Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ive posted a few threads about my friend getting his 01 is300 with 115k miles on it, all electrical/AC and gas gauge problems have been fixed, now to possible in the near future things that could happen

1. the history of timing belt and water pump replacement are unknown, i pulled off the cover and looked at timing belt, it doesnt look new but then again doesn't look 9 years old, belt has normal ware, i guess haha, im not sure what to look for but personally it looks ok to me, but then again im no mechanic by any means, so question is, should it be replaced?

2. the transmission in this car seems fine to an extent, it shifts ok up to gear 3, then from 3-4 theres kindve a laggy jerk, but not all the time, just depends on how hard gas pedal is pushed, its not like super bad or anything, just there, you know? and after it warms up it seems to have somewhat of a hard time getting into 5th gear, but then again not all the time, sometimes if im driving it ill switch it over to paddle shifting auto-manual thing and itll go right into 5th gear. but like i said this isnt all the time...... now last night we went to a parking lot and did a few tail whips with gas held to the floor for the most part, and after this is when the transmission shifting was most noticeable, after it got really hot i guess, anyway we just drove for a few mins and shifting was back smooth again. i checked the fluid and its full, kindve a deep purple w/red color, or a somewhat tinted cherry color, i dont know what "burnt fluid" is suppose to smell like but it didnt give off any strong burn smells, anyway i dont know how these transmission are suppose to be, like if this is normal or what, so is this a possible problem or should it even be worried about?

·
Registered
415 Posts
timing belt should be replaced at 105K i believe, should be something to consider doing this year. it couldn't hurt to have the tranny fluid flushed, but unless there's clunking, rattling or very noticeable lag and/or hard shifts i wouldn't worry about it too much. its a used car, its going to have its little quirks, there's no sense in dumping 3K to get the transmission rebuilt unless there's a major problem. hope that helps

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
timing belt should be replaced at 105K i believe, should be something to consider doing this year. it couldn't hurt to have the tranny fluid flushed, but unless there's clunking, rattling or very noticeable lag and/or hard shifts i wouldn't worry about it too much. its a used car, its going to have its little quirks, there's no sense in dumping 3K to get the transmission rebuilt unless there's a major problem. hope that helps

no clunking or rattling, i would say about half throttle is when the lag WITH hard shift is most noticeable , i mean i know my dads f-250 has a hard shift but thats only because he bought a chip that helped firm up the shifting, but this is now f-250 haha, dont get me wrong, the shifting on this IS isnt like a complete dump into gear, just a little lag with a mild dump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.