Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just purchased a 2001 IS300 with 116 thousand miles. This was a one owner car, so after checking a carfax I came and picked it up.
I asked the owner about timing belt, and he said that never did anything to it. Since I am a girl (not blond) I started to read manuals and found out that timing belt is a 60000 mile service.... Goodness it can brake any time now?
Also I noticed that, as I was driving and as I hit the stop sign and stop light, in full stop mode my car sort of shivers or shakes!!! I thought its a timing belt!
Can you please advise me a reasonable priced mechanic or shop who can check timing belt and other cars useful stuff??
Thanks guys...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Recommended service for the timing beltnis at 90k. The techs at the dealership usually say 100k. I have heard of guys running their oem belt till 150k without issues, though I don't recommend it. This is a costly one to have replaced as it's quite a bit
of labor but a reasonable price would be around 5-700, I have heard over 1100 from the Lexus dealership.

If you are mechanically inclined there are tutorials on this site. I did mine about 5k ago. I was the first one I'd done and I actually found it to be quite simple by comparison to how it's been made out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.