Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the tokensolutions plug and play O2 delete for my '03 just this past weekend, today while driving, the CEL turns on and the trac off light starts blinking... I configured the unit correctly for '01-'03 and the green LED inside is blinking when the car is on. I plug in my OBD2 reader and it says both of the cats are below efficiency, P0420 and P0430. What's going on?! I thought this was the end-all solution to the damn cats! I need to get this car to pass emissions this weekend or else I'm facing some hefty fines. I have the original sensors plugged back in for now.

· Premium Member
21,109 Posts
But isn't P0420 and P0430 the main codes that it fixes? Those codes are for the two catalytic converters, the reason most people get the O2 sim.
crap it may be. i was thinking of different numbers.

· Registered
5,780 Posts
Without trying getting too technical, the O2 simulator can be working correctly as designed, from a voltage and frequency point of view, but if you have 1 or 2 primary O2 sensors which are a bit too slow to respond you can still trigger P0420 and P0430. This is all caused by the cross count, the amount of time the voltage crosses the .45 volt mark. There's a measurement done on both the primary and secondary sensors. If B1S1's cross count is similar to B1S2's you'll trigger the P0420 code and likewise for the bank 2 sensors. How many miles are on the O2 sensors now? If they're pretty new I would confirm via an OBD2 scanner that the simulator is indeed working.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed tokensolutions and they said just send it in for a replacement. The voltages are jumping like mad on both sensors with the O2 sim in (jumps from 0.00V to 0.605V constantly). The stock O2 sensors are back in for now, they seem to be jumping quite a bit too, maybe the catalytic converters are dead, how am I gonna pass emissions!!

Without trying getting too technical, the O2 simulator can be working correctly as designed, from a voltage and frequency point of view, but if you have 1 or 2 primary O2 sensors which are a bit too slow to respond you can still trigger P0420 and P0430. This is all caused by the cross count, the amount of time the voltage crosses the .45 volt mark. There's a measurement done on both the primary and secondary sensors. If B1S1's cross count is similar to B1S2's you'll trigger the P0420 code and likewise for the bank 2 sensors. How many miles are on the O2 sensors now? If they're pretty new I would confirm via an OBD2 scanner that the simulator is indeed working.
The stock O2 sensors? I have no idea, I don't think they were ever replaced before. My car has around 110,000 miles.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol it is for me! Emissions testing is a goddamn nightmare for me. I absolutely have to get it passed this weekend at the latest and get it registered or else I'm gonna lose the car. The exact same thing happened when I had my Supra, I had to spend $500 to get someone to "pass" it for me....

By chance did you remember to reset your ECU when you did this?
Yep, I reset the ECU, cleared all the codes, unplugged the battery, tried everything.

· Premium Member
21,109 Posts
sooooooooooo my question to you is why did you wait till the last minute and why would you lose your car

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sooooooooooo my question to you is why did you wait till the last minute and why would you lose your car
Cause I just bought my car like three weeks ago, the CEL was already on when I got it, I ordered the PNP O2 sim soon after, it arrived late last week which I then installed on Saturday. I had to wait for the OBDII readiness monitor for the catalytic converter to turn green so I could get it inspected, it turned green when I was driving today and then bam, CEL + Trac off. I only have a month to get it inspected and registered.

1,396 Posts
This may be a dumb question but are you sure you have the PNP o2 delete and not the o2 simulator? I thought only the o2 simulators have the green blinking status lights and the PNP o2 deletes are just a black box?

The PNP o2 delete I have looks like:

(No green lights)

And this is the o2 sim:

· Premium Member
4,501 Posts
^^Good point, there is no green lights on the Token solutions PNP, in fact there are no lights at all. The token solutions cat delete simply plugs into your B1S2 (under the hood, close to the front of the car, under the B1S1 plug) and the B2S2 (under the passenger front seat) O2 sockets

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol yes, I have the tokensolutions pnp O2 sim. If you remove the two screws at the end, you get a little board where you can change the configuration from '01-'03/'04+ and a little green LED. I have the 1.5 gen, so it may be different on yours.

1,396 Posts
lol yes, I have the tokensolutions pnp O2 sim. If you remove the two screws at the end, you get a little board where you can change the configuration from '01-'03/'04+ and a little green LED. I have the 1.5 gen, so it may be different on yours.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up, didn't realize the new PNP's were more advanced. I have one of the first 04+ PNP's and haven't had one problem...

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent the pnp sim for an exchange yesterday.
So after a day of driving with stock O2 sensors, only one error popped up, P0430. B2S2. Now does this mean the O2 sensor is dead, or the cat itself is dead, which I would then have to replace the whole exhaust manifold?

· Registered
1,639 Posts
You do not have to change the exhaust mani at all. That is the downstream sensor in bank 2 which can be easily taken care of the 02 delete. No need for the 02 sim. As for passing emissions, well it all depends on how the previous owner maintained and drove the car.

· Registered
6,525 Posts
I'm suspecting the 'high' reading you told me you were getting. These sims are not 555 based, they are very accurate and repeatable, its very odd, but when I get it in it'll get fingered out.

Would something like this work for our cars?
Our car like a great many use Zirconia type narrow band sensors, these produce their own voltage like a fuel cell and thus a resistor in parallel with a capacitor will do jack. I'm very certain the type of sim you posted are for the much rarer titania type narrowband that is actually sent a voltage. This sim would make much more sense for that application.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm suspecting the 'high' reading you told me you were getting. These sims are not 555 based, they are very accurate and repeatable, its very odd, but when I get it in it'll get fingered out.

Our car like a great many use Zirconia type narrow band sensors, these produce their own voltage like a fuel cell and thus a resistor in parallel with a capacitor will do jack. I'm very certain the type of sim you posted are for the much rarer titania type narrowband that is actually sent a voltage. This sim would make much more sense for that application.
Cool, are you gonna fix the one I sent to you or send me a new unit?
I guess there isn't much for me to do now, screw registration lol. I'll just wait for the sim to come back.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts