Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 5spd IS300 with 84,000 miles.

1. Is the timing belt supposed to be changed at 90,000?

2. I went to the dealer and they want something like $1750 as part of some 90K service. Seems high. The will do it for around $1,000 alone. Is this a decent price?

3. I was thinking of going to a local mechanic with a good reputation. Has anyone else gone this route. What should I expect to pay for the timing belt?

4. Should I get the water pump done at the same time? I have heard that it is a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i would get a list of what there including.
heres some numbers off the top of my head. id charge around 5 hours for the belt. about 500.00 then the t belt is about 50.00 you need to take out the radiator for about 20.00 for coolant. thats around 570.00

but its always good to change out the oil seals water pump and bearings while your doing the belt. thats were the 1000.00 might be coming from. because if any of those extra things goes out you have to pay that 5+ hours to replace them. id save up and do everything related to the timing belt at once.
if you do your own oil changes and rotate your own tires id stay away from the service. just have them do they stuff you don't feel comfortable with.
because thats a vvti motor if you don't take the belt off right it could send the valves right into the pistons which is not good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts