16 ·
SeattleSheila said:
One of the car magazines compared the brakes to those of a Porsche.

Uh, well, not quite. I've got a Porsche as well, and while the IS300 is definitely quite good, it's not THAT good.

Drive a 911, and you'll see what I mean, they are like a switch: On or off. My personal favorite trick is hitting the brakes and watching the passenger "hang" in their seatbelt. Hehehehe

Still, for the weight and size of the IS300, the brakes are good, but you can never have too much braking performance.

Later,

G

'04 BSM 5-speed

#17 ·
Kweli said:
Putting the seat back gave me WAY more leg room (my legs were more straight instead of an L like the lexus logo :lol: )

Headroom did remain the same (like 2 inchs from my head to the sunroof, not alot, but still enough)...Im mostly legs

Anyone else drive a lexus thats over 6'3?
If you haven't purchased yet here is an awesome deal on a used IS300 from a fello .net member http://is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13366169&highlight=

#21 ·
Griznant said:
SeattleSheila said:
One of the car magazines compared the brakes to those of a Porsche.

Uh, well, not quite. I've got a Porsche as well, and while the IS300 is definitely quite good, it's not THAT good.

Drive a 911, and you'll see what I mean, they are like a switch: On or off. My personal favorite trick is hitting the brakes and watching the passenger "hang" in their seatbelt. Hehehehe

Still, for the weight and size of the IS300, the brakes are good, but you can never have too much braking performance.

Later,

G

'04 BSM 5-speed
Any car that has brakes that can stop just barely 3 feet longer than a 360 Ferrari Modena is really damn good! :lol:

#23 ·
One must keep in mind that tires play a very big role in stopping ability too.
If you are stuck with all-seasons as I am, they will not stop as quickly as ultra high performance tires.
I had to do an emergency stop yesterday going downhill 60 MPH. The junky Potenza RE92 let me know of my limited stopping capabilities by making a loud screaching noise and ABS being fully engaged. Now, the RE040 were much more capable.

#26 ·
Are you in Toronto or the GTA? I did a quick check, there’s 1 that may interest you. It’s being sold privately (8% pst only, no 7% gst). In case you’re wondering, it’s NOT mines.

Yellow w/ black int
$30 200 (listed in AutoTrader)
35 000 km
17” wheels + sunroof
(416) 985-4469

I’m sure they’d sell for $28 200, maybe even $27 700 + 8% pst. I think there’s no leather/suede though, ask & make sure it hasn’t been in an accident.

Not only do you save 7% gst (about $2 000), you save because it's a owner trying to sell, not a dealer. It should still have a 1 yr basic + 3 yrs powertrain warranty. Remember to get a UVIP at a local DMV ($20) before buying, it'll list if there's any liens on the car & who the current owner is (to protect against curbside sellers ie thieves who claim they own the car & are selling).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.