Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any concern about the tires on the IS300. Bridgestone, which is part of Firestone. Any word?

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I was going to make a point with my dealer about that very thing...I want him to throw some different brand on there - its only fair...I've waited a month and a half

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I will call my sales guy tomorrow and see what he has to say.

I am going in next week for my 1k mile check up,so we will see.

I was just wondering if anyone has broached this topic and what results if any did they get.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Come on guys - the tires that are in the news are FIRESTONE tires which are semi-offroad tires for SUVs. Just because there is a business relationship between Bridgestone/Firestone doesn't mean that Bridgestone tires are suspect. Also, the IS300 tires are a totally different class of tires than the SUV ones that are in the news.

======================================

I guess some people on this board did post finding small "bubbles" in their tires, but that is probably unrelated to the blow-out problems with the Firestone ATX tires.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well - if the Bridgestones ending up on the IS are based on the same carcass as the 15" SUV tires, I would be complaining about a lot more than the fact that they have the same corporate heritage.

As chibster stated, a the majority of the IS's are coming with Goodyear GS-Ds anyway.
If anyone out there has a serious concern with the Bridgestones give me a call - I'de trade them for the GS-Ds on my car without a second thought.

Terry

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So fill me in. What is the difference between the Bridgestones and the Goodyear GSD?

I do not know much about tires.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ISFAN makes a good point. I was unfairly judging the GS-D based on my past experience with the GS-C. I have not had the opportunity to push the GS-D so I really shouldn't be complaining. From past experience under various track conditions (open track, driving school, 1/4 mile) the performance Bridgestones tend to be an excellent combination of grip and longetivety. I personally prefer Yokohama for open track tires, but one session and then some daily driver duty pretty much eats them up. The Bridgestones tend to hold up much better. The Goodyears are OK for 1/4 mile stuff, but the tend to be pretty slippery on tracks that turn.

That being said, I doubt that the limts of either the Bridgestones or the Goodyears are a significant concern on the streets. If they are for you - you really need to get involved in some open track or auto-X events.

Terry

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The IS300 17" wheels come with Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tires _OR_ Goodyear Eagle GS-D. The factory picks which to put on when they make the car.

Basically Lexus considers that these two tires are roughly equivalent.

I have heard that the Potenza RE040 is perhaps a tad grippier although it may wear out sooner.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
For those of you that has the Potenza 040 tires, does it feel like the tires peel off quite often? I do hear the tires squeel when I am about 1/4 throttle during some of the turns when starting from rest. Maybe it is just the car has enough power to overcome the grip for a fraction of a second?
But the car does feel like it has quite a bit of grip when cornering at higher speed, much better than the Dunlop SP8000 and SP9000 I used to have on my GSX.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ive got potenzas and yes they do squeal a lot, with or without ect power, usually in mildly aggressive turns, or just regular turns at that, maybe its because i drive this car like its supposed to be driven(while sacraficing my expensive tires)

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have the goodyears on mine and i fond it really hard to break them free.

Martin

Black/Ivory IS300

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Martin:
I have the goodyears on mine and i fond it really hard to break them free.
I have GS-D's too and I noticed that they don't make a lot of noise, but they do in fact spin if I accelerate quickly on straights and corners.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've driven my Altezza for 11 months and 16,000km (10,000miles). After practicing spin turns too much, my tires have almost no grooves.

I went to a local tire store and got an appraisal for Michellin Virage 215-45-R17. It was US$860 including wheel balance and installment. I was wondering how much it costs in the US. (I know that prices in Japan are usually higher than in the US. Yep, we are always ripped off.)

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i dont know if michelin virages are sold here in the US, but the michelin pilot sports performance tires 215/45ZR-17 are
$236 USD each ($944, dont know if that includes installation and blance)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
this maybe a bad comparison, but when my friend had his M3 tires replaced a while back, it caused him $1500. He bought the Michellin MXX3 tires, which I know are pretty pricy, but it is one of the recommended replacement for IS. I think we are looking at least $700 to $800 per tire replacement.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
You guys go to www.tirerack.com and find the best prices. That's where I've been buying tires for years. NEVER EVER buy tires from the dealership unless you want to be robbed without a gun.
Eric...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
here is a list of tires in the OEM (215/45/17) sorted by approximate
(current) price:

$??? Bridgestone Potenza RE-040 * %%
$235 Michelin Pilot Sport *
$210 Dunlop SP Sport 2000
$195 Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico
$190 Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position
$185 Goodyear Eagel GS-D * ##
$180 Michelin MXX3 Pilot SX
$170 Pirelli P6000
$165 Michelin Pilot SX-GT (available in 215/45/17?)
$165 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 *
$160 Yokohama AVS Sport
$160 Yokohama AVS S1
$160 Firestore Firehawk SZ50
$150 Pirelli P7000
$145 Continental Sport Contact
$135 Micehlin XGT H4 RBL
$125 Pirelli P7000 Supersport
$125 Michelin Pilot Alpin
$125 Bridgestone Potenza RE730
$120 Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra
$120 Dunlop SP Sport 9000 *