Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2003, with only 10,000 miles. Just started noticing after driving a few miles when I come to a light or stop, you can hear the typical chirping when the clutch is out, and then goes away when I start to push the clutch in. Any particular reason why so early this would be worn out and would you say this is the throwout bearing?

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Its probably not worn out..... Its a grease packed bearing... Some times there is noise and sometimes there isn't..

The good thing is that its covered under warranty... so if the noise bugs you (which I'm sure it is), have Lexus replace it and have them show you the old throw out bearing to see if its worn out already..

Good Luck

Joe Z :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe Z, thanks for the feedback.

That is exactly what it is doing, certain times there is no noise and others times, noise is constant. Very random at this point.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Actually, if you push the clutch in and the noise goes away, then it's the input shaft bearing. If it was your throw-out bearing, it'd make noise when you get ON the clutch, as this is when it is being worked. So it's actually your input shaft bearing making the noise. Don't be alarmed though, as most input shaft bearings make this noise when the transmission is cold and isn't yet well lubricated.

Hopefully this helps you. JoeZ...I'm a little disappointed you didn't catch this one ;)

Edit: To add, the noise goes away when you push the clutch in because the input bearing is dis-engaged from the flywheel at this point, hence it is no longer spinning with the engine.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Throwout bearing on the 03s had a service bulletin on them. Had mine replaced at 6k. Take it back to the dealer and they will replace it.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
joecrappa said:
Actually, if you push the clutch in and the noise goes away, then it's the input shaft bearing. If it was your throw-out bearing, it'd make noise when you get ON the clutch, as this is when it is being worked. So it's actually your input shaft bearing making the noise. Don't be alarmed though, as most input shaft bearings make this noise when the transmission is cold and isn't yet well lubricated.

Hopefully this helps you. JoeZ...I'm a little disappointed you didn't catch this one ;)

Edit: To add, the noise goes away when you push the clutch in because the input bearing is dis-engaged from the flywheel at this point, hence it is no longer spinning with the engine.
Hey Joe....
Not to burst your bubble.... But its the ThrowOut bearing that chirps or squeaks...

I have heard this same sound on many IS300's... which sounded exactly like my 5 speed Mustang... when its throw bearing began getting noisy...

The IS's had the throwbearing replaced under the TSB's, issued to Lexus dealerships service depts. Which were only changed IF customers complained..

The noise happens with the car cold, warm, hot... etc ..
Actually if you even gently tap the cluth the noise will go away... The throwout bearing which sits in the clutch fork is the culprit.. :cool:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Joe Z said:
Hey Joe....
Not to burst your bubble.... But its the ThrowOut bearing that chirps or squeaks...

I have heard this same sound on many IS300's... which sounded exactly like my 5 speed Mustang... when its throw bearing began getting noisy...

The IS's had the throwbearing replaced under the TSB's, issued to Lexus dealerships service depts. Which were only changed IF customers complained..

Actually if you even gently tap the cluth the noise will go away... The throwout bearing which sits in the clutch fork is the culprit.. :cool:

hmm... I guess I'll take your word for it, but if you ask me the throw-out bearing isn't doing any work when there is no pressure on it. So I don't see how it would be spinning when it's pulled back from the pressure plate splines.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
joecrappa said:
hmm... I guess I'll take your word for it, but if you ask me the throw-out bearing isn't doing any work when there is no pressure on it. So I don't see how it would be spinning when it's pulled back from the pressure plate splines.
But thats when the throw out bearings make the most noise ;) just like on my mustang. the slightest pressure on the clutch and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Lexus wont cover it for 2004 and up, the TSB applies to 02 and 03 and for some reason they are convinced the problem was solved at the factory with 04 and up models. Sadly enough, my shit started chirping after 10k miles on the car. Now with nearly 40k, it doesnt anymore.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
mine started like that. then the clutch went, and everything else. the plate basically shattered. lexus instlaled a new clutch/tranny and everything else under warranty. i even left the short shifter and everything in.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I had this same thing happen. It sounded like a baseball card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. The slightest pressure on the clutch pedal and it went away.

Lexus wouldn't replace anything. They put a spring from the car's frame to something on the tranny. It went away.

I don't know if this was a true fix or just hiding the symptoms of a larger problem though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
this also happened to my 04. they did the spring trick which worked for about 8,000 miles. after that I noticed a shutter at take off. long story short Lexus replaced my flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing, friction surface and the shift fork that runs from the slave cylinder to the throw out bearing under warranty. the car had 22,000 miles at the time.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
ISjunky said:
this also happened to my 04. they did the spring trick which worked for about 8,000 miles. after that I noticed a shutter at take off. long story short Lexus replaced my flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing, friction surface and the shift fork that runs from the slave cylinder to the throw out bearing under warranty. the car had 22,000 miles at the time.
The same thing is happening to mine! I have almost 21,000 miles.

'04, they put that spring on, my car shudders when taking off from a stand still.

Can you elaborate on exactly what was wrong with your car and how you got lexus to fix it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
first post here, but this grabbed my attention hardcore...I have an '02 with 63,000 miles on it and mine makes the high pitched whine with the clutch disengaged also, and is starting to shudder at take-off sometimes...am I still able to have it replaced under warranty? I did not buy the car from a dealer, so I do not know what the powertrain warranty is or the time/mileage limitations are on the TSB. I work for Honda though, so I am kind of curious as to what the differences are warranty-wise. If someone could help me out via pm, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
my300 said:
first post here, but this grabbed my attention hardcore...I have an '02 with 63,000 miles on it and mine makes the high pitched whine with the clutch disengaged also, and is starting to shudder at take-off sometimes...am I still able to have it replaced under warranty? I did not buy the car from a dealer, so I do not know what the powertrain warranty is or the time/mileage limitations are on the TSB. I work for Honda though, so I am kind of curious as to what the differences are warranty-wise. If someone could help me out via pm, I would greatly appreciate it.
Original Lexus Warranty
Basic: 4 Years Or 50,000 Miles
Drive Train: 6 Years Or 70,000 Miles
Roadside: 4 Years Unlimited Mileage
Rust: 6 Years Unlimited Mileage

:bigSmile:

·
Registered
102 Posts
oh, and I was talking with some guys around the shop here, and the guy who posted farther up is correct about which bearing it is...I was kind of confused to about it being the throwout bearing, but that is because it IS the main input shaft bearing. That is the bearing that would make noise with the clutch pedal fully released.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
^^^ In case you missed what I said a few days ago.... :bigSmile:

Joe Z said:

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
i'm glad i caught this thread, i've got the same situation as my300 (2nd owner, non-certified, w/62,000) i wonder if the local dealership will take care of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts