Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called around for a timming belt & water pump change for is300 & Lexus dealership wanted $1,106 total & the Toyota dealership wanted $575.95 a difference of $530.05. Wanted to know does going with toyota differ only in price & not in the quality of service becuase it's not Lexus doing the work? I guess it also depends on the dealership rep as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just called my local Yota dealer today and asked about the 90k service plus timing belt and water pump and they told me a lil over 1200. That sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Toyota's labor rates are quite a bit lower than Lexus' and the 90k service (timing belt and water pump) is very labor intensive.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then I'll go with the toyota dealership not only for the difference in price but, for the guaranteed work & piece of mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use a Toyota dealership as well. Closer than the Lexus dealer by an hour. As far as service I haven't seen a difference, and as far as parts, if Toyota doesn't have it in stock and Lexus does, Toyota just has Lexus deliver it to them. The few experiences I've had between Lexus and Toyota service has lead me to beleive I'll never need to go to the Lexus service department since my car is now out of warranty. Toyota did my timing belt as well. No problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lexus of Clearwater (Florida) is having a special right now on timing belt replacement of $299.00. I know because my car is in the shop right now getting it done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe that $530.05 was the price without labor?

·
Registered
512 Posts
im a tech at a toyota dealer I dunno we live in way different areas so prices may be a lot different. My dealerships labor rate is 89.99 for 6cyl t belt estimate is 4 hours labor360+belt50+water pump...200=610, plus i think another 2 hours laborfor water pump180=790.....lexus prolly jackes up the prices more (obviously) on everything including labor and thats how youll get that price

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
WOW! Most shops in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area (including the VW dealer i work at) are around $100-120/hr....we are at $115......

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm in Utah and I got mine done at the Toyota dealer for a littler under $1000.

This was for water pump. timing belt, and tranny flush.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its seems the price of timming belt/water pump package does indeed very from state to state city to city. I live near the city of Charlotte, Nc & to have my belt & pump changed just under $600 for this service is a great price compared to what lexus wanted... which was almost double. I advise to definently call around your local dealerships or reputable service /garage stations before you go straight to lexus because you own a lexus. Ain't nothing wrong w/ saving a few bucks as long as the work is waranteed.

·
Registered
960 Posts
We just had the timing belt changed on our Sienna at the local Toyota dealer for $175 parts and labor. I turned down the offer to change the water pump as I've never had a Toyota water pump ever go out on me. Even $530 for the IS300 at a Toyota dealer sounds high to me, was that including the water pump?

Just looking under the hood, the IS t-belt change seems to be an easier job than the Sienna.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just had the timing belt changed on our Sienna at the local Toyota dealer for $175 parts and labor. I turned down the offer to change the water pump as I've never had a Toyota water pump ever go out on me. Even $530 for the IS300 at a Toyota dealer sounds high to me, was that including the water pump?

Just looking under the hood, the IS t-belt change seems to be an easier job than the Sienna.
Yes it was the timing belt & water pump combo & I also think the accessory belt as well for $575.95 at the local toyota dealership. I just wanted it done by a certified mechanic so I know the job is done right & the work is guaranteed. I could attempt it but, I'd like the water pump changed out too so there is no worries with fooling with the timing belt again just in case the water pump did go.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I drove an hour to have mine done in MA from CT its was just under $500 for the belt. The dealer wanted over $1400. I didnt do the water pump but he said it would hae been like another 30 mins of labor and under 200 for the part.

The belt job on these cars is not as easy as it looks from what i understand. They told em the whole front bumper assembly and radiator have to come out. I could be wrong though.

·
Banned
2,059 Posts
i just got my rear brakes, timing belt, spark plugs, and engine oil all changed for 900 bucks. not bad imo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
being i just got my IS and reading and putting 2 and 2 togehter it seems at about 90k we should get these things replaced?

·
Registered
275 Posts
i would actually say that 500.00 bucks for a timing belt and water pump is good.

the lexus dealer may have a higher mark up on parts, and labor is probably more. nature of the buissness.

as a service advisor for a toyota dealership i would recommend since your in there change the front seals, there price is minor compared to the rest of the repair.. labor should only be about .5 more to change, as long as there is no problems(crank pully not coming off.) last thing you wanna have happen is changing the timing belt and then 40 k later your front seals start leaking oil, then its like a double job since all of that gotta come off to get to them.

i also recommend replacing water pump even if its okay due to mileage.

same senerio as cam seals. dont wanna come back and have to replace it all again.
have them inspect the idlers and tensioners for your timing belt also.

replace all drive belts since it only extra in parts

good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts