Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you getting the IS in addition to your GS, or are you trading it in? Or are you getting the IS for your wife or something?
Did you put a deposit down and what options and color do you want? Sorry for all the questions but I don't feel like going back to the old forum to look it up

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hi Kim
Well.... I'm really happy with my GS400 so I am not considering the IS300 right now. I'm 25 years old and I am NOT married so I'm not buying an IS300 for any "wife"
. I think I'll keep my GS400 until the GS430 comes out 2002, at which point I'll probably get that. I talked one of my good friends into buying an IS300. I told him that the IS300 would be the best of the competition. Better than the overpriced and ugly 3 series BMW and the slow Audi A4. He's getting a loaded IS300 in Spectra Blue Mica, which will be SWEET
. If I didn't have the GS, I would definitely Buy the remarkable IS300 without a question. My first purchase when I finish medical school will be a Lotus Esprit Turbo V8.. My dream car.

Eric...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! A Lotus Espirit? You like that better than the Porsche 911? My dealer was saying that it might be between 3-5 months for my order, so I told him that when he gets some silver IS's with leather, I'll see if any just have the leather and moonroof with NO heated seats. Because 5 months is long time. By that time I could get the new C-Class.
Anyway, after the IS....hopefully I can get a MBZ CLK, my dream car. Wishful thinking!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hey Kim
The CLK is one of my Fav cars too.. I like the Silver CLK430.
... and as far are the Porsche 911 goes, I really like the Porsche 911 Turbo. My friend doesn't want to wait for the IS either and he placed the order some time in March. The dealer called him and said that he could be in either the first or second shipment if he doesn't get the Limited Slip Differential, so I don't think he'll get that option. I would definitely give up the heated seats if you can get the car much earlier. I hardly ever use my heated seat and sometimes forget they're even there....
Eric....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heyyyy that's exactly what I want. A silver CLK430. I wish!! And that's what I'm saying. Why would I want to pay $440 for something I'll never use....and I mean NEVER. I mean, the heating system in the car alone usually does me just fine
But I already cancelled my special order, so I'll just wait and see what they have on the lot. If the IS300 doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind waiting until September for the C-Class. I'll look just as good, if not better pushing that
Just kidding!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hell yea the C-class looks sweet...I agree Kim, if this whole thing with the IS doesn't work then I'm totally down with the new C-class....and i'm not gonna gripe about that car since its got a freakin 6-speed manual tranny!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Kim
The people I know that have C-class Mercedes are older (mid 30's on up). .. On the other hand I definitely see younger buyers that are interested in going for the IS300 Lexus with it's more sporty flair....What do you think? The new upcoming C-class resembles the current Sclass Mercedes, which is definitely a nice looking car. I usually associate Lexus IS and BMW 3 series buyers as being a younger group (25 on up) rather than for the C-class mercerdes....
Eric..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric, it all depends on the cost of the C-Class which will determine whether I get it. I wanted the 240. The new styling really caught my attention. The current styling is just hella ugly and it looks like an older person's car. It's too boxy. But I agree, I associate MBZ with the older crowd, but this new C-Class as a real sporty, street flair IMHO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that design looks better. I don't know much about that company, so I'm not gonna mess with them. I haven't considered even getting an A4. The current A4 reminds me too much of my Jetta.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Actually Kim, Mercedes is not much better with reliablity than BMW (at least from our personal experience). Back in 1996 my dad got an S600 coupe Mercedes. It had a nice V12 engine but we had LOADS of problems with it. Not with the engine, but the electrical system and the electrical motors. My dad got rid of it the next year. The car turned a lot of heads though
Eric....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I guess so with all those electrical gadgets
! Some of those MBZ are really complicated. But I have a soft spot for the CLK. But I've heard that BMW and Mercedes doesn't come close to Lexus' reliability....that's what I HEARD. I've never owned either.

Psssttt....check your email

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Kim I have a soft spot for the CLK too.... My parents have owned both Mercedes (not anymore) and BMWs (which they now own).. They have had problems with both makes... I have never had problems with Lexus. wooooo.. I better go knock on wood......
Eric..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Erik, what in particular is remarkable about the IS300? BTW, should have told your friend to wait for the manual.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The new C class looks great but only the 240 will come with the six speed and man, it ain't no speed demon. You have to spend the money for the 320 to get in the low sevens to sixty. Add the options you want and voila, 40+. If you want a cool C class I would recommend looking at the outgoing C in the Special Edition trim, sport package with the spoiler. It's got faux carbon fiber on the inside that replaces the wood (looks badass) and on the outside window sills. It also has ivory guages and two tone Napa leather seats/steering wheel. The 230 K does sixty faster than the 280 (7.5) and it has a nifty five speed auto (autostick) with the first three years maintanence free. Total price is 34K. My girlfriend just picked one up and it's pretty stinking killer. It only comes in metallic silver and really looks a lot different from the other C's.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
S38
One of the reasons it's remarkable is because it will be a car that you won't have to take to the shop to get fixed at every routine service..(assuming it's like the other Lexus Models). unlike our past BMW's and Mercedes...geez...what a pain...The service deparments of BMW and Mercedes know me well unfortunately.....
Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey I totally agree with you two, the new c class benz is sweet, I was thinking about checking it out if I dont like the IS when I drive it or if I have to wait to long. As with the clk430, which in my opinion is the hottest car on the market, Id take one in that bluish color that resembles the spectra blue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brad, you should know by now that I don't care about 0-60 in 7 seconds. I don't care how fast it is. It's fast ENOUGH. And I know the 240 won't give me any problems merging with highway traffic. Style is important to me, and the current C-Class is ugly and OLD. That's why I like the new refreshed styling. Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a 2000 C-Class, I'd take it. I'm not mental. The new 240 will come with the Elegance package which has everything I want, including leather and CD player. Just need to add automatic. I can get that for under $40K.

Eric, good answer. You would know since you and your family have owned all 3 manufacturers' cars.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's it? Reliability? I feel for your parents but that is not the experience of every BMW owner. Mine have been tight as drums well past 100k.

I would agree with the dealer comment but that too depends on the dealer.

What I was alluding to was that the IS300 is simply an entry by Lexus into a market segment they haven't been in. It is a good product but breaks no new ground at all. A buyer's decision between the competing products will come down to personal preferences. As usual, the truly perf. oriented buyer will buy the BMW (or maybe the S4).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
jim23
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing