Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IS is just under 4 months old and im at about 9700 miles, so i figured i should do an oil change this week cuz im close enough to 10k.

Ive decided to go synth with mobil 1, any advice or things i should take care to remember. i dont think there would be but ive never used synthetic oil, logic says it's like normal oil but that isnt always the case.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
If you are doing it for the first time, let your engine cool down before you do it because the filter is a real bastard to get to..... you will need alot of patience and a filter wrench probably, unless you are super super strong.

·
Registered
250 Posts
shawn54c said:
My IS is just under 4 months old and im at about 9700 miles, so i figured i should do an oil change this week cuz im close enough to 10k.

Ive decided to go synth with mobil 1, any advice or things i should take care to remember. i dont think there would be but ive never used synthetic oil, logic says it's like normal oil but that isnt always the case.

9700 first oil change??? wow....thats a :shame: . you should do every 3000 miles

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
FutureISdriver said:
shawn54c said:

9700 first oil change??? wow....thats a :shame: . you should do every 3000 miles
he prolly got his first one free at 5000, and Lexus reccommends every 5000, so he's ok

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
of course i did the 5k free oil change!
i figured they recommended 5k changes so ill stick with those.
yeah ive been checking out that wonderful oil filter placement since i got the car, think i can finagle something to get it outta there.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah ive been checking out that wonderful oil filter placement since i got the car, think i can finagle something to get it outta there.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
shawn54c said:
Is it Manual or AT? If Manual you can pull the filter through the top of the engine. If AT have fun, you can remove the dip stick housing to pull it through the top, or drop it through the bottom of the engine (messy ask Soy) Get the Mobil 1 filter as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
oil

I think 3000 miles oil changes are a little to offend for new cars. In less you are driving the hell out of the car. For new cars 5000 or 7500 are fine. "Lexus reccommends every 5000" Check your manual and you'll see that for normal driving every 7500 miles. If you are using Mobile 1 and changing it ever 3000 miles you are wasting you money.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I changed oil every 4000 with Mobil 1 10w-30 with Toyota oil filter

·
Registered
847 Posts
FutureISdriver said:
shawn54c said:

the shame is on you for thinking that oil changes should be done every 3k miles :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
TomC said:
shawn54c said:
Is it Manual or AT? If Manual you can pull the filter through the top of the engine. If AT have fun, you can remove the dip stick housing to pull it through the top, or drop it through the bottom of the engine (messy ask Soy) Get the Mobil 1 filter as well.
I have an AT and you don't have to remove the dipstick. after a few oil changes, it becomes easy. Its all about the angles, you can practice putting in and removing the filter before actually removing the old filter. The filter only comes out one way at a weird angle. Its better than holding a greasy filter then trying to figure out how its going to come out.

If you have a grounding kit, you do have to remove any wires blocking the path. (I found that out the hard way).

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
last night was a struggle if ive ever seen one.
first, when the dealer put that filter on they torqued it down hardcore, i was able to get down there easily since i have a MT but once down there i couldnt do anything with the filter.

tried the socket-type filter wrenches but i couldnt find the right size (tried two, the first one fit a replacement filter, the second one was just a long shot) so i wrapped it up last night when it got dark and put oil in. gonna go back tomorrow and see if i can exchange the filter wrench with one, but at least now ill be able to drive there and test it out beforehand.

i think i would have been able to do it if it werent for the filter being on so damned tight, ive been doing oil changes for years and from what ive learned you are sposed to hand tighten them then give thme like another half turn or so witha wrench just tolock them in place. oh well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
oil change

I have a grounding kit and agree about it being a bitch. I didn't want to remove any wire from the grounding kit. :pissed: Ended up taking me a half hour and removed my strut bar just to ive me more room, but i did it damnit! :crazy: :chill:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
already have the grounding kit,
that wasnt really as big an issue as the tightness of the whole area in general

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Cleo said:
FutureISdriver said:
shawn54c said:

the shame is on you for thinking that oil changes should be done every 3k miles :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you have a turbo IS you HAVE to change your oil every 3000 miles. HAVE to. No ifs, ands, or buts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts