Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with the dealer...As many of you have seen my car before but for the ones that haven't, I bought my car with 17,495 from Mead Lexus a little while ago. It's an 04 sport design with the 5 speed manual trany.

The problem I'm having is that when I'm shifting into gears, it's harder then I think it should be, like the syncros are going out. (out of 16 cars I've had, 12 were manuals and none were as hard to get in gear as this one and this one has the least amount of miles) The syncros are fine and it will go into gear but you have to almost force it in gear and every time it goes in gear it makes a little click in the trany, fallowed by the click in the drive shaft/rear end which I have heard on here is a common problem that Lexus will fix.

I was wondering if anyone of you have had this problem with the resistance getting it in gear and having a clunking noise when it does go in gear. It's not real loud but it is there.

The car only has 19,050 miles on her but Since I thought it might help I changed the trany and pumpkin fluid with royal purple...nothing changed, so I took it to the dealer. The dealer is telling me that they don't think anything is wrong with it cause the CEL not on. Anyone with any bit of common since knows that if something goes wrong in an manual trany (syncro, throw out barring, etc.) knows that it's not going to throw a code. Which I told her, so she said that she'll have the tech drive it again. :pissed:

The service at this Dealer (Lexus of Mobile) sucks so bad. There also telling me that the corrosion warranty doesn't apply to my car cause it was from up north. I think that's BS cause that's the place where a cars gonna corrode (my rims are starting to corrode on the back of the fins and on the car in a few areas underneath) and what's the use in putting a 7 year corrosion warranty that only applies in you live in the south where you don't have to worry about it anyway (unless you live on the beach, etc.). Anyone else have a problem with the dealer???

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is it like that all the time or just when the car is cold? Does this happen with all gears? As far as the clunking thats normal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is it like that all the time or just when the car is cold? Does this happen with all gears? As far as the clunking thats normal.
It's all the time in every gear except 5th and sometime 4th...Which cluncking are you talking about is normal...the drive shaft or when it goes in gear? I'm guessing your talking about the drive shaft.

The Tech said to the service advisor that he can make it do it or not do it...Let me tell you though, it's VERY hard to not make it clunk when shifting (drive shaft).

They've had it for 2 weeks not (as of tomorrow) and they finaly called me yesterday for the first time and left me a message saying "this is so and so from Lexus of Mobile, we believe that we have your car fixed" what kink of shit is that? We "believe" I swear, I HAVE to take my car to the Lexus dealer that's 60 miles away and nott o the toyota dealer (which is only 6 miles away) cause it's under "factory warranty" and they aren't "certified" to work on a lexus...It's a 4 door supra damn it, lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
The corrosion warranty is in the manual if i remember correctly and applies to all cars. If your car is showing signs of corrosion, make sure you note this with the dealership. There's no warranty difference in different parts of the country. Show them where it says your car is under warranty, and if they still refuse to honor that, have them provide you with written proof that your car is not under warranty and they will not fix it. Then simply present that proof to someone higher up, Lexus of NA or whatever.

Also, I've heard Florida/southern cars tend to have more corrosion issues than cars in snowy areas because of constant exposure to salty air. Never had a Florida car, though, so it could be BS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The corrosion warranty is in the manual if i remember correctly and applies to all cars. If your car is showing signs of corrosion, make sure you note this with the dealership. There's no warranty difference in different parts of the country. Show them where it says your car is under warranty, and if they still refuse to honor that, have them provide you with written proof that your car is not under warranty and they will not fix it. Then simply present that proof to someone higher up, Lexus of NA or whatever.

Also, I've heard Florida/southern cars tend to have more corrosion issues than cars in snowy areas because of constant exposure to salty air. Never had a Florida car, though, so it could be BS.
That's what I thought and that's what I am going to do...I don't have my car right now as it is still at the dealer. When I go there I will deffinently pull out the owners manual and make them show me something written that says they won't cover a car that was in the north.

What do you think about the trany issue? It's hard to find info about this cause as you know, there aren't that many 5spd. manuals out there...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've noticed that if I drive like my mother and never rev over 3k before shifting, it is difficult to get through the gears. The short-throw didn't make it easier, that's for sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I get the thud from the back pretty regularly, although I can't pinpoint what exactly causes it. It seems random. Sometimes on start up i'll put it into gear and it thuds, sometimes it doesn't. Go figure.

As for it being difficult to get the car into gear, I rarely experience that. Only when it's cold before the car warms up does the tranny feel difficult. Lumpy is what I always call it. Once it's warm, it's fine.

A certain degree of notchy-ness is normal. Almost every review of the car I've ever read mentions this too. I kinda like hearing my car click into gear, though...

So, if it feels unnaturally difficult to get the car into gear, definitely get that looked into. My tranny's not the easiest to get through gears, but it is most definitely not the hardest I've ever driven.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think someone else had a horror-strory thread about the Lexus dealer in Mobile IIRC. Very unresponsive I believe. My 5 speed '05 shifts smooth as butter and is just slightly stiffer in cold weather. No problems watsoever.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Its just like that man. Our transmission is a design Toyota has been using since the 70s. W series transmission. Sadly enough my 97 neon shifted smoother but i have driven a few other manual transmission IS's only to find they shift the same.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The problem I'm having is that when I'm shifting into gears, it's harder then I think it should be, like the syncros are going out. (out of 16 cars I've had, 12 were manuals and none were as hard to get in gear as this one and this one has the least amount of miles) The syncros are fine and it will go into gear but you have to almost force it in gear and every time it goes in gear it makes a little click in the trany, fallowed by the click in the drive shaft/rear end which I have heard on here is a common problem that Lexus will fix.
Sounds like there's something bent or corroded in your shifter linkage or an issue with the clutch slave cylinder/rod. Have the dealer check those out. My Celica gets really hard to put in gear every few months and then I have to spraylube the daylights out of the linkage while someone is moving the lever between gears. After that, it shifts like butter again for a while.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got my car back and the dealer is telling me that there is nothing wrong with the car...that it shifts just fine. He went on telling me that all the techs are the "best of the best" and he believes the tech. over me. I bet if it was his car it'd be fixed without question or a hassle :pissed:

