Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 IS 300 with 47,000 miles. I looked thru all the forums here and cannot seem to find a consistent answer on whether the engine is an interference or non-interference engine. I asked my dealer a few years back and I was told that it's a non-interference engine and in reading the posts on my.IS, it's about a 50/50 split in replies. I have not yet replaced my timing belt (service rec of 90K miles or 72 mos.), and I plan to run it till about 60,000 miles before the change, if the engine is non-interference. So the question is INTERFERENCE or NON-INTERFERENCE?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the follow-up, USMCSS300. After your reply, I rechecked with my local dealer and they are now saying it is an Interference motor. I also called Lexus dealers in two other states and they, too, said Interference.

So now I'm a little leery about driving the car since I purchased it in September 2000, just after they came out. The IS has not been exposed to long periods of outdoor temperature extremes, and the drive belt still looks good. So I guess I just need to bite the bullet and at the very least, have the dealer open things up and at inspect the timing belt and go with what they recommend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts