Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so much information on my.is and tire rack and i am having some problems deciding. So basically, i just installed the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and everything is great except when i get up to 82mph, there is some vibration. Discount Tire has rebalanced the tires 3 times and balanced it to where there is 0 allowance, so the tire is 100% balanced and they did a road force test and it is returning about 18-23 pounds which they say is within specification.

However, what is really annoying me is the vibration past 82mph. The driving is absolutely smooth until 80mph.

So i spoke at great lengths with the store manager at discount tire where i got my tires and he said that the DWS is a W rated tire and it has harder sidewalls and also the asymmetric thread design on the side where there are larger blocks which is intended to grip snow is causing the vibration. To sum it all up, he says that the tires are probably a bad match for the car since the IS has a stiff suspension. He has offered to allow me to pick another set of tires and recommended that i drop my speed rating from a W to the original V rating. He also recommended the Michelin HX MXM4 because the thread pattern is more closed and it would eliminate the vibrations. However, tirerack and reviews rates those very poorly.

My problem is that there are not many choices in the V speed category and what is important to me is noise, comfort and NO vibrations at high speeds. Traction is somewhat important but less important than noise, comfort and vibration. I live in Michigan so i need all season tires.

I would really appreciate comments and recommendations or a solution to my problem.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alignment. Before that get some hub centering rings and see if that fixes it. Theyre really cheap and can be bought at most wheel/tire shop. Also, just to make sure, double check to see if all tires are the same size for AWD. If you have a RWD make sure that the rears are the same size and make sure both fronts are the same size as well. I know its stupid but I once had someone mount/balance tires that I purchased from them and had one that was a size taller. Yeah, stupid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies... I actually had my alignment checked and the guy says that it is fine. However, i feel that there is a slight pull to the right, but it is intermittent. However, it is always a pull to the right. Sometimes it is felt at 85, sometimes at 40. Does this mean that it is an alignment error?

I never thought that vibrations can be fixed by alignments or is my vibration different?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
thanks for the replies... I actually had my alignment checked and the guy says that it is fine. However, i feel that there is a slight pull to the right, but it is intermittent. However, it is always a pull to the right. Sometimes it is felt at 85, sometimes at 40. Does this mean that it is an alignment error?

I never thought that vibrations can be fixed by alignments or is my vibration different?

Thanks guys!
Vibrations are one of the number one reasons to check your alignment. Your alignment could be within specs but the camber or toe might be favoring one side; hence your pull to one side. Im assuming thats under hard acceleration?

I forgot to ask if you had aftermarket wheels. Hub centric rings are only needed if you do and the new wheels have a bigger bore than the stock hub. Anyways if you have aftermarket wheels try the hub centric rings and if its not that, keep taking it to Lexus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vibrations are one of the number one reasons to check your alignment. Your alignment could be within specs but the camber or toe might be favoring one side; hence your pull to one side. Im assuming thats under hard acceleration?

I forgot to ask if you had aftermarket wheels. Hub centric rings are only needed if you do and the new wheels have a bigger bore than the stock hub. Anyways if you have aftermarket wheels try the hub centric rings and if its not that, keep taking it to Lexus.
I just got the alignment checked and corrected. The vibrations are better and there is no more pulling. It is not perfect like I want it to be, but i have a slightly bent rim which is on my rear left. Would i be feeling that on the wheel? The seat and chassis does not vibrate. Only the wheel.

Also do u know where i can find a cheap rim to replace my bent rim?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got the alignment checked and corrected. The vibrations are better and there is no more pulling. It is not perfect like I want it to be, but i have a slightly bent rim which is on my rear left. Would i be feeling that on the wheel? The seat and chassis does not vibrate. Only the wheel.

Also do u know where i can find a cheap rim to replace my bent rim?
Wish you told us that earlier. lol Thats most likely your problem. Did this start happening around the time you hit whatever you hit? A slightly bent wheel that holds tire pressure might not cause this but if it is a big bend then you might be able to get away with balancing the wheel/tire again. If its a bigger bend I would buy a new wheel.

Are these stock or aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish you told us that earlier. lol Thats most likely your problem. Did this start happening around the time you hit whatever you hit? A slightly bent wheel that holds tire pressure might not cause this but if it is a big bend then you might be able to get away with balancing the wheel/tire again. If its a bigger bend I would buy a new wheel.

Are these stock or aftermarket wheels?
sorry, but i just found out myself. I just got this car used 2 weeks ago. The manager at discount tire did say that the bent is slight, not something i need to replace now, but he says if the bent is bad enough, i should feel it at 60. The fact that is smooth at 75, means that the bent affecting it much. And he says that putting the bent wheel at the back should not have a vibrating steering wheel... Also, i am using the stock 17in rims. What do u guys say?

·
Registered
44 Posts
sorry, but i just found out myself. I just got this car used 2 weeks ago. The manager at discount tire did say that the bent is slight, not something i need to replace now, but he says if the bent is bad enough, i should feel it at 60. The fact that is smooth at 75, means that the bent affecting it much. And he says that putting the bent wheel at the back should not have a vibrating steering wheel... Also, i am using the stock 17in rims. What do u guys say?
You still might feel the vibration from a bent wheel if it is in the back. It might cause the vehicle to shake, causing the steering wheel to shake. It being in the back probably is why it doesnt shake until youre going a little faster. Just read again that you balanced it already so I would buy a new wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You still might feel the vibration from a bent wheel if it is in the back. It might cause the vehicle to shake, causing the steering wheel to shake. It being in the back probably is why it doesnt shake until youre going a little faster. Just read again that you balanced it already so I would buy a new wheel.
any deals on getting a cheap and Original wheel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.