Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2006 AWLexus IS 250 has had various Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires on it since I bought it 4 years ago. I need to replace all 4 tires, but my Pirelli's aren't available right now.
Need suggestions on what brand of tires I should switch to?
I want a quiet, smooth and buttery ride. So far the recommendations I've received have been to switch to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4.
I've also been told to switch to Continental, but can't remember the tire model. I've been told both are great! Any suggestions from my Lexus community?
My tire size is 225/45 R17 (94V)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have MPS AS4 on three different vehicles right now; my daily IS300, and both my Subies. I have MP Super Sports on my nice IS300.

The MPS AS4 are smooth and quiet and offer more grip than an all-season should be able to provide. They almost feel like they provide same grip in the wet.

I think it's really hard to go wrong with Michelin Pilot anything. That said, the Continental's are good too.

Check out the Youtube channel called "Tyre Reviews". It's a professional driver with access to lots of tires and racetracks where he gives very credible qualitative and quantitative analysis of nearly any tire you might be interested - and certainly the various Michelins and Contis.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agreed with Hodgdon...Michelin PS tires are a notch above most companies. You can't go wrong with it but they are a bit pricier than similar products of other brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions and advice. I looked more into the MPS AS4's. I was told by Michelin Corporate that I would sacrifice on the life of the tire because its a softer tire. I read reviews that seemed to confirm that. Any tire that grips the road well is a softer tire and will wear out sooner.
These are on the pricier side which I don't mind paying for quality, but not wanting to rebuy them any sooner than necessary. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Don't forget that tires go bad over time, not just miles. The rubber hardens, loses grip, and begins to crack. I do some business with a couple tire manufacturers and have asked the engineers about this because anecdotally, it seems tires don't last as long as they used to. They've told me that tires don't last (in years) as long as they used to because they have changed the compounds to make scrap tires decompose and break down faster for ecological reasons. Really, the tire is only "prime" for 3 years, and 5 is pushing it.

My point is that an 80k tire is pointless if it takes you 7 years to accumulate 80k miles; you'll be driving on crappy unsafe tires for 2-3 years of ownership. (To say nothing of fact that new vs. new - the 80k tire has way less grip than a 40k tire)

On Discount Tire, the cheapest 225/45-17 is $77 a pop. That means a set of 4 will be ~$450 mounted/balanced/taxed

The MPS AS4 is $726 all up, for a difference of $275.

Considering they'll last 3-4 years @ 12k miles per year, that is less than $100/year extra to have great tires instead of crappy ones.

I can't speak for anybody else's financial situation, but considering your life, the lives of others, and the life of your car all depend on your tires providing grip and control - $100/year extra seems like a no brainer to me.

Last, don't forget that a crappy car on great tires will run circles around a great car on crappy tires.

·
Registered
601 Posts
And a correction:

Earlier I said I had the MPS AS4 and I was wrong. I have MPS AS3+ on 3 of my cars.

However, I just put a set of MPS AS4 on my girlfriend's car. It's not an apples/apples comparison because she has a relatively new Honda HRV vs my 20 year old machines - but the AS4 on her car seems quieter and smoother than my AS3+. Can't really opine on the grip difference - but the girlfriend commented the tires feel and ride great. And, her dad (a bit of a car guy) noticed the MPS tires instantly and approved 100%.

·
4,743 Posts
I really like the Continental DW06 tires. For life, ride and performance. Over all.But everyone has their opinion. Do your own research and pick the tire that you can afford.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Location plays are really big role on the tires you buy.....if you are in dry warm weather 90% of the year, you can get away with a harder compound tire as grip is not a much of an issue. So you can go for a longer lasting harder compound tire and still be perfectly fine. If you live in Seattle or somewhere that's more wet and colder, the MPS AS4 will be better because you'll need more grip due to the colder surface temp. Pricier but you get the piece of mind you won't slide when it's wet and slippery is something I look for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts