Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TeCKis300 and I just installed my new shocks, but I don't know how and where to cut a hole in the trunk linner to access the back adjusters. The adjuster is at a strange angle. I would hate to have to remove the linner every time I want to adjust the shock. Any help (pics) would be great.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Bryan, If you're set on making a hole/plug. The easiest way is to put the liner part way back so it is in proper alignment. Then take a strip of masking tape...and tape on the general area of the shock top. If you now push that area down, you should be able to feel out exactly where the liner meets the shock rod. Mark this spot with an 'x' on the masking tape.

Take the liner out and drill/cut a hole to how you desire.

Another trick is that you don't have to cut so much to see the top of the shock to adjust. Make the hole the same diameter as the shock rod or slightly larger. Than you can just push the liner down and the top of the shock rod should just peep out of the liner at the hole you made when you need to adjust.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the second Idea you have. I will check tonight to see how flexible the linner is.

I was also thinking of making a straw like tube that is the exact diameter of the adjuster, attaching to the top of the adjuster and through the hole in the linner. This would make flat head screw driver line up exactly on the adjuster without having to mess around too much.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i just left off the plastic things that hold the trunk liner in place. i pull back the liner when i want to adjust. i dont have tokicos, but i have the konis...keeps the trunk neat, nothing falls back there and i can still adjust

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I didn't cut anything, I just move the liner thats over the wheel well, I haven't touched the settings in couple years now.

How many times a day do you plan on adjusting them to make you want to cut a hole and not just move the liner?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want holes because I have my amp, box and usually my golf clubs in the back and I don't want to remove all them just to adjust the shock. I'm not going to change them much, once I find my comfort zone, but if I want to I want easy access.

A small 1/4" hole on each side isn't going to be too noticeable anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts