Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking into purchasing some since my car is stock ride height again and the handling is crappy. Point me in the right direction as to which sway bars are the stiffest and best for the money. I want a sway bar that is thick and stiff. Whatever it is. I'm going to be doing a lot of daily driving with the car.

I have a few questions though. What is the different between aint roll bars and just regular sway bars?

Thanks! Rep always given as well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
anti roll and sway bars are the same thing. I have the TRD yellows and the car rides on rails. Hotchkis has about the same thickness with more adjustability for the price. If I were looking again I would go with them, then maybe eibach if that was too pricey.

Reactions: petaa7

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I just finished reading the old site admin's (tony) review of the TRD yellow vs. stock. vs. hotchkis sway bars.

He also chose Hotchkis as well. I just need to find some for a decent price. I'm in no way spending over 350 + shipping for them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hotchkis sell a good set of sway bar hopupracing.com have free shipping on them. And I do believe that a roll bar and sway bar does the same thing, please correct me if Im wrong. Both are use to reduce body roll.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!

I just found some for $325 Shipped! Awesome! They only had one left too I think. Thanks guys!

I'm on stock spring and tokico illuminas. I'll let you guys know how they feel!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hey Pete, how you doin? If you get Hotchkis just remember to put another layer of paint on it as to prevent any pre-mature rust issues. Just like those crappy jic springs, the weather in the east is very unforgiving. Hotchkis being as stiff as it is will be more prone to rust and break offs due to the higher steel content. Still have those coils?

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Pete, how you doin? If you get Hotchkis just remember to put another layer of paint on it as to prevent any pre-mature rust issues. Just like those crappy jic springs, the weather in the east is very unforgiving. Hotchkis being as stiff as it is will be more prone to rust and break offs due to the higher steel content. Still have those coils?
Yea, i've still got them buddy. They're actually sitting in the basement right now.

I told myself I wouldn't do any more mods to the car but the handling on stock springs and aftermarket struts is horrible.

These sway bars would be exactly what I wanted for a fair price as well! I wouldn't be putting them on until the spring though.

What kind of paint would you suggest I put on them?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Yup, I recently installed Hotchkis sways. I am on Prokit springs w/stock shocks and my car handles like a champ....very responsive. I set both the front and rears to stiff!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
When you get these installed...remember to torque your sway bar end link nuts to 36ft/lb to the fronts and 34ft/lb on the rears. I didn't do this and I was hearing major clunking sounds over everything. Got it torque right and now my car is nice and quiet!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yea, i've still got them buddy. They're actually sitting in the basement right now.

I told myself I wouldn't do any more mods to the car but the handling on stock springs and aftermarket struts is horrible.

These sway bars would be exactly what I wanted for a fair price as well! I wouldn't be putting them on until the spring though.

What kind of paint would you suggest I put on them?
I knew it was just a matter of time before you wanted more handling out of the car, specially coming from those coils. As for the paint, just get a can of epoxy primer (rustoleum) from home depot or lowes so you don't need to sand the sways, just spray it on. do a few coats for good measure.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I knew it was just a matter of time before you wanted more handling out of the car, specially coming from those coils. As for the paint, just get a can of epoxy primer (rustoleum) from home depot or lowes so you don't need to sand the sways, just spray it on. do a few coats for good measure.
+rep. I just ordered the same sways. I will do this before I put them on.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Petaa7... don't just arbitrarily go and get the stiffest bars you can find. If you get too stiff... or one end's stiffness increase much more than the other... you'll start changing the handling characteristics of your car (in a bad way).

TRD Red/Eibach/L-Tuned bars are great for daily drivers.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Petaa7... don't just arbitrarily go and get the stiffest bars you can find. If you get too stiff... or one end's stiffness increase much more than the other... you'll start changing the handling characteristics of your car (in a bad way).

It shouldn't be a problem as many others on these forums have no complaints about the bars being too stiff on mild settings.

·
Registered
281 Posts
if i wanted my body roll to be (minimal AS possible!) what are the best brand to get?
cusco?

or is it a case of getting 1 brand for the front & another brand for the rear? (like going by mm's)
prolly be wiser sticking to a brand thoe

ps.
im not affraid of 'snap' over steer lol.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
^^^^ That's what I'm talking about. There have been people on this forum that thought it would be "cool" to get the stiffest bars they could get. And then they started complaining about "snap oversteer".

·
Registered
5,182 Posts

If one had Eibach pro-kit w/stock shocks then you would want to run stiff sway bars........

Like myself! ;) This combo has been great and the handling has only changed dramatically in a good way. :)

This is my DD as well.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.