Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those who are in an environment where snow is an issue, are you getting all seasons or seperate winter tires? I've always had all seasons before but I want the 17" tires and am not sure what I should do or even what my options are? PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The tires shipped with the 17" wheels will be pretty bad on snow.

I don't know if there are *any* 40 series tires designed to do well on snow.

The 16" wheels and tire package are the one to get if you plan on using the car in the snow... Sorry it has to be that way!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
If you want the 17" wheels, you'll only use those during the spring and summer, but get some decent aftermarket rims to use for the winter. Probably 15" or 16" rims (ugly steelies?!) with a set of good snow tires like Blizzaks are ideal for the winter.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
There of course are, 40 Series tires that are available for the Lexus performance alloy packages. Blizzak seems to have a couple high performance snow compounds available...Good suggestion to take off the alloy and slap on a steelie...saves the life of your 17" alloys ($400-600 if you were to buy them at a Lexus store!)

Also suggest actually stepping down to a 16" steel wheel and a narrower snow altogether.
The skinny "Hakapaalita Brand" snow tire is the best available in my opinion. Expensive, but well worth it.Any opinions??

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with JW and ISBlain. Go down one size for the winter tires(minus one concept). Not only will it save you money, a narrower tire actually helps you cut through the snow better. Using steel wheels will save you even more (although they may look ugly, but you can always put on some wheel covers I guess).
I have no experience with the Hakapaalita brand, but I have heard they are supposed to be pretty good. Or what about Nokian tires?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
SteveB
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing