Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
You're correct. You should replace the timing belt at 60k. Waiting longer and you're just taking chances. If you don't, you risk doing major damage to the engine. Your choice, new engine or cost of new belt.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
should have bought an IS , then you wouldn't have to worry about that. if your belt breaks, even prematurely, or the tensioner goes bad, the car just runs like a-ss or stops running all together. you tow her to the shop, get her fixed and viola no motor damage. the 2jzge isn't an interference motor.

Originally posted by Michael:
Just curious what the average life of a timing belt would be in any car, more specifically my ES300. I think it's supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles. Has anyone gone longer? I suppose waiting isn't worth cost of possible engine damage.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
should have bought an IS , then you wouldn't have to worry about that. if your belt breaks, even prematurely, or the tensioner goes bad, the car just runs like a-ss or stops running all together. you tow her to the shop, get her fixed and viola no motor damage. the 2jzge isn't an interference motor.

If an IS were available 2 years ago when I bought my ES, than yeah, an IS3 I'd now be driving
At any rate, I'll likely get my timing belt changed soon, since I'm near 60k. But I was told that on "newer" cars (not sure how much newer) There is NO damage to the engine when the timing belt goes, can anyone diss or substantiate this?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if it is an interference motor, than there is damage no matter what, if they made the newer cars that way, then yes it would be true, but i can tell you that honda motors are still valve benders, and a general statement like that is too broad to be true.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i believe the duration for timing belt changes is actually 90k. Talking to some techs at Longo, usually about 125k is when they start needing replacing on the ES300. FYI, 60k is the time for a honda civic. Integras are 90k. All this for every car should be in your service manual provided with the car.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
It took me a long time to find out that the IS300 2JZ-GE is _NOT_ an interference engine. Many, Many Lexus people told me that it was, but Lexus Canada talked to the engineers in Japan and gave me an official answer of "NON INTERFERENCE" engine.

With my old MR2, I think 60K was recommended, but many people would stretch out to 120K before changing it. Even though your engine shouldn't be damaged if it breaks, you would loose all power, which can be a dangerous situation if you are in traffic. At least my MR2 with manual trans, and manual steering is reasonably "coastable" if power is lost. The much heavier IS300 with auto trans and power steering could be very ungainly to drive if the engine completely cut out on you.

Many other Lexus engines _ARE_ inteference design, so it may explain why many Lexus people assume that the IS300 must be too.
Also, some may say that it IS (interference) just to scare you into changing the belt at the recommended interval.

Most BMWs use a chain rather than a belt which does last alot longer.

Lexus probably went with a belt because it is more quiet, and costs less.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
TEG, that was cuz you needed the OFFICIAL answer to your question, which is good or the rest of the IS3 community. I would have just gone "this is the same engine as the NA Supra, which is non interference, therefore the IS3 engine is also non interference."

·
Registered
242 Posts
So what *is* the officially recommended interval for an IS? I don't recall seeing it in my first full reading of the manual.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by TEG:
It took me a long time to find out that the IS300 2JZ-GE is _NOT_ an interference engine. Many, Many Lexus people told me that it was, but Lexus Canada talked to the engineers in Japan and gave me an official answer of "NON INTERFERENCE" engine.

With my old MR2, I think 60K was recommended, but many people would stretch out to 120K before changing it. Even though your engine shouldn't be damaged if it breaks, you would loose all power, which can be a dangerous situation if you are in traffic. At least my MR2 with manual trans, and manual steering is reasonably "coastable" if power is lost. The much heavier IS300 with auto trans and power steering could be very ungainly to drive if the engine completely cut out on you.

Many other Lexus engines _ARE_ inteference design, so it may explain why many Lexus people assume that the IS300 must be too.
Also, some may say that it IS (interference) just to scare you into changing the belt at the recommended interval.

Most BMWs use a chain rather than a belt which does last alot longer.

Lexus probably went with a belt because it is more quiet, and costs less.

So does anyone know whether an ES300's engine is an interference engine? And when I'm supposed to chage the timing belt? I lost my manual in a recent move. I had hoped to get the board's perspective before calling Lexus service and getting talked into what might be a premature or superflous timing-belt change. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Come on - this is IS300.net, not ES300.net... Please don't waste our time with ES300 questions...

And, no I don't know the service interval, but 60-90K is somewhat typical...

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited November 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
My mother's '92 ES300 just had the timing belt changed at the 90k service. The mechanic said that it was cracking (but then again, we're talking about an 8 year old car). 60-90k is right interval, depending how hard/much you drive the car.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Since the ES300 uses a V6, I would assume that it has 2 (TWO!) timing belts (or chains), whereas the IS300 (Inline Six) has only one.

Actually, not all V6s use two timing belts......As a matter of fact, I believe most of them uses just 1 timing belt.

[From TEG: Oh OK - I spoke to soon - I know what you mean - it snakes up and down around the crank. Well, it has to be about twice as long if there is one of them since it has to service both banks of cylinders... how about that??? ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited November 23, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Come on - this is IS300.net, not ES300.net... Please don't waste our time with ES300 questions...

Since the ES300 uses a V6, I would assume that it has 2 (TWO!) timing belts (or chains), whereas the IS300 (Inline Six) has only one.

And, no I don't know the service interval, but 60-90K is somewhat typical...
Lexx Cap'n,

My deepest apologies for unintentionally squandering your time with my post. Personally I'd hoped that those who perceived the post to be a waste of time, wouldn't spend time replying. At any rate, thanks for your insight and that of others regarding typical timining belt maintenance.

I suppose if the replacement interval range is 60-90 thousand miles, a Lexus mechanic may be the only one who knows if the belt (or belts) need to be changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:

nonr of the newer toyota/lexus engines are interferance motors except the tundra v8 so no worries the belt should go at least 100,000 miles. i have a tercel with 240,000 miles on the original belt...

------------------
chris w.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Urg - a Lexus service tech told me that all the new Lexus engines ARE interference designs.

I think this is one of those things where they get trained to tell everyone that they *ARE* interference engines just so that everyone is scared into changing their belts/chains at the suggested interval, and Lexus avoids having the bad rep of their cars being seen on the back of a towtruck or stranded at the side of the road.

I got confirmation that the IS300 (at least) *IS NOT* interfernce, but I am sure Lexus still wants you to get that belt changed well before it breaks on you...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts