Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
When I first got my car, I tinted 35% all around but i felt it wasn't dark enough, especially in the back. I got my car redone 20% all around and it looked perfect to me, but driving at night got difficult sometimes without street lights. I also got pulled over so i had to remove the fronts. I had the fronts redone with 35% and its perfect for me now. The difference in % isn't THAT noticable to me and I have no trouble seeing out at night. Let me know if you want to check it out.....Sir...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have 20% in the back windows and 35% on the front, the rear window is mirror though.. I bought the car like this, guess it made it easier to drive at night but the tint job in the rear wasn't good so its a little blurry driving at night so I am going to get 20% on it soon.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i think it's:
yes = back. it does not specify the grade
none = front
sunstrip = windshield

i would suggest you consider the exterior color of your car when you decide what % to use. imo, light tints on light colors and darker tints on dark colors work well. i had a ggp and i installed a 30% tint on both front and back windows and it blended well with the exterior color. i was still visible enough in low light conditions, so i guess that's why cops never bothered me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
^^ i agree. fix it tickets aren't $10 anymore. haha.

I had 20% all around... went to SF for the weekend and a bike cop pulled me over. black tints on a black car is too obvious.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
my car is black and i started with 20% all around- including front passenger/driver windows. those lasted a good 4-5 years. i got pulled over for them maybe 3 or 4 times in the time i had the 20%. i never got pulled over for them in SF, it was ALWAYS in san mateo county (daly city/south city). then i figured if i'm going to get hassled over 20%, i may as well black them out completely. :lol:

so when i got my next fix it ticket, i removed the 20% myself, went to the station to get it signed off, then went straight to the shop to get 5% put on all around. it's been about a year and a half and i haven't been pulled over for the 5% yet.

if you're getting tints, no matter what %, you run the risk of getting hassled. that's just the way it is, so just be prepared for it. also know that a stop for tints can lead to citations for whatever else is illegal on/in your car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If I recall, its 35% front, Any on the back, and nothing but the sunstip on the windshield. Thats my setup right now in a cookie cutter town in so-cal where they give tickets for jay-walking and no fix it ticket yet.
*knocks on a lot of wood*

·
Registered
450 Posts
The ONLY way to not deal with cops at all for tints...its ZERO % up front. No other way.

I personally run 35% all around and haven't had a problem. It was either that or go 20% in the rear and 35% up front, but i prefer that its even all around.

In terms of visibility, 35% is no problem at all. Now, I have driven friends cars that are 20% and 5% (Limo tint). To me, there was a difference in visibility only for parking at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm actually planning on getting tint as well, 35 for the front and maybe 5 in the back. I dont think i'll get bothered since none of my friends with the same get caught up too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts