Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people in this forum are gonna tint the windows in their IS 300?

(Front & Back, Left & Right)

Or does the car come tinted already?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
The ES300 doesn't come tinted - I don't imagine the IS will either, and I've seen no mention of tinted windows in any feature list.

I plan on getting mine tinted at the dealer. Dark as possible in the back and the back side windows, and dark as legal in the front side windows. No windshield banner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No tint for mine.. Tint seemed to be going out in California though.. Early 90's Everyone put tint on their car and now most people dont put it on....I think the car will look more nice without the tint...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing as webmaster... I haven't made up my mind yet. I will probably drive the car stock for a while before deciding on any mods.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not only does this impair your night vision to the point where you’re apt to vehicularly rape pedestrians and neighborhood pets, but it also is a surefire way to get tickets every time you start your car. Also worth considering is the reality that this, in fact, does not make your car look badass or aggressive or cool – it makes your car look like some teenage punk moron owns it who’s seen The Fast and the Furious a few dozen times too many, and that he suffers from the same heavy, sweeping, tragic spinal damage as did the makers of the god-awful movie. I made this mistake of tinting my windows when I was a young idiot, so I am trying to save other young idiots from doing the same.

Oh, and let’s talk about the cop/ticket thing, because that’s where young idiots get burned. Cops love braindead sluggards like you who black their windows out – cops love them more than anything, except maybe shooting bad guys in the neck at close range. Cops can’t get enough of surly guys who black their windows out because it’s a guaranteed ticket, it’s impossible to argue, and they know you sank a goodly amount of money into getting the windows tinted out, so there’s no way in hell you are going to tear the tint out to avoid paying the ticket. So pay the ticket you will, and then, the very next week, you’ll get another. Then another. Then another. Before long, your ticket fees will have paid for the Police Department Christmas Party and new, Kevlar-reinforced nightsticks to beat the town drunks with.

But that’s not the end of it. Pretty soon, squad cars will be showing up in front of your parent’s house, and officers, smiling all the while, will kindly request that your parents keep doing whatever it is they did that made you so amazingly stupid. Stupidity pays, the cops will say, and your son is a walking, scowling, slouching ATM. They’ll thank your parents and leave, and before you know it, you’re disowned from the family, separated suddenly and tragically, doomed from that point on to move in with your Uncle Ted, who, unfortunately, smells far too strongly of baby oil and kicks inanimate objects while wearing a tinfoil hat. You’ll have become a failure in every sense of the word, and you will have your blacked-out windows to blame. If only you had suppressed your retardation and passed on the blacked-out windows. If only.

If only.

·
2,412 Posts
It gets over 100 degrees here in the summer. Tint makes a BIG difference in interior temp when the car sits outside during the day.

Tint also adds some level of privacy. You don't feel like you're on display in a fish tank.

Finally, it just plain looks better than non tinted cars imo.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm gonna tint it when we get 1, prolly only 35 all the way around, normally run 35 on the ft and 20's and the back and rear

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
CarbonIS3OO said:
Not only does this impair your night vision to the point where you’re apt to vehicularly rape pedestrians and neighborhood pets, but it also is a surefire way to get tickets every time you start your car. Also worth considering is the reality that this, in fact, does not make your car look badass or aggressive or cool – it makes your car look like some teenage punk moron owns it who’s seen The Fast and the Furious a few dozen times too many, and that he suffers from the same heavy, sweeping, tragic spinal damage as did the makers of the god-awful movie. I made this mistake of tinting my windows when I was a young idiot, so I am trying to save other young idiots from doing the same.

Oh, and let’s talk about the cop/ticket thing, because that’s where young idiots get burned. Cops love braindead sluggards like you who black their windows out – cops love them more than anything, except maybe shooting bad guys in the neck at close range. Cops can’t get enough of surly guys who black their windows out because it’s a guaranteed ticket, it’s impossible to argue, and they know you sank a goodly amount of money into getting the windows tinted out, so there’s no way in hell you are going to tear the tint out to avoid paying the ticket. So pay the ticket you will, and then, the very next week, you’ll get another. Then another. Then another. Before long, your ticket fees will have paid for the Police Department Christmas Party and new, Kevlar-reinforced nightsticks to beat the town drunks with.

But that’s not the end of it. Pretty soon, squad cars will be showing up in front of your parent’s house, and officers, smiling all the while, will kindly request that your parents keep doing whatever it is they did that made you so amazingly stupid. Stupidity pays, the cops will say, and your son is a walking, scowling, slouching ATM. They’ll thank your parents and leave, and before you know it, you’re disowned from the family, separated suddenly and tragically, doomed from that point on to move in with your Uncle Ted, who, unfortunately, smells far too strongly of baby oil and kicks inanimate objects while wearing a tinfoil hat. You’ll have become a failure in every sense of the word, and you will have your blacked-out windows to blame. If only you had suppressed your retardation and passed on the blacked-out windows. If only.

If only.
this is only true if you go with a dark tint...and there are many other reasons to tint other than to "look cool"...

first off, get a tint that compromises between legal and not legal (somewhere between 35% and 50%). this way you don't get hassled by cops (unless you drive like a dumbass). in my years of driving with a tint, i have never received a ticket for illegal tint, and have never once hit/almost hit something due to impaired vision. a tint in this range will not adversely affect your night vision (unelss your vision is really bad, in which case you shouldn't be driving at night anyway).

the pros of having a tint in this percentage range is reduced amount of sun rays which helps keep the car relatively cool during short periods of parking under the sun (of course for long periods any kind of tint or sun blocking won't do any good...) and also, it helps reduce the amount of glare from sunlight when the sun is in a position that cannot be blocked by the sun visor, and you don't have a pair of sunglasses avaliable (which actually reduces a safety hazard).

secondly, some people like privacy while driving, and a light tint helps to deter people from looking directly into your car. even though if they did try to look, they will still be able to see in, but compared to other non-tinted cars, theirs will look like they are under a spotlight whereas yours will look like you are blended into the shadows.

so before you go on saying that everyone who tints their car is a retard, consider it from other points of view and realize that there are people that have tints for practical reasons other than looking cool...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
o wells

it shows that the n00bs are using the search function....i think :-?

·
Registered
283 Posts
CarbonIS3OO
.NET Newbie

Dots: 0

Posted: Today at 10:50 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only.

SRT+R-ECU; HKS H
Wow this guys is funny. He hates the movies, teens, parents, cops, and most of all, those evil TINTS. I am one of those "idiots" he speaks of and will limo tint my car all the way around this thursday and stick my Firefighter sticker on the back so cops don't bother me. CarbonIS300, let me tell you this wisdom usually come from age and experience, you are a notable exception. May I suggest a punching bag?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ya I tinted for privacy, and I like the look, it wasn't because I wanted to be just like the guys from Fast and Furious. Ive blacked out my windows, in both the cars ive had. been pulled over once, so i re-did them. 35 bucks (to me) wasn't a big deal to retint, i can spare 35 bucks. I dont see what you have against it so much, maybe you were that kid who cops pulled over again and again? otherwise let us do what we like, so cali summers get hot, and its not that hard to see a night. T

·
Registered
332 Posts
i love my tint. i couldnt live without it actually. it keeps the inside cooler and it looks nice at night cuz its so dark. it does affect your vision though so if you cant see to well then dont go for it. ive come close sometimes cuz i can barely see at night. so i cruise with the windows down 8) . so i would recommend tint if u like it and if u want a different look to your car

·
Registered
48 Posts
i was thinking about putting 35% in front and 50% in rear, i live in ca, does anyone know if thats legal?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My car has been tinted for 3 years now. Not one cop pulled me over for it.

I have limo tint in the back windows and the front ones are one step lower then limo tint.

I got pulled over 3 times, but not once did the cop write me up for my windows being tinted.

Thomas

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
30 Participants
vincebhe
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing