Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand do you guys use for tire gauges
I have this digital tire gauge I bought from pep boys and it sucks gives me different readings everytime.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Blue Point from Snap on is the Best!!!

------------------
IS 300

TRD Front & Rear Undercar Brace Kit
TRD Front & Rear Sway bars
TRD Front Grill
Tom's Rear Tower Bar
Tom's Lower Performance Rod Rear
Tom's Suspension Member Reinforcement Rod (Front & Rear)

[This message has been edited by SiR S-Spec (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is the digital gauge you got by any chance an "Accutire", cause if it is then I'm with you, they do blow chunks. Never the same reading twice. I'm thinking of getting a professional one with a dump valve that allows you to purge an overpressure tire with the gauge still on the valve. I bought a compressor to use in my garage to keep the tires on my Lexus and my wifes Bimmer in peak shape, so I guess it would be kinda dumb to skimp on the tire gauge.

------------------
vr
SoCal
DWP IS300

[This message has been edited by VR 63 (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
11,061 Posts
My Dad thought he was doing me a favor by giving me a digital tire gauge. You're right. It sucked. I've gone back to the old fashioned kind....stainless steel with the little white plastic tongue that comes out the end and shows you what the reading is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought one from Radio Schack and it works great for $8.00.

------------------
Silver,Graphite, Black
Fully Loaded

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've gone back to the old fashioned kind....stainless steel with the little white plastic tongue that comes out the end and shows you what the reading is. [/B]
Sheila, You referring to male body parts again? Does this statement have anything to do with knobs?

Seriously, I have a semi-old fashioned gauge but instead of a "tongue" (hehe), it has a round face - kinda like a clock. Accurate and easy to read - maybe the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
150 Posts
actually accutire has different models. I'm not sure if we have the same ones, but I have one that comes with an aluminum case(like an eyglass case) and the entire gauge is housed in a aluminum shell with backlight for the LCD. It is pretty accurate. I haven't really gotten any fluctuating readings yet.

I have seen other models from accutire that needs calibration once in a while. From what the manual said, My model calibrates itself every time it shuts off.

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Sheila, You referring to male body parts again? Does this statement have anything to do with knobs?

Seriously, I have a semi-old fashioned gauge but instead of a "tongue" (hehe), it has a round face - kinda like a clock. Accurate and easy to read - maybe the best of both worlds.

That's what I like about this web site...gets my mind off insurance and right into the gutter...which is a mite more interesting most of the time.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by VR 63:
I'm thinking of getting a professional one with a dump valve that allows you to purge an overpressure tire with the gauge still on the valve.
I have one that I think I got from Imparts (now defunct?). It doesn't have a hose, so it's very small, just the gauge with a rubber "g-shock" surround and the fitting with a dump value button. Works well, had it for years...

------------------
Tony
'01 Stock Spectra Blue
'94 12psi Turbo Miata

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmmm...how much of a difference are you getting with Accutire? I have one, model ms-4020, and it works just fine. I mean you will get a different readings but should be within +/- 1% as specified. My second reading is usually within +/- 0.5psi off from the 1st reading, which is very minimal. I used to use the old fashioned kind with the "tongue" as Sheila discribes it
. Maybe it's because my old one is outdated or something but I would always get a reading that's 1 or 2 ticks off, each tick = 2psi.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
i like the gauge types myself...i had like 4 of them...now i can only find one...

but they seem to be much more accurate and way easier to use and read...especially when you are at the line ready to run and you need to check your tire pressure really fast...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
98 MB CLK 320 white
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra pearl white

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Accutire that I have jumps around as much as 2-3psi in either direction, of course it's the cheap one. No matter though cause I found a mechanical one at Pep Boys made by G.H. Meiser & Co. that has a hose and a purge valve for about $16 and it's pretty solid.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I just bought a digital guage that runs on a lithium battery and is encased in heavy metal with a carrying case. You can get these at Sam's Club for around $15 and it has read accurately. I recommend it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts