Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting an IS300. I'm trying to decide if i should lease or buy it.
What are the pro's and con's of each. Do you guys think that it'll depriecite a lot in value over the next 4 years? I figured i'd ask the board since the people on here probably know more then anyone else about these cars. Thanks.
keith
Tampa, fl

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Right now is good time to buy with all the sale going on. Probably can get it for 2000-3000 cheaper than what I paid for.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Do a search on leasing in this part of the forum... it's been discussed a lot in the past. Check it out...

Scott.

·
11,062 Posts
Do you have to have a new car every three years to be happy? Some people do. In that case, lease. Do you want to do a lot of cool modifications? Then buy. Leasing didn't look like good economics for me. I'd hate to make perpetual car payments. In the end, I want to have something. However, if I needed the car for business I would lease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never bought a new car before so i'm not one to keep swaping out every 3-4 years. As far as Mods go. I have another car that I mod if i want to go fast. I'm looking at the IS as a daily driver. I want something nice to drive now. I'm tired of POS's that i have to keep fixing every month.
I don't see me keeping the car for ever so i really don't care about buying it. I'm just trying to figure out which why makes the more econimical sense. At the end of 4 years how much do you think the car will be worth?
THanks again

Keith Tampa,fl

·
Registered
201 Posts
If it were me, I would say lease the vehicle . Why? Because from what I understand you already have another vehicle so mileage won't be an issue. Secondly, with the lease your payment should be lower whether you're looking at 36-48 months whatever. Thirdly, your value is guaranteed at the end of the term vs buying you're at the mercy of the market. I mean when you buy you're losing 3K when driven off the lot so that money's gone and if you have to sell before the end of your term that money is gone and it's a gamble. You have to figure, the IS is its first attempt at this segment. So you will mostly likely see alot of upgrades, not with styling but with other aspects over the next couple of years. If you've bought, you're going to get shafted when you go to trade it in the dealers are going to low ball you because you have the first IS available. If the rumors are correct, they'll ask you why would a person buy your IS when they have brand new ones available with full leather, armrest, nav system, manual etc. You see what I'm saying?

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with 4YOAZZ. My residual value is set at $24,XXX at the end of my 3 year lease.
If it isn't worth that, then I can take it to the dealer, toss him the keys and say thanks.(let him eat the depriciation) If it's worth more, I can buy it out and have equity in it. If you buy it and decide in three years that you want something else it might not be worth the pay off, and then you would be upside-down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets say that i Leased the car and wanted to trade it in in 2 years on a newer one. Is that possible? Pardon my ignorance this is the first car i'm thinking about leasing.
Thanks
Keith
Tampa, fl

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure, you can trade your car in or sell it at any time, even if it's leased. I know because I lease my loaded IS and almost traded mine in for a Mercedes E320. Didn't do the deal, though because the Mercedes dealer would only give me $28,000 for my IS.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You see the dealer in your case was still trying to get over on you. I don't blame you for not doing the deal. Number one, what price was he offering you on the E320. He probably didn't want to cut you a deal on it and he knew he could turn around and sell that IS for $31,000.00 or more depending on location. They're so full of sh-t!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
53 Posts
He was seeling the '98 E320 for $33K

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
You see the dealer in your case was still trying to get over on you. I don't blame you for not doing the deal. Number one, what price was he offering you on the E320. He probably didn't want to cut you a deal on it and he knew he could turn around and sell that IS for $31,000.00 or more depending on location. They're so full of sh-t!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Tony Mack
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing