Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to change my timing belt. It has done 150K km.
I get conflicting advice on whether I need to change the Idler pulley &/or tensioner. Some even tell me I need to change the water pump !
Do I really need to change all these, or just the Belt ?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
People get all those things changed cause it's easier and cheaper in the long run than to do the water pump later on. It's double the labor that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't really looking for peace of mind answers. Of courses one can change everything down to the wheel bolts.
My question really is, does the pulley and tensioner need to be changed if they feel and look OK at the time of belt changing. My understanding if the pulley bearings are quiet and smooth and the tensioner feels OK then they will last until the next belt change ..... but I could be wrong.
Has anyone ever reported an Idler pulley or tensioner failure following a belt change ?

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't really looking for peace of mind answers. Of courses one can change everything down to the wheel bolts.
My question really is, does the pulley and tensioner need to be changed if they feel and look OK at the time of belt changing. My understanding if the pulley bearings are quiet and smooth and the tensioner feels OK then they will last until the next belt change ..... but I could be wrong.
Has anyone ever reported an Idler pulley or tensioner failure following a belt change ?
you dont have to if they are working just fine but it is recommended that you do change it and about pulley or tensioner failure, i havent heard anything about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone try to do this service themselves? I looked thru the instructions, and it appears that possibly you need a special tool to complete some of the steps.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Tensioner failure=blown motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts