Lexus IS Forum banner

Tire Weardown HELP!

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  importracr317 
#1 ·
Has anyone had extreme tire wear on the inside tread of there front tires. On both of them, on the inside tread....Do you have any ideas what it would be from if alignment was ok? This is the 2nd time too...I took it to the dealer and they gave me new tires..but its happening again.

#2 ·
#6 ·
apricot said:
Please help me. I am on my 3rd set of tires due to abnormal wear.
apricot
Please, specify what model year you have, what your mileage is, if the car was bought used.

TIP:
Alignment is free for the first year/20K miles.

#7 ·
ISzBest said:
Has anyone had extreme tire wear on the inside tread of there front tires. On both of them, on the inside tread....Do you have any ideas what it would be from if alignment was ok? This is the 2nd time too...I took it to the dealer and they gave me new tires..but its happening again.
I have more inner tire wear on my front wheels due to the geometry of the suspension on our cars. I'm currently on 20

#8 ·
i've had the same problem......when i got my IS, the Potenza's were worn down on the front inside......with only 19K miles..... :x .......i got new Continental Extreme contacts, which are beginning to get worn down now at 36k.......(more :x ) ......the stock susp. settings for the IS leaves a little negative camber in the front....about 1.5 degrees. great for cornering, but = teh suck for tire longevity.

i think you should be able to get it aligned and tell whoever is doing the job to set it to 0.00 negative or positive. you might loose some grip in the corners, but heh.....$500+ every 15k miles or less adds up...... :roll: ...thats what i'm gonna do when i get my Tein S techs. otherwise i'll be shaving the inner tread of tires clean off every 5k miles......

#9 ·
importracr317 said:
i've had the same problem......when i got my IS, the Potenza's were worn down on the front inside......with only 19K miles..... :x .......i got new Continental Extreme contacts, which are beginning to get worn down now at 36k.......(more :x ) ......the stock susp. settings for the IS leaves a little negative camber in the front....about 1.5 degrees. great for cornering, but = teh suck for tire longevity.

i think you should be able to get it aligned and tell whoever is doing the job to set it to 0.00 negative or positive. you might loose some grip in the corners, but heh.....$500+ every 15k miles or less adds up...... :roll: ...thats what i'm gonna do when i get my Tein S techs. otherwise i'll be shaving the inner tread of tires clean off every 5k miles......
When you purchased your car (if you bought new) you would have seen the little sticker to the left of the window sticker readying " this vehicle is equipped from the factory with high performance tires. tire life can be significantly less than 15,000miles depending on driving conditions."
the factory tires are very soft and have a tread wear of somthing around 120-140. (pretty damn low) 19,000 miles is pretty good life for factory tires. if you wanted 60k out of em, go buy an ES.
now if youve got sevearly uneven wear, then your alignment is probably to blame, probably lots of camber.

#10 ·
Lextech1 said:
importracr317 said:

When you purchased your car (if you bought new) you would have seen the little sticker to the left of the window sticker readying " this vehicle is equipped from the factory with high performance tires. tire life can be significantly less than 15,000miles depending on driving conditions."
the factory tires are very soft and have a tread wear of somthing around 120-140. (pretty damn low) 19,000 miles is pretty good life for factory tires. if you wanted 60k out of em, go buy an ES.
now if youve got sevearly uneven wear, then your alignment is probably to blame, probably lots of camber.
the outside of the tire had plenty of life left. the inside was completely shaved clean. i got it re-aligned when i had to buy a new set of tires. the spec sheet showed that the front factory specs are about -1.5 degrees in the front and about -0.5 in the rear. like i said. great for cornering, but crappy for longevity.
soft tires wear out quick. no suprise there. but even wear from use is different than negative camber tire wear.

like i said, when you get it aligned, see if they can't adjust it to 0.00 camber. it'll help you get the full life out of your tires.

#11 ·
importracr317 said:
Lextech1 said:
importracr317 said:

the outside of the tire had plenty of life left. the inside was completely shaved clean. i got it re-aligned when i had to buy a new set of tires. the spec sheet showed that the front factory specs are about -1.5 degrees in the front and about -0.5 in the rear. like i said. great for cornering, but crappy for longevity.
soft tires wear out quick. no suprise there. but even wear from use is different than negative camber tire wear.

like i said, when you get it aligned, see if they can't adjust it to 0.00 camber. it'll help you get the full life out of your tires.
i'll keep my alignment settings aggresivly tuned thankyou, much better on the track. i also perfer the way the car responds with negitive camber. Idont care about tire wear, these types of worries are for people who drive in a straight line to much.

#14 ·
Lextech1 said:
importracr317 said:
Lextech1 said:
importracr317 said:

i'll keep my alignment settings aggresivly tuned thankyou, much better on the track. i also perfer the way the car responds with negitive camber. Idont care about tire wear, these types of worries are for people who drive in a straight line to much.
there are lots of "I" 's in that post. if I recall correctly, this post wasn't about you. these types of worries are for people who have better things to spend money on regulary other than tires.

that said, you will loose cornering ability.....i said that at least twice. but you will wear out tires more quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.