**On a side note, who ever the tech was ran the shit out of me car...Oh yeah I'm pissed!!! I took a pic of the odometer before I left where the trip was at 81.9 miles with the tank of gas one notch above half and when I got it back the trip was at 89.4 and the gas was one notch below half ( I have a pic of this too, the trip and odomiter before and after I picked it up). So, in 7.5 miles the gas droped 2 notches...I've contacted toyota about the dealer not wanting to do anything about anything on my car (except for the rear glass...the radio would get static when you put the defrost on, so they replaced it with a factory Lexus glass). So when I go and talk to them again I'm going to mention the above too. I really want to just take my car to the toyota dealer...atleast I wont have to drive 60 miles for them to say they aren't going to do anything...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just go to an IS meet in Fla and try out someone else's car while they try yours. See how it compares.
Meets are great for stuff like that.
The FL members here are a pretty active group.
As a matter of fact, if you start hanging out with them regularly, you won't have to worry about your current tranny, cuz they'll have you boosted and running a V160 in no time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just go to an IS meet in Fla and try out someone else's car while they try yours. See how it compares.
Meets are great for stuff like that.
The FL members here are a pretty active group.
As a matter of fact, if you start hanging out with them regularly, you won't have to worry about your current tranny, cuz they'll have you boosted and running a V160 in no time.
I would love to go to some meets but to be honest (and I know this sounds dumb) but haven't a clue where to start to find out where a meet is at. I've gotten up with one member here in Pensacola (Notorious) I've asked him to go out to the track with a few of my friends and what not, they seem up to it but then never fallow through...Does this sight have a page where they list meets? If not maybe I'll just make a post about having a meet in the area in the near future...Maybe at MMP drag way.

Ummm, yeah, that's not gonna happen...Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to go boost BUT since I just bought my car just under 2 months ago and with everything (car, tax, title, shipping, mods) I've paid just over 24K in cash and a $6K SRT 2.75 turbo kit (+ tune) and a $4500 tranny isn't coming ANYTIME in the near future, if at all, lol. I'm just gonna get my Mazzuri (and maybe a few other lil things) and "try" to be happy :rolleyes:

If I get in the low 14s I'll be happy...already running a [email protected] so I should be able to get somewhere close :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Out of all the cars I've owned (take note of the sig), the IS shifts the worst. It's loud, clunking sporadically when driving, almost like the diff is going to explode when I shift sometimes. I had it checked, and the clutch upgraded additionally, and they said everything was working properly. Sad to say but my EG civic shifted better or "smoother" should I say. A close friend went to school via a Toyota program and the class test mule was an IS300 manual. He says it's just the design of Toyota's tranny and that his Tacoma is the same way. Sorry about your luck bro, dealerships are a pain to deal with. My Z is about to go on the chopping block because of the dealer!

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Did ANYONE here see my post about this being a 30 year old transmission originally used in trucks? I guess not. Despite your thoughts your transmission was most likely designed and implemented before you were born. Shifting technology has come a LONG way since then, unfortunately those technologies cant really be retrofitted to an older transmission design. Just for giggles I had a tech at the local Lexus dealer drive my car, he himself used to own a manual IS and said his was exactly the same since mile one. Thats why I started to read up on the W series Toyota transmission. Google it. actually better yet I'll do the leg work....
Toyota W transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now what I want to know is if this transmission costs $2500 to walk into the parts dept and buy and the V160 is $4500 why the eff didnt they give these cars V160s from the factory? The 3S-GE BEAMS Altezzas got the T160 (variant of Getrags V160) so why not the IS?

·
Registered
186 Posts
As for the car being hard to shift, this is my first stick and i have only driven two other sticks in my life so compared to the s2000 it is a little harder and compared to the jetta its A LOT harder. So i dont know what cars uve had in the past but a combination of this car being a harder car to shift and the cold weather might be the reason.

And for the clunking noise, i got my car from a master technician who for a living test drives cars and listens for noises. He was telling me he heard this clunk and just couldn't take it. So he took it to lexus and got into a fight with them cause they wouldn't fix it. He then himself replaced the entire gearbox except the flywheel, only to find it didnt fix the clunk. He took it back to lexus and argued with them again and they said it was the flywheel. So they decided if it fixed it he would pay and if it didnt they would pay, because he didn't think it was the flywheel. They decided to factory replace the entire gearbox again with the flywheel and after that it still didnt fix the clunking. He then took 3 of his costumers IS's and drove them only to find the same clunk. What i think that means is that its just a noise that the cars gearbox makes and not to worry too much about it, also it means i got a car with a friggin BRAND new gearbox!! hehe

·
Registered
960 Posts
That sounds like the abs.. my car only gets it when first turn on the car and take off. Its normal so they say

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
a clunk when shifting? i dunno i havent had any problems, my car shifts pretty smooth without any problems. only thing i get is that the gear sometimes doesnt get into 1st during cold days...but even as its gotten colder around here that hasnt happened at all lately.

·
Registered
481 Posts
This thread got revived from April this year?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts