Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any long windy roads in San Diego that you know of where I can really have fun? Where have you guys (and gals) been taking your IS's? I find myself going faster and faster on circular onramps just to get my fix.

·
Registered
242 Posts
County routes in North County: S5, S6, S7 and S8. You know, Del Dios Highway, the roads from Rancho Santa Fe to the coastal cities, or Highway 78 from Escondido to Julian. Trouble is, you need to drive them before 5:00 AM or after midnight! The other side of Palomar Mountain can be cool, and less traveled during daylight, but early Sunday mornings remains best. You used to be able to head East from Del Mar on Carmel Valley Road, but now that they've started laying freeway over it I'm not sure how much remains. Or head North from Escondido on I-15 and get off a half a dozen exits further. Lost of back roads with twisties. Other residents will likely contribute their knowledge of local roads in their own areas. And of course I am keeping my best secrets to myself!

The above notwithstanding, I expect most of the miles on my new SBM (due in a week!) to be freeway miles. And you know, that's okay. Unless you're stuck in slow-and-go, the freeway can be a fun ride too in a great car. The IS is quite the highway rocket in my opinion, opening up all sorts of opportunities for high speed but controlled driving. Genteel sporting versus pulse-pounding racing. And even in rush hour traffic the IS is a killer on looks alone!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the northcoastal/inland routes. I concur with freeway driving being fun in the IS, and I am still enjoying it after 6 weeks of ownership. But, man I still feel the need to hit a twisty road every now and then. Maybe I'll see you winding my through the La Costa area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts