Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tire shopping right now and wasnt really considering tire weight until a salesman told me the Toyo Proxes T1S were one of the lightest in the sizes I needed. So I searched around different message boards and found out people saving 3-4 lbs on each tire (from their previous set) felt noticeable differences in braking and acceleration.

Feel free to add to this list if you have solid information. Thanks

Goodyear GSD3
225/40/18 25lbs
255/35/18 28lbs

TOYO T1S
225/40/18 22lbs
255/35/18 24lbs

Bridgestone S03
225/40/18 25lbs
255/35/18 28lbs

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Noticeable difference in braking and acceleration from 16 lbs off of a 3100 lb car? Good info you provided, but that's bullshit, whoever said they "felt" 16 lbs is completely, and to the brim, full of shit. You probably wouldn't be able to feel 100 lbs, let alone 16.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Noticeable difference in braking and acceleration from 16 lbs off of a 3100 lb car? Good info you provided, but that's bullshit, whoever said they "felt" 16 lbs is completely, and to the brim, full of sh*t. You probably wouldn't be able to feel 100 lbs, let alone 16.
Not necessarily. When you reduce tire and/or wheel weight you are reducing unsprung weight and rotational mass. Reducing unsprung weight is one of the best things you can do for handling. And, of course everyone knows what a reduction in rotating mass, especially at the circumferance can do.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Noticeable difference in braking and acceleration from 16 lbs off of a 3100 lb car? Good info you provided, but that's bullshit, whoever said they "felt" 16 lbs is completely, and to the brim, full of sh*t. You probably wouldn't be able to feel 100 lbs, let alone 16.
goodness you're a fuckin idiot :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Yeah, good thing race cars use heavy wheels and tires, NOT!!!

Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about. ANYONE who has changed their wheel/tire combo to a lighter setup has noticed a huge difference in acceleration.

1lb shaved off per wheel = roughly 1hp regained from rotational mass.

When i switched from stock wheels with dunlops, (46lbs each), to my enkei's with toyo t1-s, (39lbs each), the difference around was 28lbs of rotational mass removed from the drive train. You're telling me you wouldn't feel a difference of ~28rwhp gain?

Please, don't ever turbo your car....

Kane

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Kanine21 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about. ANYONE who has changed their wheel/tire combo to a lighter setup has noticed a huge difference in acceleration.

When i switched from stock wheels with dunlops, (46lbs each), to my enkei's with toyo t1-s, (39lbs each), the difference around was 28lbs of rotational mass removed from the drive train. You're telling me you wouldn't feel a difference of ~28rwhp gain?

Kane
Boy, you sure showed me!

So explain to me exactly how you came up with the arbitrary figure of 1 HP per lb off the wheels. Does that same arbitrary number apply to 14" wheels the same as 19" wheels? :roll:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Be quiet your wrong :lol:

ÜberPhLuBB said:
Kanine21 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

Kane
Boy, you sure showed me!

So explain to me exactly how you came up with the arbitrary figure of 1 HP per lb off the wheels. Does that same arbitrary number apply to 14" wheels the same as 19" wheels? :roll:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I ask because he doesn't know. He's quoting some bullshit some other idiot told him. And that guy got the info from some other idiot. And so on and so on. It probably started with some Ricer 3 years ago and proliferated among the ranks of asians until everyone believed you get 1 HP from each lb removed from wheels, regardless of wheel size, car weight, or engine HP.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
I ask because he doesn't know. He's quoting some bullshit some other idiot told him. And that guy got the info from some other idiot. And so on and so on. It probably started with some Ricer 3 years ago and proliferated among the ranks of asians until everyone believed you get 1 HP from each lb removed from wheels, regardless of wheel size, car weight, or engine HP.
I learned that about 6 years ago watching a Formula 1 car race you retard. Everybody else seems to know it around here too except for you. It is common knowledge among wheel and tire distributors.

Again, if you don't know something, quit replying, you only make yourself look more like an idiot. :roll:

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
School is over.

:crazy:

u been schooled ÜberPhLuBB

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Kanine21 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
I learned that about 6 years ago watching a Formula 1 car race you retard. Everybody else seems to know it around here too except for you. It is common knowledge among wheel and tire distributors.

Again, if you don't know something, quit replying, you only make yourself look more like an idiot. :roll:
So now the same formula applies to a 700 lb 500 horsepower racing machine with 14" wheels the same as a 3100 lb 175 HP 17" wheel car?! What the FUCK!

·
Registered
548 Posts
1hp per 1 pound :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what are you smoking? really? I wanna know.

since having dynoed the car with regular stock 17s with nitto 555Rs and a set of weld Prostars with ET streets plus an addition mod, and there was no difference at all other than the one the pullies made.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
95snoozer said:

since having dynoed the car with regular stock 17s with nitto 555Rs and a set of weld Prostars with ET streets plus an addition mod, and there was no difference at all other than the one the pullies made.
Even though you are new and have low post count, and have a laughable name like "95snoozer," thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Kanine21 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

So now the same formula applies to a 700 lb 500 horsepower racing machine with 14" wheels the same as a 3100 lb 175 HP 17" wheel car?! What the f*ck!
Where the fuck do you get your numbers? F1 cars weigh in at about 1200lbs, have about 700hp. The IS weighs 3270. Did I say I was comparing that formula to every single car? No I didn't. I said that race cars use lighter wheels due to the reduction of rotational mass, which in turn = quicker acceleration, quicker/better steering response, much better braking. If you can't understand this simple principle, you're in big trouble when grow up and find out the world isn't flat.

Not to mention, I said ~1hp per 1lb shaved, see that little ~ sign? that means approximately. That means it isn't a rule of thumb, but with the average size of wheels being 17inches these days, this figure still applies.

I heard that about the F1 wheels back 6 years ago, even if the wheels diameter is 14", think about the width of the wheel.

Quick, sign up for a physics class before the Quarter starts!! It'll do wonders for ya'!!!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Kanine21 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Kanine21 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

So now the same formula applies to a 700 lb 500 horsepower racing machine with 14" wheels the same as a 3100 lb 175 HP 17" wheel car?! What the f*ck!
Where the f*ck do you get your numbers? F1 cars weigh in at about 1200lbs, have about 700hp. The IS weighs 3270. Did I say I was comparing that formula to every single car? No I didn't. I said that race cars use lighter wheels due to the reduction of rotational mass, which in turn = quicker acceleration, quicker/better steering response, much better braking. If you can't understand this simple principle, you're in big trouble when grow up and find out the world isn't flat.

Not to mention, I said ~1hp per 1lb shaved, see that little ~ sign? that means approximately. That means it isn't a rule of thumb, but with the average size of wheels being 17inches these days, this figure still applies.

I heard that about the F1 wheels back 6 years ago, even if the wheels diameter is 14", think about the width of the wheel.

Quick, sign up for a physics class before the Quarter starts!! It'll do wonders for ya'!!!
You have no evidence that 1 lb equals (or is anything near) 1 horsepower.

And of course I know what a tilde is. What's a tilde? It's that line you think you just ownt me with. You didn't know what a tilde is, and you are just repeating the same bullshit some other idiot ricer told you about wheel weights.

You show me PROOF that 1 lb equates to 1 HP (you show me proof that 1 lb equates to ONE FOURTH horsepower) and I'll shut up. Until then, go fuck yourself, riceboi.

·
Registered
548 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
95snoozer said:

Even though you are new and have low post count, and have a laughable name like "95snoozer," thank you.
I wish I had a name and a car such as yours

still ignorance is ignorance, and I will be on the side of right with you

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
[ÜberPhLuBB, you are one stupid fuck]

why the fuck do people use "lighter wheels"?
why the fuck do people use "lightend flywheel"?
why the fuck do people use "lightend or underdrive pulleyes"?
reducing rotational mass always helps.

oh, to tell you something more.
do you know why carbon brakes are better than steel ones?
not because the friction difference (its about same), but because it weighs a lot less. the brake rotors creates flywheel effects, and i hope you know the advantages of having lightend flywheel.
same shit goes to tires, and there IS advantages of having lighter tires.

[/ÜberPhLuBB, you are one stupid fuck]

oh btw, it takes about 1hp to rotate 6lbs

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
blueIS said:
[ÜberPhLuBB, you are one stupid f*ck]

why the f*ck do people use "lighter wheels"?
why the f*ck do people use "lightend flywheel"?
why the f*ck do people use "lightend or underdrive pulleyes"?
reducing rotational mass always helps.

oh, to tell you something more.
do you know why carbon brakes are better than steel ones?
not because the friction difference (its about same), but because it weighs a lot less. the brake rotors creates flywheel effects, and i hope you know the advantages of having lightend flywheel.
same sh*t goes to tires, and there IS advantages of having lighter tires.

[/ÜberPhLuBB, you are one stupid f*ck]

oh btw, it takes about 1hp to rotate 6lbs
I don't remember saying once that lightening rotational mass doesn't help. I said you can't feel it, just the same as if you put on an exhaust or intake (except MAYBE the SRT). I also said that 1 lb = 1 HP is bullshit.

Another fucker comes in late and doesn't read the whole thread. :roll:

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
:bitching: mofukka

can't we all just get along?

Kane leave him alone, you cannot talk him into trusting you. Even though most of your info Comes from the fine folks at ESPN.

David

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Well Uber,

All arguing aside, I felt a nice increase in accelleration when I went from my stock wheels/tires to the enkei's and toyo's. VERY noticable.

You won't believe it till you try it I guess, but if you get some extremely light wheels and tires, you'll feel the extra pull off the line, no doubt about it. As well as feeling the quicker braking response. I know the grip of the toyo's had a bit to do with the braking, but not so much on the acceleration.

On my old car, I had stock 15" wheels that weighed in at 16lbs, the tires were some old generic crap tires that were actually pretty light, the combo weighed in at a mere 34lbs. I purchased some Konig Monsoon's and Toyo FZ-4's, and that combo weighed in at a hefty 47lbs!

I felt a HUGE difference in acceleration! It was a dog off the line, the car didn't have near the snap it used to, and braking was worse (front disc, rear drum).

I didn't really know what was going on till I found out about the weight difference. I also found out that it makes a much bigger difference on auto's due to the constant slippage of the TC.

Now, does 1lb extra of rotational mass mean 1hp lost in the drivetrain? It very well could, think about it swinging on that axis. A lot of leverage there for some pretty decent weight.

If you lost 10lbs on all four wheels combined, it would feel as little as a 10hp gain, just on acceleration, not overall speed or anything. Just as a decent intake will give you 10rwhp, you barely feel that, right? The lighter wheel/tire setup feels about the same, if not better, on acceleration only. If you get an extremely lighter setup, you KNOW the difference.

Rally cars also use this. They use EXTREMELY light wheels, they're constantly breaking them cause they're designed for ultra light weight. They would be strong as hell on street use, but they really aren't that strong on the rally circuits. Their wheels usually are around 12lbs for a 15 or 16" wheel.

This is personal experience, I've felt it on two completely different cars, one instance going heavier, the other going lighter. People on this board know I don't exagerate or BS.

Believe what you want, but don't reply to posts like this unless you have personal experience.

Kane

1 - 20 of 23 Posts