Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about going to check out the North American International Autoshow in Detroit in a few weeks. What tips do you have for going there?

Right now I'm thinking about taking the train to windsor... take that shuttle bus to the show... sleep over and come back sunday night. Where's a good place to stay? What discounts are there? Is it too late to make plans?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
336 Posts
i used to go regularly when my brother lived in detroit...a few tips/hints:

- the area near the convention centre (or whatever building the show is housed at) is CRAP. do not stay anywhere near there. UNLESS you are near the renaissance at the GM centre...which will likely be pricey. i think you can catch the mini-train that goes between those two areas (not entirely sure on that)
- why bother taking the train/bus? why not drive straight down?
- there is some amazing shopping up the I-75 at a mall called somerset (http://www.thesomersetcollection.com/). we have NOTHING like it in the GTA. i would compare somerset to costa mesa if you've ever been so SoCal. it's in an area called troy which is very nice. you can find some nicer hotels for better prices up there.
- we normally went to the show first thing in the morning on the saturday, we'd be done by about 1 or 2 pm and then we'd head up to somerset for the rest of the day (it's open until 9 pm).
- if you can buy your tix online, definitely do so; the line ups at the queue are pretty long.
- food is bad and expensive but that is par for the course.
- if you're looking for a hotel, check out hotwire or priceline.

have fun!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
drive down. it's MUCH easier. we do it every year.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh-oh... you're saying the hotels in the downtown center are crap?!?!? Right now I think I got a "deal" for a hotel just outside the city. It's located off a freeway and Google says it's 15 minutes away from the COBO Center. Where do you guys recommend staying? I was actually at one point considering two of the Marriott hotels that claimed to be less than a mile away from the COBO Center.

How is the downtown Detroit area crime-wise anyways? I saw a cheap hotel just past the 8th Mile Road... but after seeing the Eminem movie... I quickly decided against going there. :lol:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stay in Windsor & Party downtown.. Take the Tunnel Bus over. COBO is like a 3 minuite walk from the Tunnel crossing.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i used to go regularly when my brother lived in detroit...a few tips/hints:

- the area near the convention centre (or whatever building the show is housed at) is CRAP. do not stay anywhere near there. UNLESS you are near the renaissance at the GM centre...which will likely be pricey. i think you can catch the mini-train that goes between those two areas (not entirely sure on that)
- why bother taking the train/bus? why not drive straight down?
- there is some amazing shopping up the I-75 at a mall called somerset (The Somerset Collection). we have NOTHING like it in the GTA. i would compare somerset to costa mesa if you've ever been so SoCal. it's in an area called troy which is very nice. you can find some nicer hotels for better prices up there.
- we normally went to the show first thing in the morning on the saturday, we'd be done by about 1 or 2 pm and then we'd head up to somerset for the rest of the day (it's open until 9 pm).
- if you can buy your tix online, definitely do so; the line ups at the queue are pretty long.
- food is bad and expensive but that is par for the course.
- if you're looking for a hotel, check out hotwire or priceline.

have fun!
some great tips there! +rep
I would add on that its definitely great to go down, goto the show early, then go shopping, go back through the Canadian border and say that you just went for the show... so you don't declare anything haha

·
Registered
336 Posts
Uh-oh... you're saying the hotels in the downtown center are crap?!?!? Right now I think I got a "deal" for a hotel just outside the city. It's located off a freeway and Google says it's 15 minutes away from the COBO Center. Where do you guys recommend staying? I was actually at one point considering two of the Marriott hotels that claimed to be less than a mile away from the COBO Center.

How is the downtown Detroit area crime-wise anyways? I saw a cheap hotel just past the 8th Mile Road... but after seeing the Eminem movie... I quickly decided against going there. :lol:
i would definitely avoid staying downtown unless you REALLY only want to go to the show. the restaurants are limited and there's no shopping. stay up in troy or one of the suburbs and there will be much more to do.

as for crime, i can't say for sure but downtown is definitely creepy...and deserted.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stay in Windsor & Party downtown.. Take the Tunnel Bus over. COBO is like a 3 minuite walk from the Tunnel crossing.
I was thinking about the staying on the Windsor side as well. The hotels were cheaper!

Isn't it a hassle though if you are going to see the show for more than one day? Then you gotta cross the border (go thru customs) multiple times.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you guys goto the show... do you go for one day or two? I keep hearing people say there's too much to see in one day.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
well if you're going to like EVERY brand there, and checking out EVERY model then you'll be there a while...

I was in and out of the show in 4 hours myself last year.
I would guess I'll do the same this year.

There are some cars I'm just not that interested in, so why would I waste time there?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think that you'll be more than one day at the show. It's not that big. When I used to come down from out of town, I'd come down for 2 nights, Do the show early in the day to avoid most of the rush. Do some shopping in the afternoon & evening. Hit Windsor downtown clubs that night. Next day, Have a good breakfast, Drive home at a comfortable pace. Especially with the police prescence on the 401.

Windsor Social Canada Social: Windsor Nightclubs Bars Lounges Pubs : Windsor Ontario Canada - Home

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Why not see who else might be interested and share gas costs and drive one car and head home after the show instead of staying over?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not 100% sure... but I'm aiming for Jan 19-20th.

What about you?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not see who else might be interested and share gas costs and drive one car and head home after the show instead of staying over?
Right now I have one friend I'll likely head down with if I go. I guess the idea with sleeping over is that it can be a relaxed trip. Maybe even check out some other stuff while down there.

The hotels around the COBO center is expensive... in the $200 per night range. But I'm getting a deal for a place that's supposed to be 15 minutes drive away for a third of the cost.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
For the life of me literally i would not spend the night in Detroit .

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Im thinkin about drivin down after work on the 19th. Spend the night at the hilton and spend the whole day sunday at the show.

Ill prolly end up drivin back home sunday night.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
day trip for me, early morning on the 19th, goto the show, shop and come back late to TO...

if you're not planning to drive your Lexus (I'm not), don't forget your Lexus key so you can get into the Lexus lounge (usually they'll have one!)

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can do the show in a day. Any car there you can actually get into can be gotten into at your local dealer too. New models and concept cars will be on display behind barriers accompanied by some of Detroit's finest ladies; it will be photos only.

One day should be plenty for that, and if you want to stay I wouldn't stay anywhere south of 8mile. But to drive that far north for a hotel you might as well cross the border again into Windsor instead.

Parking downtown often feels risky, but during the auto show I found there were enough visitors around that it seemed pretty safe during the day.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Is anyone else going to the Industry show days, before the public opening?

Sorry Crester, I am going to spend 2 days there, but with industry passes.

These are a little pricey, for Joe Public at $75.00 per day.

Digger08

1 - 20 of 50 Posts