Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi EricK,

Maybe it's a bit off-topic, in another thread (Future IS), you mentioned that you've heard about GS300 may have a boosted engine with 245HP.

I also got this info here in the "news" section a few months ago. But I haven't heard anything about it nor I would be able to verify.

Do you hear anything recently ?

AndyL

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well Andy, I heard something to the effect that they would use an Aluminum engine block just like their 4.0 liter V8 and that the power output would be 245hp. It seems logical that this engine will find its way into the IS300...If I hear anything else I'll keep you posted.
Eric..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric for your quick info. Well, I would totally agree with you that if GS300 gets a power boost, IS300 should be somehow benefited from it.

In fact, Lexus has made a similar movement in the past history. The current ES300 with VVT-i added on its 3rd year to compete with new comers like Acura 3.2TL is a perfect example.

Besides, it will also be logical to assume that the factory spoiler may be available in the 2nd year model. European IS200 already has this option.

AndyL

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
hmmmmm... factory spoiler... Unlike my GS400, I think the IS looks fine both with and without the spoiler. (IS without the spoiler looks nice to me) The back of the GS isn't complete without a spoiler..
On another note..... I wonder whether Acura will introduce a 3.2 TL-S. That will put 260 hp into that sedan. I wonder what the actual dyno figures are on the CL-S... probably well below its spec figures..
Eric......

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have heard that the TL will not be offered in TL-S form. But, I think there will be a horsepower increase for the 3.2 engine.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad
Did you see the latest Motor trend comparison with the Acura 3.2 TL... It did 0-60 in 6.7 seconds (not bad)... way faster than everything else including the Nissan Maxima (automatic)...
Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yes. But don't you think Motor Trend can sometimes get optimistic with their times? However, that car is quick and offers great value. It just doesn't seem to be the peer of Lexus, I have to confess there is a reason for the price differences. Let me know if you decide to add any mods to your 400. My dad is considering doing something to his or ditch it for the new SC or LS. He wants a 911 but can't deal with being bounced around the road everyday. So 30-60 extra horses could make that 400 a couple ticks north of 5 flat. Now that's interesting company.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I've noticed that Motor Trend is traditionally optimistic with their times and Road & Track is often pessimistic with their acceleration times.... I'm not that fond of the TL and have noticed it to always be a few steps below Lexus with quality as well as fit and finish... Have you noticed how noisy the sunroof motor is in the CL-S and how clunky the automatic gear selector is?
Brad I want to know whether such modification on my GS400 would void the warranty.... thanks..
Eric....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric,

I totally agree with your note on TL and CL-S.

Yes, they have good value for the money and seem to do well in those high priority areas.

However, their refinement is just add-on unlike Lexus/Toyota cars which have the refinement built-in in the car making philosophy.

Look at the screws in the inside of the trunk as well as the bottom of the back of the front seats or the exposed rear cupholders which integrate with the rear armrest. They don't just suit regular Lexus owners' taste.

However, CL-S and TL tend to be more sporty-oriented when compared to ES300. So their selling point is really different which attracts different group of customers.

Yes, the sunroof in CL-S/TL is totally unacceptable especially it's so noticeable even during a test drive if you are meticulous enough, without listening to their great Bose sound system..

Andy

·
Registered
442 Posts
On the Temple of Vtec page it says the TL might come out in a 260hp with a 5 speed auto in the fall 2000 but it's all unconfirmed though.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The road test staff at Motor Trend probably realize that people like to hear quicker times and faster speeds. When people brag about the acceleration #'s of their cars, they're probably quoting Motor Trend....
By the way Motor Trend's road test summary shows a 0-60mph time of 5.9 seconds for the BMW 740i (sports package) .. This car weighs over 4,200lbs and has only 282horse power/ 324 lbs of torque... HOWEVER, Car & Driver tests the smaller and lighter 540i automatic (with sports package and the Exact same 4.4 liter engine ditto horsepower and torque figures) from 0-60 in 6.1 seconds....

Eric......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing