Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a black onyx and people keep telling me to tint my windows!!

I do see other black onyx IS300s w/ tinted windows and they do look gooood...but since I'm such a nooob, I was wondering what would be a good percentage tint for my car? I don't want it to be TOO dark, and being that I live in CA, i think there's a limit to how dark you can tint your windows

and also, does anyone know of any good quality places for window tinting in or near San Francisco? I don't mind paying the $$, I just want a good quality window tint! i shudder when I think of all those civics with bubbles on their tinted windows! very ugly.

thanks!

·
Registered
512 Posts
speedzone on san bruno ave by valero is where i got mine for $200. there king tint by tanofran and i got quoted $240 but i could have gotten it a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
565 Posts
the tint law in california is that you cannot have any tint on your front driver and passenger side windows.

most tint is pretty good, just use your common sense when picking a place to do it. dont use windex on the inside of your windows or else you will have those bubbles like all those civics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I currently own a black onyx and people keep telling me to tint my windows!!

I do see other black onyx IS300s w/ tinted windows and they do look gooood...but since I'm such a nooob, I was wondering what would be a good percentage tint for my car? I don't want it to be TOO dark, and being that I live in CA, i think there's a limit to how dark you can tint your windows

and also, does anyone know of any good quality places for window tinting in or near San Francisco? I don't mind paying the $$, I just want a good quality window tint! i shudder when I think of all those civics with bubbles on their tinted windows! very ugly.

thanks!
at last.. frisko is'ers.. dont get tints cuz its illegal to have it in the 2 front windows.. so u cant just tint the back ones.. wont look right.. speed zone could smoke out your tails for cheap tho.. about $40 will do the job.. but u gotta bring your own tint film which u could pick up on ebay or something..

Speed Zone
2907 San Bruno Ave
San Francisco, CA 94134
(415) 330-9668
look for raymond.. he offers the best customer service in there.. friendly and helpful and will get your shit done..

·
Registered
125 Posts
really? you can't tint the front windows?!

if a cop pulls you over, couldn't i just tell them that when I bought my car, the windows came tinted? =)
You can tell him that, but one of maybe two things can happen. If you're lucky, you get a warning, if not you get a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dont know about in CA.. but a friend of mine here in MD went to the doctor and told him he gets bad headaches from the sunlight and his doctor wrote him a note that he needs dark tints on his car.
Hes running 5% and cops have pulled him over, only to be disappointed.. :cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
speedzone on san bruno ave by valero is where i got mine for $200. there king tint by tanofran and i got quoted $240 but i could have gotten it a bit cheaper.
bump for kingtint! i just got my 2003 ggp done there. i tinted the front windows also. 7 windows using 3m tint with lifetime warranty against everything for $300. using their other brand suntech was $240 for all 7 windows. suntech comes with a warranty also, but the quality btwn 3m and the suntech is noticeable. suntech uses metalic tint and 3m does not.

douglas is great and knows what hes doing. very professional.

·
Registered
512 Posts
bump for kingtint! i just got my 2003 ggp done there. i tinted the front windows also. 7 windows using 3m tint with lifetime warranty against everything for $300. using their other brand suntech was $240 for all 7 windows. suntech comes with a warranty also, but the quality btwn 3m and the suntech is noticeable. suntech uses metalic tint and 3m does not.

douglas is great and knows what hes doing. very professional.
yeah, imma go wit 3m when i need new tints, wished i went darker with tints then what i got now haha

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm in San Diego and I have tint all around. It just isnt that dark. I got a speeding ticket from a dick of a CHP officer, and he didnt ticket me for the tint. I have 50% on the rear windows, sunroof and visor strip, and 70% on the front windows. I think the official law is that you cant have any tint on the front windows, but they "usually" wont bug you if its not dark. You go limo, you're gonna get nailed for sure.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm in Mountain View, CA and I have tint all around as well. I went with the ceramic pinnacle tint to avoid interference with my GPS and Valentine 1. I had it done at Rocky Mountain tint. They did an awesome job even though they were all the way in Livermore, the service and dedication to the tint job surpassed my expectations.

Rocky Mountain Windowtint -  Servicing the greater bay area since 1988

Check them out. I highly recommend them. Also as far as the cops go I got a fix it ticket when I had my old tint which was peeling that's why I decided to go with Rocky Mountain tint. The fronts were too dark, so I had the whole thing redone with a 55% in the front and 25% all in the back. I have never had an issue since then. By the way the fix it ticket was 10 bucks and I when I went to get it signed off I hadn't taken off the tint but the cop signed it off. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I see you'r in Cali... I think they're just as anal as Minnesota. So I suggest my setup.... 30's up front and 10 everywhere else.... Only recieved 1 warning in a year and a half.

And no, DON'T Tint your front windows! My friend did it on his 3 series and was forced to take them off after his fifth $150+ ticket.... yes he's retarded... lol

·
Registered
796 Posts
Damn those laws in certain states but not mine and the prices . . . damn.
Here in Miami there are no but some friends in Cali have gotten warning, tickets or if the cop is a dick will try and take your tints of on the spot scrapping the glass and all that.

The price down here also is $100 for the whole car and and xtra $20 for the front strip if wanted and thats for the 3m 20%, If anything just buy your own and DIY, it not that hard.

Reactions: azn4life

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i cant find u the dmv page but i know for a fact u cannot have any tint on your front windows.

most cops wont pull you over just for tint anyway usually they add it on to whatever else you did.

im running 5% on all the backs and 20% on the front
havent had a problem yet.
its only a 10$ fix it ticket so not much of a big deal

my friend last week got popped speeding and the cop added on tint
so i know its law

·
Registered
365 Posts
i cant find u the dmv page but i know for a fact u cannot have any tint on your front windows.

most cops wont pull you over just for tint anyway usually they add it on to whatever else you did.

im running 5% on all the backs and 20% on the front
havent had a problem yet.
its only a 10$ fix it ticket so not much of a big deal

my friend last week got popped speeding and the cop added on tint
so i know its law
You got any pics of your car with the tint on?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

not a great pic but its all i got

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
running 20% all around

1 - 20 of 29 Posts