Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the approximate going rate for a decent Tint job in Toronto for an IS300? I don't want anything too expensive but don't want anything too cheap as well.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
There are a couple of choices, the neutral stuff (good for about 5 years) and the titanium stuff (lifetime warranty?!?! I think). The titanium stuff isn't much more so in most cases I'd go for that.

When I spoke to my guy about it, he said that the titanium stuff would pickup the chrome on my black IS. Which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted...I wanted "black". I had both films put over my windows at a range of different tint percentages, but it's impossible to tell what it's going to look like when it's on the car.

Remember that once all windows are tinted, the major source of light is now coming through your front windshield (something I didn't think of). Your fronts will be lighter, and your back darker assuming you have the same percentage all the way around.

35% is the legal limit here...but you can go darker at 28 or 22% The percentages are all out of whack too.

Here's something I found odd. My installer ended up pulling my back seats and speaker covers. He said that on the IS, he has to becauase there is no room back there. I don't know if I fully believe him, but he did it anyways and it looks great. He also said that our defrost lines are thicker than most, and that a little bubbling is expected...again, don't know about that one. Best thing I'd say is meet up with some of your peers in TO and compare to see what you like.

I paid 180 cash for mine, at 35% all around using the neutral stuff. In retrospec, I would've gone with the 28-22%.

g'luck

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
There are a couple of choices, the neutral stuff (good for about 5 years) and the titanium stuff (lifetime warranty?!?! I think). The titanium stuff isn't much more so in most cases I'd go for that.

When I spoke to my guy about it, he said that the titanium stuff would pickup the chrome on my black IS. Which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted...I wanted "black". I had both films put over my windows at a range of different tint percentages, but it's impossible to tell what it's going to look like when it's on the car.

Remember that once all windows are tinted, the major source of light is now coming through your front windshield (something I didn't think of). Your fronts will be lighter, and your back darker assuming you have the same percentage all the way around.

35% is the legal limit here...but you can go darker at 28 or 22% The percentages are all out of whack too.

Here's something I found odd. My installer ended up pulling my back seats and speaker covers. He said that on the IS, he has to becauase there is no room back there. I don't know if I fully believe him, but he did it anyways and it looks great. He also said that our defrost lines are thicker than most, and that a little bubbling is expected...again, don't know about that one. Best thing I'd say is meet up with some of your peers in TO and compare to see what you like.

I paid 180 cash for mine, at 35% all around using the neutral stuff. In retrospec, I would've gone with the 28-22%.

g'luck
hey happy. wow.. your installer told me the exact same thing about the rear defrost lines!!! and he had to do the same thing to tint the rear also. well, it's true .. since both our installer said the same thing. but yeah if u really do study the rear of our car there isn't enough room to do the tinting. (i compared it before) but now since both our installer said the same thing... i wonder if we got the same guy! hehe. my installer's name is steve. i didn't go to his shop (i don't even know if he has one).. he just came to my mechanic's shop and did the job. the brand name of my film is luminar. he said it is the best brand in the states. (i don't know if that is true though) luminar or lumar.. i forgot. i'm not really happy about the passenger window though. but overall i think it is a great job. i paid 250 cash for mine.. since he said 23% is a special film. films that are multiple of 5 are all same price. (180 for multiple by 5 films. 25 extra to do the extra work on the speaker and seats 25 extra for the films and 20 extra to tint the top part of my front windshield. 250)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
HAHAHAH! yeah! Steve! i went to his house in etobicoke

Apparently this guy gets contracted by a bunch of body shops that the dealers (lexus, bmw and mercedes) go to. He doesn't have a garage, but will come to your house to do the install. The install took kinda long on my car (I was sitting there for 3 hours watching him do it) and to be honest, he rushed towards the end cause there was someone else waiting for him.

Him and his son ended up bending/breaking one of the metal/plastic brackets that hold the ass part of the backseat down. The seat wouldn't lock back into place...before freaking out completely, I remembered that I was under warranty and that the dealer would probably cover it. But when I got home, it pissed me off so I just forced it back in there. It's solid again, no worries. Did you get the titanium stuff or the neutral stuff?

so funny

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
HAHAHAH! yeah! Steve! i went to his house in etobicoke

Apparently this guy gets contracted by a bunch of body shops that the dealers (lexus, bmw and mercedes) go to. He doesn't have a garage, but will come to your house to do the install. The install took kinda long on my car (I was sitting there for 3 hours watching him do it) and to be honest, he rushed towards the end cause there was someone else waiting for him.

Him and his son ended up bending/breaking one of the metal/plastic brackets that hold the ass part of the backseat down. The seat wouldn't lock back into place...before freaking out completely, I remembered that I was under warranty and that the dealer would probably cover it. But when I got home, it pissed me off so I just forced it back in there. It's solid again, no worries. Did you get the titanium stuff or the neutral stuff?

so funny
hahahhahahahahahahaha oh man this is getting so funny. yeah in the end his sons and other relatives came to my mechanic's shop too. one of those guys drive the red honda prelude that was tinted super dark eh? hahaha. they're all huge guys. i had no problems with my seat.. but they were in a rush too they tuck in my middle seatbelt buckle underneath. i tried to call him out to fix it but he was too busy. but later i fixed it myself. u just pull out the seat .. simple. yeah... so i guess he doesn't have a shop. and yeah that guy tints lots of nice german cars. i don't know if mine is neutral or titanium. i think it is neutral.... cuz it's like regular tints but darker... how do u determine the difference? his sons are cool... i have the roxster word over my windshield and they suggested me to tint the top part so the word reflects more sharper.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
DUDE! Same happened with me...HAHAHAHA, his son came out to help finish with the install. He started bitchin at his dad that he was going out and shit. That fucker was huge! I saw a completely tricked out something with super dark tints, a minivan and a rav4 when I was there. They completely forgot about my seat belt buckles as well.

Actually, in retrospec, there was quite a few things that i didn't like...but in the end, the tint was a solid job...

We'll have to compare tints at the next meet
too funny man

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
$400!!!!

Canadian?!?!?!

Dude...that's way too much.
haha yo dude i think that's how they play the game eh. work on the tint all together and come up with excuses such as going out or whatsoever. but actually both my mechanic and i didn't like that idea of a bunch of ppl working on a car. i was thinking if they were experienced or not... hehe. but in the end it was an ok job. i'm satisfied. yeah man we gotta compare our tinting next time. again i'm not so happy about my passenger side window. yeah, that minivan got some crazy tints eh. they have like 5% and another layer of 5%.. crazy.

yeah... 400$ for tinting man.. that's way too much.

·
Registered
312 Posts
happysmp said:
$400!!!!

Canadian?!?!?!

Dude...that's way too much.
Front windshield was $125
All sides and rear window was $325

I was mistaken; it was actually $450 (plus tax)

It was Quantum tint, 52% windshield, and 19% all others (I was mistaken about the 22% - verified receipt)

I called around and could not get a better price for that tint. The dealer would not do the front (outsourced to Apple Auto Glass).

Quantum tint is very expensive. I think it looks great and felt it was worth the price. They did an amazing job, and I have not had any issues at all.

I guess that's what counts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
what color is quantum tint? sounds like some telepathic film.. (quantum leap lol) would u notice the difference if u comapre mine? i have 23% all over. looks like a bullet. but i raised my car back to normal today and took out TDD. drives great! actually it drives better with NO TDD and CDD mod. it accelerates so much smoother. and i guess u save more gas. cuz with TDD u're actually pressing x mm more everytime u press the pedal (x mm = the length of your TDD).

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
hey roxster, just got my car back...they reflashed the ECU on my 02!!! yup!
took the Throttle spacer out, and GOT SYNTHETIC in the machine.

Car feels great!

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
hey roxster, just got my car back...they reflashed the ECU on my 02!!! yup!
took the Throttle spacer out, and GOT SYNTHETIC in the machine.

Car feels great!
reflashed ecu? isnt that the same as disconnecting the negative terminal for 10 mins? but yeah... it'll feel a lot better. i changed my oil today too. car feels great.

·
Registered
218 Posts
uploaded new software.. wow. good stuff. so now maybe you have more hp than before... yo.... i think my car looks even better now since it is raised back to normal. my spoiler is pretty big.. and when the car is in stock form it looks pretty big so they actually match. i'll post some new pics when i have time.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
ya know what...it's funny you mentino that about the height. I LIKE the height of the car...the back could use a little lowering though...but I'm content with the fronts...think I'll just look for the L-Tuned sways like boman said

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
ya know what...it's funny you mentino that about the height. I LIKE the height of the car...the back could use a little lowering though...but I'm content with the fronts...think I'll just look for the L-Tuned sways like boman said
hey .. yeah, to be honest i think the car looks sexiest in stock height. yeah, sway bars sounds good.. i might probably think about getting some too..

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
happysmp said:
want l-tuned sways (red) ...we can save on shipping if we go in together?
The reds apparently aren't as aggresive as the yellow TRD sways...
Those, from what I read, are the best ones available... Also, since
you guys are planning to run stock springs the car will still have some
body roll regardless of what route you take....

Hope this helps.

j

1 - 20 of 21 Posts