Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the oil changed and a general inspection at the dealer in advance of my little trip to Whistler, BC on Wednesday. The service guy told me there was a service advisory saying that the Potenzas should be inflated to 42 pounds psi. The manual says 33 lbs. I've been keeping the tires at 33-34 lbs ever since I bought the car...and I check the pressure every week.

My question...anyone else heard of a "service advisory" like this? If so, why wouldn't Lexus tell owners directly? If they think it is dangerous and risk blowouts to run the tires at the specs in the manual and on the car, then don't they have an obligation to tell people right away? I don't believe the guy, since I'm getting good life from the tires and had no trouble. I didn't let him touch my tires.

Comments?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Sorry, the dude who you talked to is retarded...this is what it says right on the tire...

Dont know why the hell he would want to inflate it to 42 psi...

Its suppose to be 33 so dont let anyone tell you otherwise...

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. Grrrr. The moron probably thought that because I am female it must naturally follow that I am stupid and gullible. Service advisory indeed... Humpf. :roll:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I seriously hope this guy isnt telling everyone with the potenzas that it needs to be 42 psi...cause some people will believe him and it could be dangerous...

I could see him saying 1 or 2 pounds more but 9 pounds over normal + the tire says do not exceed 40? Something is not right...

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I called the dealership back just now and told them what it says on the tire. They STILL argued with me that they have a service advisory saying that they should be inflated to 42. I told him that looks to me to be dangerous and that I have no intention of inflating them to that level.

·
Registered
831 Posts
you should stand back and inflate the with a long long handpump or something. When it blows up sue the dealership for a free RX330 :D

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flproject13 said:
you should stand back and inflate the with a long long handpump or something. When it blows up sue the dealership for a free RX330 :D
Yeah, I could just plug my electric pump into the cigarette lighter, attach the nozzle to the tire and let her rip..right in their service bay :lol:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
some autocrosser/racers run upwards of 42psi to prevent sidewall from rolling.

i use around 37psi for normal spirited driving, and somewhere around 41 for hard driving.

42psi sounds too high for average driving... but i dont really see problem w/ that. you know... you can always deflate it...

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out to look at my Potenzas. They actually have a maximum pressure of 51 lbs. stamped on them.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
SeattleSheila said:
I went out to look at my Potenzas. They actually have a maximum pressure of 51 lbs. stamped on them.
:oops: Well thats odd...I have the potenza RE040 (came stock), and it says never exceed 40. What kind do you have?

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IS-300-Rulez said:
SeattleSheila said:
:oops: Well thats odd...I have the potenza RE040 (came stock), and it says never exceed 40. What kind do you have?
I've got the replacements Lexus provided under the 2001 model tire "recall". They put them on last November. Unlike the original Potenzas, these have double sidewalls...(that's what I was told).

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
SeattleSheila said:
IS-300-Rulez said:
SeattleSheila said:
I've got the replacements Lexus provided under the 2001 model tire "recall". They put them on last November. Unlike the original Potenzas, these have double sidewalls...(that's what I was told).
Well im not sure what model they are but I guess you dont have the RE040, in that case you can forget everything I posted :lol: :oops:

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IS-300-Rulez said:
SeattleSheila said:
IS-300-Rulez said:
SeattleSheila said:
Well im not sure what model they are but I guess you dont have the RE040, in that case you can forget everything I posted :lol: :oops:
Yah, well, I'm still not putting more than 35 in them. They are wearing well and I'm happy with the handling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
all cars and i mean all cars tires should be inflated from 30-32 p.s.i. if you inflate a tire to 42 p.s.i. well good luck and hope you don't die doing it... call any tire manufacter and ask them...

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Doesn't the tire get more pressure in it while driving hot streets?
I would never go against whats on the tire either. Thats Ludacris. Thats Nelly.

on my tires the other day, I found that all 3 of them that were on the car already all had around 33 psi but the one that I had replaced not long ago had 40. I dont know what the PSI for my tire is, but I just dropped that one down to the same as the rest.

one thing I have experienced that I know for sure is, an underinflated tire is like rolling resistance. And simply filling it up to the correct PSI can feel like getting a few extra horse power. So now I keep a tire guage in my car somewhere.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The MAX tire pressure on the sidewall is what air pressure you need to run to support the maximum load (weight) on the tire which is also listed on the sidewall. You are hardly endangered with 42 PSI in a tire that requires 50 PSI to support MAX weight load. In a car it is more about ride comfort, tire wear, and handling.

When towing we always set the tires on the tow vehicle and race car trailer towards their MAX PSI ratings which is what the tow vehicle, trailer, and tire MFGs recommended

Where you can get into trouble with towing is if you set your tire pressures when the outside air temp is 20 degrees then tow into the Desert where the air temp is 90+. For roughly every 10 degrees change in air temp, a tire will gain or lose 1 PSI.

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went and had a closer look. On my Potenzas the maximum is stamped 51 lbs. In the "fine print" it says no more than 40 lbs and all cases to do what the vehicle's owner's manual says.

·
11,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thedon said:
Doesn't the tire get more pressure in it while driving hot streets?
I would never go against whats on the tire either. Thats Ludacris. Thats Nelly.

on my tires the other day, I found that all 3 of them that were on the car already all had around 33 psi but the one that I had replaced not long ago had 40. I dont know what the PSI for my tire is, but I just dropped that one down to the same as the rest.

one thing I have experienced that I know for sure is, an underinflated tire is like rolling resistance. And simply filling it up to the correct PSI can feel like getting a few extra horse power. So now I keep a tire guage in my car somewhere.
I have a gauge in the glove compartment and check the tires every week. I use my electric tire pump when necessary. I keep that in the trunk.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
macavely said:
all cars and i mean all cars tires should be inflated from 30-32 p.s.i. if you inflate a tire to 42 p.s.i. well good luck and hope you don't die doing it... call any tire manufacter and ask them...
Um, this is one of the dumbest posts I've seen around here in a LONG time. And I don't criticize much...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts