Lexus IS Forum banner

1241 - 1244 of 1244 Posts

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,241
To finish updating this, here are the rest of the random things happened in 2019.

Half of the license plate reverse light from V-LEDs wasn't working after the accident

Even though it looks fine

It's still better than nothing for helping see when reversing.

The subwoofer amp came loose from the trunk ceiling and fell, causing one of the RCA cable plug connector pins to break off inside the socket. That was a bummer, but I was able to get the pin out using a pushpin and a lighter to heat up the end of the pushpin hot enough to melt into the broken pin, let it cool, and then pull it out. Worked perfectly:

Soldered on a new RCA connector, and put the amp back, and it was good as new:

I ended up replacing all of the brake pads from Fig's BBK with another brand, hoping to eliminate the horrible squealing noises, be able to stop in the rain, and fix the pull-to-the-right. The new pads didn't help anything

After wrecking both JDM Greddy front lips immediately, and having trouble parking in general, pulling too close to the curb and scrapping the front lip, I decided to install a front-facing camera inside the front bumper so that it would display on the stereo screen inside while moving forward.

Since I liked the Crimestopper camera I installed in the back years ago, I got a similar one for the front that looked like it would work:

After careful aligning, I mounted it directly to the front bumper support so that it would sit neatly inside of the honeycomb mesh:

Fits perfectly!

Very clean and hidden, can't even see it unless you duck down to look underneath:

The wiring runs behind the driver's head light with the mess of other wires there:

Runs into the firewall nicely here (looks like the oil catch can is working nicely lol):

I ran the positive and ground wires to my feed at the switches for convenience, so the camera is powered when the car is on:

Then behind the radio, all I needed was the yellow RCA connection, which goes to the video input on the same channel as my MP3 player aux input wire, so the stereo can play the music and view the camera at the same time while driving:

It ended up working perfectly after aligning the rotation of the camera. Automatic front view, then switch to reverse, and it automatically shows out the back. Now I can see curbs when parking!

When I removed the radiator to swap the timing belt, after reinstalling, the radiator leaked from the drain plug. So I bought another Denso radiator, but it leaked too! I tried some plumbing tape to seal the threads, but it wasn't leaking out of the threads, but the exit itself. So I solved that easily with some RTV lol

No more leaks lol

I ended up getting a set of OEM fog lights in very excellent shape and painted those, because the aftermarket lights had horrible alignment and output.

I installed some yellow LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics, the SLF, and finished them up:

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,242
Since the authentic plastic original JDM Greddy lips kept shattering almost immediately when it got cold (they are too tight on the bumper), I tried my luck with a fiberglass replica from Russia on Ebay. It was very nice, but it was pretty thin. I ended up cracking it almost immediately lol.

Patched the crack with fiberglass mat:

Sanded and primered:

Painted and clear coated:

New fog lights and front lip installed on the bumper (lol that's all that was left of the plastic lip):

Everything installed!

This front lip looks better than the original IMO, it curves under on the sides at the wheels better. And the new yellow LED fog lights are perfect. A very clean appearance, very deep yellow, better than LED or halogen. Not as bright as HID, but also not as glaring. Better than LED for the even color, lower power draw, and easy instant on and no ballasts.

I think that's everything!

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,244
Looks as beautiful as I remember it (y)
Thanks!

I guess while I'm here, I'll say that I've currently officially "given up" on the car. All that work I did to replace the main front seals, and the car is still leaking oil. So, I'm just gonna ride it out, keep it going, and enjoy it, but probably no more mods or money/work/time invested in what has unfortunately gone past the point of insanity.

1241 - 1244 of 1244 Posts