Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a blue '01 IS and recently sold it since I'm moving into Manhattan. This is what I got from talking to different dealers.

1. Get black, white or silver- highest resale value
2. Don't modify it-I had an intake and it brought the value down.
3. Wax the car soon after purchasing it- paint chips easily.
4. Don't buy it if you don't know what your definite plan is in near future.
5. Don't buy it if you can't afford it.
6. Nice cars are not all it's hyped up to be.
7. If you like cars and get bored easily, best bet would be to lease the car right before the next year-model comes out.
8. Don't get the IS if you're over 25.

·
Registered
170 Posts
About number two, I thought waxing a brand new car would tarnish the finish or something like that. I always heard that you should wait about a year before waxing your car for the first time. Is this not true?

And could you explain numbers 4 & 8?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Huh? No. 8 is just asinine. If someone can afford an IS before that, all I can say is congrats. But the reality is that to afford an IS before 25 would be the exception, not the rule. I could have bought one at 25, but not before that. I decided to buy a house instead and put ~30 grand down. (so I could have a nice place to put my nice car.) I would have to say the under 25 year old demo for this car would be the hard worker that lives at home that pays for nothing but the car. Or someone who decided to forego college and started working right after high school that has exceptionally intelligent. Or this person's parents bought it. I've only seen one person that looked under 25 driving an IS in Cleveland and I'm sure it was his parents' (he looked about 17.) The others were all late 20s, 30s, and 40s. No offense to those who have parents that can afford to buy them an IS. I hope to do that sort of thing for my child (as long as they appreciate it.)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Comment on some numbers:

1- I agree.

2- Modifications themselves don't bring resale value down... it's the notion that someone who would modify their car, also drives their car hard (as compared to someone who does not modify the car).

3- I agree... paints today do not have as many "heavy metals" as they had in the past and therefore do not have to "cure" as long; and due to the transit times to the dealers the cars are ready to be waxed immediately off the lot (NOTE: this does not apply to paint applied to at bodyshops, they probably use a different formula paint then manufacturers).

4- I agree.

5- I agree.

6- I sort of agree.

7- I agree.

8- HUH?

EDIT - Fixed some typos

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: soulstalker ]

·
Registered
69 Posts
1. I can somewhat agree with that, but they also had the highest allocation so shouldn't they be easy to get...
2. ..? Unless they don't want to certify cars with mods, I don't really understand this one...
3. I agree, but you can wax it everyday, but stone chips are still going to happen
4. agreed
5. isn't this true for anything..?
6. a dealer told you this..? Were you at the Kia dealer..?
7. agreed
8. ..? are they going to give you less money on your trade b/c your over 25

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by RichardTrickle:
Huh? No. 8 is just asinine. If someone can afford an IS before that, all I can say is congrats. But the reality is that to afford an IS before 25 would be the exception, not the rule. I could have bought one at 25, but not before that. I decided to buy a house instead and put ~30 grand down. (so I could have a nice place to put my nice car.) I would have to say the under 25 year old demo for this car would be the hard worker that lives at home that pays for nothing but the car. Or someone who decided to forego college and started working right after high school that has exceptionally intelligent. Or this person's parents bought it. I've only seen one person that looked under 25 driving an IS in Cleveland and I'm sure it was his parents' (he looked about 17.) The others were all late 20s, 30s, and 40s. No offense to those who have parents that can afford to buy them an IS. I hope to do that sort of thing for my child (as long as they appreciate it.)
I am 22 and I can afford an IS without any problems at all. I am married (for a week now
), just graduated from college, and am completely inependant. I do not think of myself as an exception.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: MrAbear ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
MrAbear:
AMEN!

RichardTrickle:
I am 22, recently graduated from college, don't live at home, completely independant. I worked my @$$ off and got two degrees and a good job. I am now saving for a down payment on a house. I do not think it is a rediculous notion to buy this car under 25.

·
Registered
301 Posts
MrAbear & P-Bear,

Let's not get into this whole issue of who can afford this car... AGAIN. It has been beaten to death all of last year, but I guess it's coming back, with a surge of "new" buyers.

I'm 27 and like you two, I worked hard to get my money.

However, unlike you two, I REALIZE how fortunate I am (coming from a family with no money to speak of -- my parents still can not afford the car I drive).

Please open your eyes and see that most people are not nearly as fortunate as you.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: soulstalker ]

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright #6 and #8 were just my opinion. But I was not talking about the whole issue with age or whether you can afford the car. I just feel that in my opinion, the IS' design is more suitable for those 25 and younger.
I learned that it's especially difficult to sell this car when the target market is so small whether Lexus intended for it to be or not. Personally I don't think Lexus intended this but not alot of people over- mid to late twenties would not buy this car.
Whether you agree or not, I'm just trying to help people save some money in the long run from my experience.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: PMD911 ]

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I just turned 21, I can afford this car comfortably.......although it seems (at least around here)...young punks drive the car, and not the group of people I though would. So, at 25+, I would hope to have something different and more 'grown up' if you will. Then, on the side, my Type R or whatever to use as a project car. At least thats what I say now. I am about 1/2 way done saving my downpayment for my house....so ya know.!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also got a good job after college. I saved for a year and put down on a $300k house. I then spent the next two years buying furniture, appliances, etc.

Now I'm 26 and ready to buy a 2002 IS. Why am I too old?

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by mattssi:
I just turned 21, I can afford this car comfortably.......although it seems (at least around here)...young punks drive the car, and not the group of people I though would. So, at 25+, I would hope to have something different and more 'grown up' if you will. Then, on the side, my Type R or whatever to use as a project car. At least thats what I say now. I am about 1/2 way done saving my downpayment for my house....so ya know.!
You put it in better words. I'm 24 and felt too old to be driving the car after owning for awhile. Punks tailgating you and stuff when you're trying to get home from work after a stressful day.
Call me an old geezer but I'm suggesting that you get a GS or a BMW if you're like me.

·
11,062 Posts
Don't wax; CLEAR COAT!
(Still chips though.
)
Hey, I'm over 25 and I LOVE the car! You're only as old as you feel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have to disagree. I'm 32, 33 on Saturday. Hell, you have got to be kidding me. Too old? I'm married with a 4 year old daugther, why would I NOT want this car, it's a blast to drive. I get nothing but compliments in it.

Don't let society, and especially PMD911 (pre menstral discharge)(J/K)when your too old.
Rarely do I have young guys tailgate or mess with me. First off, I'm a Former Marine and X-cop, I'm really not too worried about some kids messing with me. Hell, I'll run e'm if it looks safe!

I test drove the GS400 and its not near as fun to drive.

Your only as old as you act! Ask Gennady, he's seen my garage, I'm just a 13 year old with a good job!

Oh yeah, I can't wait till the supercharger wars are over and can make an educated decision on which one to get.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Hunt NXS ]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't understand the part about being able to afford the car at all! We are fortunate to even be able to talk about buying this car. Everyone has their own financial situation and that is what determines whether they can afford the car or not. To those of you that are 22, 24 or whatever with college degrees, I salute you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just turned 26 and I don't think I'm too old to have this car. I'm a college grad with a decent job, so I'm gonna jump on it. I don't have a house yet, but when I do, hopefully I'll be parking a MB CLK 430 and a big SUV (for the family) in the garage!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
16 Participants
RichardTrickle
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing