Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just checking out the engine bay today, and just checked the timint belt to see how tight it was. To my surprise, it wasn't that tight. The thing is I drove my car for 20k miles only.

Should I worry and change the timing belt?

·
Registered
47 Posts
timing belt or drive belt ? timing belt = loose than car will not run . drive belt loose and the car would squeel while running .. best bet is have a lexus tech inspect.

i am assuming that there is nothing wrong .

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
both belts have auto-tensioners. The accessory belt should have up to 1/2 inch of flex in it if you were to push on it.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm.. I guess my question is, is it possible that my timing belt will be worn out, after only 20k miles of usage??

·
Registered
47 Posts
under normal driving , timing belts should be replaced after 90,000 miles . drive belts should last at least 50 - 70 000 . 20 k imho would be very premature in either belt

·
Registered
204 Posts
monkeypee said:
Hmm.. I guess my question is, is it possible that my timing belt will be worn out, after only 20k miles of usage??
You obviously still dont know the different between timing belt and serpentine accessory belt.

When you figure it out, please respond.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
monkeypee said:
I was just checking out the engine bay today, and just checked the timint belt to see how tight it was. To my surprise, it wasn't that tight. The thing is I drove my car for 20k miles only.

Should I worry and change the timing belt?
The timing belt should be tight.
I wouldn't think it would stretch after only 20k miles.
You're probably looking at the wrong belt.

If your timing belt is loose, you would have probably bent all your valves already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts