Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little play on word for you, but I need new tires. Me RE760 lasted a little over a year and about 10K miles. Too expensive to blow through on a yearly basis.

Main problem is the front which is too low to get into spec, so I plan on replacing with the normal Eibachs (Eibachs on now are cut a litlle bit by the PO) I have in the garage for the last two years...... but....

I'm thinking of going back to stockies with 225/45/17s all around, or......

Should I go 225/40/18 all away around with my XT-7s?

The only catch here is that the fronts are 7.5inchs wide rears are 8.5 inches wide. Is it dumb to go same all around with different width wheels? Or will it look stupid (mild stretch on rear compared to front making it look visual smaller)?

Only thinking going same all away around, is I can break them down and swap in about 8 months to prolong the life. Also 255 is way too much tire on a stock HP IS300. Throws the balance of the car way off. Plus tires are a little cheaper.

Let me know peeps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
we're in the same boat because we need tires too but do i buy tires for the stocks or upgrade to 18x8 at all 4 corners and allow for tire rotations? if you can't rotate rims than its pretty lame to get same sized tires all around, defeats the whole purpose.

if you went with the 17" why not go with the S.Drive, Ecsta SPT (old version, we have these now) or the HTR Z. save some money since its a temporary thing and then install your springs 2 years later :p and get new tires for the 18's.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't want to go back to stockies since it looks dope with the wheels I have now. My other problem is that I may be in the market for another car before my next tires wear out, and I don't want to sell my car with the wheels I have now, so then I would need to buy new tires for the stockies when I sell, and that would suck.

If I did it again I would go more aggressive like 8.5 all away around and 225 all away around, that way looks tough, get "some" depth, and still be able to rotate.

But then again when did modding cars and making rationale since every come together? haha

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's why they say that this car hobby thing is very expensive. I am in the same dilemma right now. My rears are almost gone and need to get new ones. Same thing on my stock wheels.

Decisions decisions......thinking of getting some used ones for the stock rears and but them on for the winter. Our winters aren't to crazy here. Get a set for my summer wheels. Front 18x8.5 are 215/40/18..thinking of going 205/40/18, rears 18x9.5 are 225/40/18...thinking of going 215/40/18. This is going to give me a hell of a stretch on the tires.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Hey Al, since you are not trying to keep the vehicle for that much longer, just go with same tires all around. Yeah, it will be a little goofy looking but in the end you will save money. Ya, I would go with 225/40.

I'm glad I have same tires all around because I am not trying to buy new tires every 20k miles or so. =)

Miguel, you got me thinking about my winter tires....That's in a couple months already. =( lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts