Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to pull out of my drive way today an I see a cop all the way down, deicided what the hell I have a clean record(no speeding tickets ect) just some parking tickets Ill just go instead of waiting...

WRONG CHOICE I pull out minute later he pulls behind me switched lanes an starts to follow me as I go about my way. Waits till I start pulling into work a mile down the road an 3 stops signs later and RIGHT as I park an start to get out he stops in the parking lot an turns on his lights...

Ends up giving me a tint ticket, guess he couldn't get me for anything else so he went for a cheap on. Thing is though I had my sunroof open its a fairly sunny day, my rears are only like 25% an the front is like 35 or 45%... You can clearly see in even if your behind me looking in or looking in through my side mirrors...

I'm thinking im going to roll down to my Eye doctor on my way to get my coilovers installed an ask for a written letter or statement about how bad my astigmatism is an mail in a letter an the document to the DMV. Ive heard this works so why not?

Funny thing is when I got out an started walking to work he could tell I was pissed with him an he said look man I'm letting you off on your exhaust its illegal. I laughed an said no its not its legal its no louder than the CA LAW, its not 85db or even that close. He then said how do you know are you a DB measurer? I said no but Im not deaf an I think we both know its not 85 db loud its just a cat back, I still am retaining my (3) cats, they make cars louder than this stock now. He said I'm just telling you the law I let you off, I don't remember what I grumbled out but yeah he got back in his patrol car an left. Cant say I wasn't embarrassed my boss what right there too

It humored me a bit, we both know if it was illegal he would have written me a ticket for it...

Heres a pic of my tint...

I don't alter my pictures either, this is straight from my DSLR XTi
on a second note I need to get photoshop

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I hate tint tickets:burningup . They are about the most worthless, pain in the ass , I can't get you for anything else but I felt like pulling you over anyway ticket you can get. I got one a couple of years ago and had to have my tint removed off the front windows to have them sign off.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
well imo that was a stupid move on your part talking back to the cops

i wouldn't pull that decibel card because if you read further into that law it says you aren't allowed to have any form of modified exhaust.

i think you should be really glad that he didn't try to get you for more.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That sucks dude, sounds like that cop just fucked your couch.

Anyways, I can't believe that cops would waste anyone's time with tint tickets. You can clearly see through your fronts, and I do realize any front tint is illegal, but still. I bet if you were a hot chick, or you drove a muscle car this wouldn't have happened.

And as far as your exhaust goes...that is also crap. You should have said you were an acoustician, and that lawn mowers are louder (~90db) than your ride; or even that it was a factory sport exhaust.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well imo that was a stupid move on your part talking back to the cops

i wouldn't pull that decibel card because if you read further into that law it says you aren't allowed to have any form of modified exhaust.

i think you should be really glad that he didn't try to get you for more.
Theres nothing more he could have gotten me for. I even had the front plate back up. I was a little worried he would say hold on let me give you another ticket then but oh well. Whats the VC for exhaust? I looked this morning an I couldn't find that section.

You had this exhaust Mike, I wasn't near WOT an didn't bring it past 2800, I'm pretty sure his windows weren't down either so he didn't even hear it.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Theres nothing more he could have gotten me for. I even had the front plate back up. I was a little worried he would say hold on let me give you another ticket then but oh well. Whats the VC for exhaust? I looked this morning an I couldn't find that section.

You had this exhaust Mike, I wasn't near WOT an didn't bring it past 2800, I'm pretty sure his windows weren't down either so he didn't even hear it.
im not sure what the VC is but i was told this by an Irvine PD. and everyone knows how picky those guys are

im sure he just wanted to get you down for something. don't worry i got pulled over two days ago because the cop thought i had expired registration, but i guess she couldn't read my license plate correctly because of my license plate frame.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not sure what the VC is but i was told this by an Irvine PD. and everyone knows how picky those guys are

im sure he just wanted to get you down for something. don't worry i got pulled over two days ago because the cop thought i had expired registration, but i guess she couldn't read my license plate correctly because of my license plate frame.
Found it, 27150.
Why are CA laws so hard to int erupt? It's basically saying YES an No.
Can anyone that knows there stuff better than I tell me exactly wtf this code means? I searched on some forums(police forums? I dint even know they had those) an I couldn't get a straight answer.

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
or similar device.
(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section
38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to
identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways
shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant
operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of
Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or
exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar
device.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to
passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized
racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a
recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local
governmental authority having jurisdiction.

"excessive or unusual noise" Thats what would be under the discretion of the judge I guess? The noise isn't excessive its under 65db(It's not something you would turn your head for at all) an the limit is 95db I found. As for unusual noise it's not a fart cannon an its just raspy most cars from the factory now have the same sound.

Has anyone gotten this ticket 27150?

·
Registered
670 Posts
That is bull, I was down there visiting from Nevada one time in my old Vette and got a tint ticket even though it's perfectly legal in NV and I had a NV ID and NV plates. He was just being a dick. I fought it of course and won. The judge just laughed and signed it off. There are some cool cops out there but there's always those *$%holes too. My father-in-law is a retired CHP and I mess with him about it everytime I see him. I also get him little gifts like a stuffed pig or something like that.....he just laughs about it...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
That sucks...where did this happen? I've been pulled over around downtown LA before for no front plate, and while one cop was writing the ticket, the other one noticed my 43% tint and mentioned it to the other cop, but he just said "nah, it's not that dark, don't worry about it." So haven't really had any problem with tint around LA.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Your tints don't even look that dark to notice. Man that cop must've been one of many "a$$hole cops" out there. Sorry to hear about that. Oh and I believe your exhaust db can't be over 95db I think. I forget.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
here is the most important part of the exhaust vehicle code (highlighted in bold):
27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.

(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.
as long as that is true, and you don't have a whistle tip, or cut out, or lose catalytic converters, your exhaust is legal. further, if you have a legal exhaust and the company bothered to get it tested, they should include an exemption form when you purchase it.

now if you all haven't noticed, many aftermarket exhausts tend to get louder as they age, so usually the exemptions are limited to 1-2 years after date of purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts