Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm in need for some new tires! I had these on for 4 seasons...not too bad i guess?
Although i did drop the car a bit lower last year and i'm sure the increase in camber didn't help either.
This is what they looked like:

Anyways...So i ran 225/40/18 all around...the wheels are 18X8 +40 all around

I'm planning to go the same route for the fronts, BUT...
My question is, would it be safe to run a 235/40/18 in the rears??
Or what would be a good size for the rears if i wanted a staggard setup in tires?

And what tires do you guys recommend??...these were Falken FK 452's

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
You don't have a camber issue, you have MAJOR toe issue. I can see massive "feathering" on the edges of your tires. Get your alignment corrected, to save from premature tire wear in the future.

People always assume uneven tire wear is a direct result of too much negative camber, which is false. Camber does cause uneven wear but nothing that will be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, my bad...I remember reading about that camber vs. toe issue.

Can any alignment shop correct the Toe??

Anyone have any comments on the Kumho Ecsta SPTs?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, how about the 235/40/18 on a 18X8 +40 rim...for the Rears??

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Check the condition of your lower control arm bushings as well. I had bad inner tire wear... mostly specifically where your tire wore out. It frustrated me as well because I got alignments and my car was always in spec. My mechanic informed me (and I read on various places on the net)... that if your lower control arm bushings are gone it can cause this situation. Basically you can get alignments as much as you want... but because the bushings are worn... your suspension won't necessarily stay in the position while you are driving on the road. Hence when you are turning things can get out of wack and contribute to this situation.

Not saying it's the problem for sure... but it's worth checking out. Our cars are the same age... and mine were worn.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have any input on the question i'm asking....

On if a 235/40/18 would fit in the rears on a 18X8 +30?

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
lol... compeltely missed the "actual" question...

But you aren't interested in in solving your tire wear problems at all??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol... compeltely missed the "actual" question...

But you aren't interested in in solving your tire wear problems at all??? :confused:

haha, yahh...i'm gonna be checking out the toe and the lower arm bushings.

I just see if the tires will fit and i wanna purchase the tires asap since the FK's are on sale right now.

Crester, what would you recommend for tire brand since i'm on that subject??..

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
A lot of people seem to like the Falken FK-452's...

What priorities are you looking for in a tire? Cost? Performance?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of people seem to like the Falken FK-452's...

What priorities are you looking for in a tire? Cost? Performance?
Well i'm not planning to track the car at all....so just daily driving essentially, some high way driving.
Nothing too expensive...i hopefully can save up some $$ and get new wheels for next year, so nothing too baller i guess.
Good performance, nothing too crazy. Like i said, not planning to track it.
I was looking at the Kumho Ecsta SPTs, any input on those?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.