Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at 98k and its time to do some major maintenance. I was quoted $950 by a mechanic at a local shop for the following using "OEM parts":

- timing belt
- idler
- tensioner
- drive belt
- water pump w/ housing
- thermostat
- cam seals
- crank seal
- coolant
- labor

Now I have a friend who told me they can do it out of their garage for about $750 using "Japanese" parts. He used to work for Honda so I know he has some good experience.

How important or unimportant is a shop when it comes to changing the timing belt? My hesitation is that on my previous car, different parts like the alternator, starter, started going bad after a shop changed the timing belt. Also, are Japanese parts similar to OEM parts? Is it worth the savings? What else should be changed in that vicinity while I'm at it?

Any and all help would be appreciated!

BTW... I do not want to do it myself so that is out of the question.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Many, if not most, OEM parts on this car are "Japanese" as these cars were entirely assembled there, so they should typically be one and the same. OEM just stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"-what was put on the car in the factory, essentially.

The timing belt service is not a difficult job for most mechanics, it's just an extremely time consuming one, so if you trust your former Honda tech friend, I would save the $200 and have him do it. The price is right as long as he does a good job, this service routinely runs more than $1,000 at a Lexus dealer, and doesn't even include a few of those maintenance items you included.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You shouldnt care how many times your friend has done this type of work to his Honda, but how experienced he is working on Lexus's. I am in the same boat. I have 141,000 on mine and I am going to just go to pep boys and get all the parts there, thank you for listing those parts by the way. I was going to do it myself because I think I know a thing or two about working on cars. But when it comes down to it, performing the work required is so crucial that any little thing that is missed could ruin your engine. Its best to spend the extra money and have the peace of mind that someone experienced did it right. Where are some good places to buy parts online?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You shouldnt care how many times your friend has done this type of work to his Honda, but how experienced he is working on Lexus's. I am in the same boat. I have 141,000 on mine and I am going to just go to pep boys and get all the parts there, thank you for listing those parts by the way. I was going to do it myself because I think I know a thing or two about working on cars. But when it comes down to it, performing the work required is so crucial that any little thing that is missed could ruin your engine. Its best to spend the extra money and have the peace of mind that someone experienced did it right. Where are some good places to buy parts online?
A lot of people go with ordering their parts from Irontoad. Here is the link to the DIY for the Timing Belt. Hope it helps you out!

http://my.is/forums/f138/diy-timing-belt-water-pump-348511/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.