Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from sport compact car:
Octane
SR20DEs are not as good as the Honda B-series at running ludicrous compression on 91-octane pump gas, so making this engine happy requires careful tuning and a little bit of octane enhancement from our old toxic friend Toluene. Toluene is "look at me sideways and I'll give you cancer" nasty, and is commonly available through paint stores, where it's sold as a solvent. Toluene also happens to be 114 octane, and is a common ingredient in octane boosters, as well as one of the more important octane enhancers in Japanese fuels. Remember those crazy 1.5-liter, 1,500-hp F1 engines from the '80s? They drank mostly Toluene, which also has particularly good resistance to detonation.

Internet wisdom dictates that when mixed with 91-octane fuel, a 30-percent ratio of Toluene will yield a 97-plus octane mix. Oh, and this doesn't get the thumbs up from the EPA, so the cops who test your fuel when they pull you over can write you a ticket or something. Yeah, that'll happen.
is this cheaper alternative to race gas? has anyone tried using this?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
from sport compact car:
Octane
SR20DEs are not as good as the Honda B-series at running ludicrous compression on 91-octane pump gas, so making this engine happy requires careful tuning and a little bit of octane enhancement from our old toxic friend Toluene. Toluene is "look at me sideways and I'll give you cancer" nasty, and is commonly available through paint stores, where it's sold as a solvent. Toluene also happens to be 114 octane, and is a common ingredient in octane boosters, as well as one of the more important octane enhancers in Japanese fuels. Remember those crazy 1.5-liter, 1,500-hp F1 engines from the '80s? They drank mostly Toluene, which also has particularly good resistance to detonation.

Internet wisdom dictates that when mixed with 91-octane fuel, a 30-percent ratio of Toluene will yield a 97-plus octane mix. Oh, and this doesn't get the thumbs up from the EPA, so the cops who test your fuel when they pull you over can write you a ticket or something. Yeah, that'll happen.
is this cheaper alternative to race gas? has anyone tried using this?
That is interesting. I would also like to know...

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,752 Posts
So can I just walk into Sherwinn Williams or Home Depot and ask for a bucket of Toluene?

I mean, if it's that toxic, I'm sure there are regulations to acquire it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used it a couple of times. The cheapest I found it was around $8.00 a gallon at sherwin williams with a contractor discount. Then you need to mix in some lubricant (I used Marvels mystery oil) with the toulene.It became a pain in the ass to mix everything together. I started running 100 octane instead the car ran better and its about the same price

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
out here in Cali readily avail 100 octane is a dream.. .ther are a few "race gas " suppliers you can find but those fukkers want 3-4+ dollars a gallon... that shit Adds UP real fast ya kno... one tank can be 80 bux......... & if yer not tuned to use it it is a total waste

this toluene stuff is sick toxic tho i would not really be handling it too much it can work but it is sketchy.....

edG

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
toluene is another name for methyl benzene.
its what those fockers of 80's used in F1 for their 75+PSI 90cubic inch engine.

DO NOT MIX 'EM AND LET IT SIT FOR A LONG TIME
(easily cured just by driving hard alot...)

-do a search on 'homebrew octane booster' on google, and use it at your own risk

i hope you realize that those extra octane dont to pretty much anything on stock motor.

--
interesting fact: toluene is the third component of TNT 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts