Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know which Goodyear tires they're using and the treadwear (treadwear number) on them??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
All of the IS300s that I have seen have Goodyear Eagle GS-D. Many of the prototypes had Bridgestone Potenza RE040. They probably have two sources and will switch to the second source if the first one tries to jack up the price.

I didn't see the treadwear letter, but expect it to be short lived. Some Lexus ads warn that the performance tires are likely to last "significantly less than 20,000 miles."

Click here for a site which shows alot of different tires available in the IS300 size

·
Registered
423 Posts
My NJ dealer tried to dissuade me from getting the 17" wheels and said that if I didn't want the "Corrola-style" 16" wheels then I would have to sign a disclaimer saying I understand they may need replacing within 10K miles.

I can't imagine anyone going for the 16" on this car, even in states with bad winters, no matter what the tread life.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I'm concerned is that since they use such soft compound for the tires, when you purchase your next set of tires with a more 'normal' treadwear life, the road noise may get louder.....

A disclaimer?? That's ridiculous. I guess they've had alot of complains about the short lived tires.....

But anyway, I suggest that you simply don't sign it, unless it's compulsory for all 17" buyers...... It's sort of like telling you to indemnify them for getting bad mileage on your car!!!

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The Goodyear Eagle GS-D is a good tire and was used for many years on the Lexus SC coupes (225/55-16 on that car)... They are directional tires and should be fine... However, as I mentioned in a previous post. When your IS300 is due for a new set, go with the Bridgestone S02 Pole Positions. Fantastic tires, with excellent wet/dry traction and reasonable treadware when compared to Michelin Pilots, and P-Zero Pirelli.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Excerpt from the July 2000 issue of MAX POWER:

"...The first turn on the 16-inch wheels was interesting... now the thinner 205/55-16 tires were showing how massively the car was relying on the sticky Z-rated tires. Throwing this version of the car into some tight switchbacks along one-lane bumpy roads made evident the cars's front-weight bias. Instead of sticking perfectly to the road as with the higher-performance tires, the car's rear did not track perfectly behind the front. BMW's 3-Series riding on stock 15-inch wheels can traverse more confidently through turns than the IS 300 on its 16s. The handling characteristics of the IS show how much the vehicle relies on tire selection for cornering capabilities as opposed to Bimmer, who designed a suspension that was capable of making the best of wheel/tire combinations that are not track-bred. But, it's a safe bet to assume most people reading this would opt for the 17-inch standard wheels..."

Note: Tire manufacturer not identified in this article.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FYI:

Has anyone noticed that on the brochure(Pg. 22) that the IS300 has “Dunlop” SP Sport 9000 tires and in (Pg. 32 Crashed IS300) the car is wearing Bridgestone Potenza’s.

Again just and FYI:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I checked the Goodyear website and they don't even list treadwear numbers for the GS-D. Anyone know what the number is? I'm hoping this could give at least a guage as to how long the tires will last compared to others.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I just called tirerack for you Marke1... The treadwear is 200.... The treadwear on the Original equipment on my GS400 was Bridgestone RE030's (235/34/17) which had a rating of 140.... so I don't think the RE040's would be much better.... 200 is not all that bad for a performance tire....
Eric...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Maybe something about the tuning they did for this car (to get good handling) has alot of "tire scrub". That would explain poor fuel mileage as well.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The original Acura NSX had a reputation for eating rear tires. Eventually Acura adjusted the rear suspension settings which improved tire life but may have had a negative impact on the "at the limit" handling of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Treadwear ratings are not comparable between manufacturers.

A Goodyear with a treadwear of 200 may last much longer than a Kumho with a treadwear of 200. The manufacturer gets to pick any tire they sell and call it "100". Everything else they sell has a treadwear rating relative to THAT tire.

Anyway: give me a set of S-02's any day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks, Erick. I thought the ratings were based on 100=20k miles. At least that is what I thought I read in the past. Most of the tire companies do mention it is only for comparison with the same manufacturer. That's kind of worthless to me. Typical gov't - good intentions but poor execution. I saw the mileage disclaimer in the brochure. I might try calling Lexus to see what kind of spin they put on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
marke1
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing