Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first off ANYCAR with 17inch rims, with low profile performance/summer tires will SUCK in snow. I dont understand why ANYONE would say the IS sucks in snow, when BACK AT THE RANCH u have 17inch performance/summer tires! I mean HELLO? just b/c you bought a lexus, doesnt mean we have special 'summer' tires that can handle in the snow. bottomline is we bought a lexus IS300 "SPORTS" sedan, which was created with the intenions of "sporty" everything in mind. so please everyone go buy "SNOW" TIRES before starting another "help IS doesnt handle in snow" forum to add to the ALREADY 32312094712309 EXISTING forums that deal with this b/s subject already.. no attitude, or flame intended just tired of all the users who lost common sense.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Originally posted by think0rz:
ok first off ANYCAR with 17inch rims, with low profile performance/summer tires will SUCK in snow. I dont understand why ANYONE would say the IS sucks in snow, when BACK AT THE RANCH u have 17inch performance/summer tires! I mean HELLO? just b/c you bought a lexus, doesnt mean we have special 'summer' tires that can handle in the snow. bottomline is we bought a lexus IS300 "SPORTS" sedan, which was created with the intenions of "sporty" everything in mind. so please everyone go buy "SNOW" TIRES before starting another "help IS doesnt handle in snow" forum to add to the ALREADY 32312094712309 EXISTING forums that deal with this b/s subject already.. no attitude, or flame intended just tired of all the users who lost common sense.
My thoughts exactly. It has snowed over 6 inches here yesterday and I drove the whole day in it. I must say that my IS with 16" blizzaks handle better than ANY of my previous cars!!! Acura CL, Grand Am, other fwd's....etc. So yes it is b/s that this car is terrible in the snow. I am very confident driving in any weather condition in this car. But it is ALL IN THE TIRES!!!!
Think about this when you make comments about SUMMER ONLY tires performing in WINTER conditions.

[This message has been edited by nutinbut (edited December 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Think, Could it be that other members are just warning other members not to try driving in snow with the stock summer tires?

I haven't read any posts that say, "I thought the IS would be awesome in the snow but now find out it sucks" - which appears to be the point of your topic.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I guess I'm sick of all of those topics, too. I've read quite a few lately. If you're just warning people that the stock 17-inch performance tires suck in the snow... thanks, I think we get it.

But on the other hand, I can think of one particular "My-IS300-sucks-in-the-snow-and-I-hate-this-stupid-car!" threads where this particular user references many other vehicles. He went on to say (in not so many words) about how he was tired of Honda Civics, Toyota Tercels, and other vehicles passing him by in the snow in his $30,000+ brand spankin' new Lexus IS300.

I think he casually mentioned once that he had the 17-inch stock tires but throughout the entire thread continually kept talking as if it were the vehicle (IS300) as a whole. Which, of course, it is not.

*shrug* 'nuff said...

Scott.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Zoku:

But on the other hand, I can think of one particular "My-IS300-sucks-in-the-snow-and-I-hate-this-stupid-car!" threads where this particular user references many other vehicles. He went on to say (in not so many words) about how he was tired of Honda Civics, Toyota Tercels, and other vehicles passing him by in the snow in his $30,000+ brand spankin' new Lexus IS300.

Scott.
Zoku, Yes, that was a *dumb* topic...I just don't go for the generalizations (like the title of this topic) because I think there has been some good discussion about tires on the board - for example, I live in a "light snow" region. Do I go for:

. all seasons on stock rims
. mud and snows "
. snow tires on "
. all of the above on 16" rims
. stick with stock summer tires (not)
. then what about, "what brand"

My point is that there are a lot of options and I'm digging all of this tire discussion.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree completely... let's start talking tires and stop talking in a generalized manner about the IS itself.

Scott.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My tires work great in Houston where it rarely snows or ices over. The only problem being that they work so well I'll probably need new ones soon :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
only dumb as$ will think the high performance tires same as all season tires...

my advices
1..if your area have snow during winter time BUY THE SNOW TIRE it don't cost u a fortune

2 think before u post

Joe
toronto ,Canada

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry guys, no snow here...sunny almost everyday. The only thing I don't like about the 17 low profile summer tires is that it makes too much road noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
because the rubber of the high performance tires are much stiffer than the all season tires.because the high performance tires can handle higher speed than all season does
softer tires ususally generate more friction on very high speed and it will melt and lost control on the car
and the snow tires have the softest rubber to grip better on snow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Corolla
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing