Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I’m new to the forum and I’m stuck on my timing for my 2003 is300.
I have looked at many threads and posts but I’m still confused and no posts I have read have clarified my confusion. When I started with my timing belt replacement I removed the radiator, front assembly, covers, harmonic balancer, tensioner, roller, crank bolt, and the golden plate that goes by the crank gear. After that I was at the point of replace the water pump and the tensioner, roller and the belt and I did not move any of the cam gears nor the crank and it was lined up with the dots on top of the cams to the marker on the top plate and crank roughly 90 degrees to the left ( I’m not so certain about the crank angle, I’ll try to show in the pictures)
Now without moving any of those things I put the new belt and tensioner and roller and marked the belt with the dots and the markers at the back plate.
When I rotated the crank with the belt all the back for the marks to come back to the top, the marks that I put on the belt skipped over a tooth of the cam gears which is the only places I marked with the belt. Now, with the belt still on, I put the all the gears in what I believe is TDC with the lines on the cams aligned with the back plate markers and the crank rotated with the cam gears too.
Now I removed the belt and the tensioner and put the belt back on with the marks I painted on it with the lines on the cams and back plate markers and put tension put on the belt and tested it again by rotating the engine till the marks came back all the way up and again the belt jumps over one tooth on the cams again. Now here I’m confused bc I kept testing it bc I thought the tension on the belt was a bit loose. So I put a washer between the tensioner and the roller to push more and add more tension but the same thing occurred again, the belt jumped another tooth. I haven’t seen any posts addressing this. So I wanted to make my own post to see the possibilities of what I’m doing wrong. Also another ting I did was push the roller with a bar to add the most tension possible the tension held on its own till I rotated it again so the makes can come back up and again the belt skipped a tooth, and the extra tension I added was not there any more.
This is all I could come up with to figure out how to fix it.
Now the questions that I have are:

Is it normal for that to happen bc I seen videos and people don’t address that bc they only turn the engine two revolutions?
Do I have a bad tensioner?
Am I following the wrong position?
Do I have to align the dots instead of the lines?
Has my crank been off alignment since the beginning?
Lastly, am I a bad DIY’er?lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have looked at many threads and posts but I’m still confused and no posts I have read have clarified my confusion. When I started with my timing belt replacement I removed the radiator, front assembly, covers, harmonic balancer, tensioner, roller, crank bolt, and the golden plate that goes by the crank gear. After that I was at the point of replace the water pump and the tensioner, roller and the belt and I did not move any of the cam gears nor the crank and it was lined up with the dots on top of the cams to the marker on the top plate and crank roughly 90 degrees to the left ( I’m not so certain about the crank angle, I’ll try to show in the pictures)
Now without moving any of those things I put the new belt and tensioner and roller and marked the belt with the dots and the markers at the back plate.
When I rotated the crank with the belt all the back for the marks to come back to the top, the marks that I put on the belt skipped over a tooth of the cam gears which is the only places I marked with the belt. Now, with the belt still on, I put the all the gears in what I believe is TDC with the lines on the cams aligned with the back plate markers and the crank rotated with the cam gears too.
Now I removed the belt and the tensioner and put the belt back on with the marks I painted on it with the lines on the cams and back plate markers and put tension put on the belt and tested it again by rotating the engine till the marks came back all the way up and again the belt jumps over one tooth on the cams again. Now here I’m confused bc I kept testing it bc I thought the tension on the belt was a bit loose. So I put a washer between the tensioner and the roller to push more and add more tension but the same thing occurred again, the belt jumped another tooth. I haven’t seen any posts addressing this. So I wanted to make my own post to see the possibilities of what I’m doing wrong. Also another ting I did was push the roller with a bar to add the most tension possible the tension held on its own till I rotated it again so the makes can come back up and again the belt skipped a tooth, and the extra tension I added was not there any more.

Is it normal for that to happen bc I seen videos and people don’t address that bc they only turn the engine two revolutions?
Belt markes will not rotate back to the same spot for a lot of turns. As for the real marks. If you lined them up on the right stroke. It is right. Rotating it will take a couple turns. (4 stroke)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Belt markes will not rotate back to the same spot for a lot of turns. As for the real marks. If you lined them up on the right stroke. It is right. Rotating it will take a couple turns. (4 stroke)
Ok so to clarify, when testing, I only have to rotate till the marks ( lines not the dots) come back up to the marks on the plate and have to have equal travel? Another thing, I saw the crank gear has a dash as well and behind it on the block there is a marking, will that be a timing mark for the crank as well?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts